? repl oem headlights /'87 mazda 323 ?

Old January 19th 05, 12:32 PM

Default ? repl oem headlights /'87 mazda 323 ?

one of my headlight assemblies is bad... cracked and discolored, bulb
bad also, so....

i am thinking about replacing the oem "headlight assemblies" on my 1987
mazda 323 wagon with sealed beams.... fabricate and align them...
cheaper... does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

i prefer the sealed beams over the oem... which seem to get dirty,
cracked, etc.... and "new" oem types are about $150, used oems are $50
and up...

sounds crazy doesn't it?

z <>< in northern ohio

thx!

Old January 19th 05, 12:39 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 19 Jan 2005 04:32:01 -0800, "z" > wrote:

>one of my headlight assemblies is bad... cracked and discolored, bulb
>bad also, so....
>
>i am thinking about replacing the oem "headlight assemblies" on my 1987
>mazda 323 wagon with sealed beams.... fabricate and align them...
>cheaper... does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Whatever you do, it will have to meet DOT specifications or you'll get
ticketed by the Cops.

>i prefer the sealed beams over the oem... which seem to get dirty,
>cracked, etc.... and "new" oem types are about $150, used oems are $50
>and up...
>
>sounds crazy doesn't it?

The cost of new OEM type is crazy, your idea is not.
I'm interested in how you're going to do this so you can control beam
, both vertical and horizontal adjustments.

>z <>< in northern ohio
>
>thx!

Good idea, I hope to learn if you are successful with this. My car
isn't amenable to such a modification because I have a wrap-around
lens that includes the directional turn signals along with the
headlamps.

I'm trying to preserve the plastic cover with different polishes, but
can only hope UV doesn't end up destroying them in the end. You're
also going to have to be sure your alternator and wiring can handle
the new load.

Lg

Old January 19th 05, 05:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, z wrote:

> one of my headlight assemblies is bad... cracked and discolored, bulb
> bad also, so.... i am thinking about replacing the oem "headlight
> assemblies" on my 1987 mazda 323 wagon with sealed beams.... fabricate
> and align them... cheaper... does anyone have any comments or
> suggestions? i prefer the sealed beams over the oem... which seem to
> get dirty, cracked, etc.... and "new" oem types are about $150, used
> oems are $50 and up...

Last week you wanted to replace your deadlight with a "driving light". Now
you want to kludge something up and try to make it fit. By the time you've
got all the parts needed to mount sealed beams such that they can be aimed
correctly and they'll *stay* aimed correctly, and you've adapted them to
the wiring in your car, you'll have spent far more money and time than if
you simply just replace the defective headlamp(s) with new OEM, new
aftermarket, or used items.

Old January 19th 05, 11:32 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, z wrote:
>

>>one of my headlight assemblies is bad... cracked and discolored, bulb
>>bad also, so.... i am thinking about replacing the oem "headlight
>>assemblies" on my 1987 mazda 323 wagon with sealed beams.... fabricate
>>and align them... cheaper... does anyone have any comments or
>>suggestions? i prefer the sealed beams over the oem... which seem to
>>get dirty, cracked, etc.... and "new" oem types are about $150, used
>>oems are $50 and up...

> Last week you wanted to replace your deadlight with a "driving light". Now
> you want to kludge something up and try to make it fit. By the time you've
> got all the parts needed to mount sealed beams such that they can be aimed
> correctly and they'll *stay* aimed correctly, and you've adapted them to
> the wiring in your car, you'll have spent far more money and time than if
> you simply just replace the defective headlamp(s) with new OEM, new
> aftermarket, or used items.

Eh, not necessarily... I'm swimming in old Studebaker Lark headlight
assemblies, complete with the mounting plates and adjusters. I'm sure I
could weld one in place so it would work properly and do the wiring in
an hour or so. I've even got a set of Hella E-codes that would fit
right in.

Oh, you don't want it to look like a knot in a dog's ....? you didn't
mention that bit

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.