ABS Motor Run

Old May 8th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default ABS Motor Run

I have a 2001 Sebring with a 2.7 engine with about 60k miles on it. A
noise started the other day coming from under the car. I am a mechanic by
trade in the airline industry. After describing the noise to some
co-workers, it might be the ABS hyd motor starting up. It sounds like a
motor running and you can feel a hum when it is running. It runs for a few
seconds then shuts off. It will do it occasionally while I am driving and
it also might do it while the car is stopped, even in park. This is my
first car with ABS, so I am on the "learn as I go" with this system.
Any thoughts to this symptom?? If it is an ABS motor, what would cause it
to run and why?
Thanks for any feedback
Jon

Old May 8th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I can't answer your question, but I have a chrysler product with the abs
braking system, and it can present problems.

Some problems are taking care of under a special warranty clause, some
aren't, you might check out your possibilities with a dealership.

Also you might use the search feature to bring up the recalls issued for
your particular car / problems.

mho
vƒe

Old May 8th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Jetson wrote:
> I have a 2001 Sebring with a 2.7 engine with about 60k miles on it. A
> noise started the other day coming from under the car. I am a mechanic by
> trade in the airline industry. After describing the noise to some
> co-workers, it might be the ABS hyd motor starting up. It sounds like a
> motor running and you can feel a hum when it is running. It runs for a few
> seconds then shuts off. It will do it occasionally while I am driving and
> it also might do it while the car is stopped, even in park. This is my
> first car with ABS, so I am on the "learn as I go" with this system.
> Any thoughts to this symptom?? If it is an ABS motor, what would cause it
> to run and why?
> Thanks for any feedback
> Jon

I have no specific Chrysler advice but I have had, seen and fixed a few
Chevy Pickups of the latest generation that have had a relay fail in the
ABS controler, resulting in causing the ABS pump to run until the
battery drains. The fix is either a new controller or sending the
controler out to be repaied. I suppose one could trouble shoot the
contoller board and do their own soldering work too.

I would get a manual, hopefully it has trouble shooting procedues, if
not it sounds likely that you may have a wheel speed sensor input
problem or a Vehicle speed sensor/wiring issue.

Sorry I have nothing but general advice for ya...
Old May 8th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Jetson wrote:
> I have a 2001 Sebring with a 2.7 engine with about 60k miles on it. A
> noise started the other day coming from under the car. I am a mechanic by
> trade in the airline industry. After describing the noise to some
> co-workers, it might be the ABS hyd motor starting up. It sounds like a
> motor running and you can feel a hum when it is running. It runs for a few
> seconds then shuts off. It will do it occasionally while I am driving and
> it also might do it while the car is stopped, even in park. This is my
> first car with ABS, so I am on the "learn as I go" with this system.
> Any thoughts to this symptom?? If it is an ABS motor, what would cause it
> to run and why?
> Thanks for any feedback
> Jon

It's pretty common for an ABS pump to cycle periodically when
the electronics determine that it's necessary. If it's every 10
minutes, then you probably have a problem. I used to have
that happen with my '95 Integra about once a week or so.
It's just bringing up the ABS pressure, and if the brake fluid
level isn't dropping you have little to worry about.

Old May 8th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Jetson" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have a 2001 Sebring with a 2.7 engine with about 60k miles on it. A
> noise started the other day coming from under the car. I am a mechanic by
> trade in the airline industry. After describing the noise to some
> co-workers, it might be the ABS hyd motor starting up. It sounds like a
> motor running and you can feel a hum when it is running. It runs for a

few
> seconds then shuts off. It will do it occasionally while I am driving and
> it also might do it while the car is stopped, even in park. This is my
> first car with ABS, so I am on the "learn as I go" with this system.
> Any thoughts to this symptom?? If it is an ABS motor, what would cause it
> to run and why?
> Thanks for any feedback
> Jon

More general information here. If you have a habit of pumping the brake
pedal it will cause the ABS accumulator to discharge. The pump will have to
run to build the pressure back up. Try keeping your foot off the brake pedal
except for when you are stopping. Might help.

On the other hand, it may not even be the ABS pump. Does you car have
automatic load leveling or air shocks? Might be a motor involved if it
does. Your car does have an Evaporative system pressure test pump located on
the fuel tank. I have heard of customers complaining about the noise that
pump can make when the computer system turns it on. It only operates under
certain conditions which could seem erratic to you.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old May 9th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Yet another insipid, posturing, full-of-sailboat-fuel, post from the
golfing Webbie!!!

I think everybody understood what Kevin said - even *before* you repeated
it.

He is, after all, an automotive instructor whose main job is to explain
things to his students in a clear, concise way.

Your personal interpretation simply represents the redundancy you are
becoming famous for in your feeble attempts to sound relevant.

You STILL haven't given us ANY examples of the ABS problems that YOU
suggested you have experienced with your MOPAR ABS system.......

.......or was that simply more puffery in your attempts to make people think
you actually know something about cars?

Hey! The Webbie says MOPAR ABS is problematic!

He cannot give specific situations or experiences, but he MUST know, since
he has positioned himself as an "expert."

What a crock!!!!!!

wrote in article
a good point you made Kevin, and should be helpful to all with the abs
braking system who are not aware of it.

i.e. - when applying the brakes to slow / stop the vehicle, if you have
the abs

braking system, you shouldn't _pump_ the brake pedal, but keep the
necessary

steady pressure on it until the braking exercise is complete, so the
owner's manual states.

mho
vƒe

----------

Old May 9th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for all the replies, even if some sounding more like insults to one
persons opinions. I have had the car for 5 years and no I don't pump the
brakes. I drive the car the same since new and the noise just started.

Old May 9th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>what a crock

why don't you save all the verbiage, and btw - have you considered
donating your body to science?

If they accept it, pls. do them a favor, and remove the lp victrola
needle - first.:--)