Explorer 2000 EB Fuel Cap Light

Old November 28th 04, 06:27 AM
Kugar

Default Explorer 2000 EB Fuel Cap Light

On my Ford Explorer 2000 EB's dash board, the fuel cap warning light comes on
when I start the engine then goes out (just as other warning lights on the dash)

BUT, it does not turn on if the fuel cap is NOT capped back on the fuel inlet.

During the last week twice I forgot to cap the fuel inlet after fueling, there
was no warning light on the dash, I discovered my mistake after reaching the
destination, about 50 miles of highway driving..

Where is the sensor for this light and where should I start looking to return it
to normal function ?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old November 28th 04, 07:56 AM
Jim Warman

This sounds like a gnarly problem.... leaving the fuel cap off would
constitute a gross EVAP system leak and should trigger the CEL if left
unatended. At any rate, it will likely require some emissions systems
diagnostics to find the cause. I'd suggest having the PCM scanned for codes
and choosing the appropriate diagnostic routine for your findings.

FWIW... I see no mention of a fuel cap warning light in the WSM until
2002.... Perhaps your owners manual might shed some light on the subject.

Old November 28th 04, 05:30 PM
Kugar

I looked through the manual before posting, the manual only says that if fuel
cap is not replaced or if it is not properly replaced, the fuel cap warning
light will be lit and in due course of time will also trigger the CEL, and that
once the problem is corrected, the CEL should go out after a period of normal
driving.

It also says in bold that it may take the system a LONG time to detect a missing
or mis-applied cap.

[My Thought] The fuel cap warning light should come on sooner than CEL, so that
the vehicle operator could correct the problem before it triggers CEL.

On gross inspection, I do not see any electrical connection to the cap or the
fuel inlet where a sensor could have been.

Matt

'
'FWIW... I see no mention of a fuel cap warning light in the WSM until
'2002.... Perhaps your owners manual might shed some light on the subject.
'
'
'"Kugar" > wrote in message
.. .
'> On my Ford Explorer 2000 EB's dash board, the fuel cap warning light comes
'> on
'> when I start the engine then goes out (just as other warning lights on the
'> dash)
'>

Old November 28th 04, 08:15 PM
Jim Warman

The fuel tank pressure sensor is located right in the tank..... some may be
part of the fuel pump module itself but most that I have seen are a stand
alone sensor somewhere at the top of the tank in the "air dome" area.

I should have mentioned that the length of time required to set the fuel cap
light and/or the CEL can vary greatly with climate. It needs to be warm
enough to generate vapours from the fuel to pressurise the fuel system.
Where I live, we only have two or three months out of the year where the
EVAP monitor can complete.

You are quite right.... the fuel cap light will come on before the CEL. The
fuel cap light should illuminate as soon as the condition is seen and (IIRC)
the CEL needs to see the condition on two or three consecutive drive cycles.
No system is 100% perfect, least of all the EVAP monitoring system. If you
live where it is cold, the EVAP can't prove out and the light just wont
work...

Old November 29th 04, 12:45 AM
Kugar

I am in PA, the average temperature around the time that I had the fuel cap off
was 50-55 F, the length of time that the cap remained off was about 45 minutes
non stop highway driving.

In your experience would it be normal for the EVAP system not to trigger the
fuel cap warning light in the above said circumstances?

Thanks

Matt

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:15:07 GMT, "Jim Warman" > wrote:

[...]
.. .

Old November 29th 04, 01:22 AM
Jim Warman

Yes, it is possible... remember that the light is there not so much as to
alert you to a missing fuel cap as it is to warn you that you have an
evaporative emissions problem and the fuel cap is the most likely cause.
IOW, the light is not a baby sitter like the "check gage" light..... it's
purpose is to try and avoid an unneccesary visit to a service facility.