Check engine light 528i

Old April 11th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Check engine light 528i

I have a 99' 528i and recently the check engine light has come on. I haven't
had a chance to get it to a shop yet, but reading in the manual it says this
light is for emissions only. Will there be any harm to the car if I drive
with this light on for abit till I can get into the shop? My guess is that
it might be O2's as the car has 183K mi on the clock and im not sure when
they were replaced, but again this is my guess.

--
Thank you,

~~~
Branden Nelsen

Old April 12th 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Branden Nelsen wrote:
> I have a 99' 528i and recently the check engine light has come on. I haven't
> had a chance to get it to a shop yet, but reading in the manual it says this
> light is for emissions only. Will there be any harm to the car if I drive
> with this light on for abit till I can get into the shop? My guess is that
> it might be O2's as the car has 183K mi on the clock and im not sure when
> they were replaced, but again this is my guess.

It means you need to get the OBD2 code read to determine what the
problem is. You may be right about the O2 sensor, but you also may be
wrong. Considering the O2 sensors cost about $100 I'd spring for a
diagnosis before throwing parts at it. But that's just me... ;-)

--
-Fred W
Old April 12th 06, 02:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Well, im HOPEING that its not O2's. I dropped the car off this Am at the
mechanic and awaiting his call.

Thanks for the reply Fred!

-Branden

Old April 12th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Well, i heard back. It was a faulty Vaccum line. Going to pitck 'er up now.
$135 later

-Branden