3.2 A4, manual trans in USA?

Old July 14th 05, 04:02 AM
daytripper

Default 3.2 A4, manual trans in USA?

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:41:28 -0400, Doug Warner >
wrote:

>I test drove a 3.2L A4 recently and found the tiptronic trans to be
>very sluggish, especially in manual mode, where it took a full second
>or more to complete a shift.
>
>So, is there any chance the 3.2 V6 will show up in an A4 Avant in the
>USA this year?
>
>In theory, the Tip SHOULD be capable of consistently completing shifts
>faster than any human could shift a manual gearbox. It's puzzling to
>me that it can't.

Because it's a slush box. It's not DSG - nor even a CVT...
Old July 14th 05, 03:25 PM
Dano58

Right, the auto trans uses fluids to control shifting, so it will never
be as quick or crisp as a manual transmission - which has a direct
connection, via the clutch, to the engine. The DSG is simply a manual
transmission with an automatic clutch. Frankly, I see Audi offering the
DSG with the 3.2 before they offer a traditional manual transmission.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old July 14th 05, 05:12 PM
Ronny

"Dano58" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Right, the auto trans uses fluids to control shifting, so it will never
> be as quick or crisp as a manual transmission - which has a direct
> connection, via the clutch, to the engine. The DSG is simply a manual
> transmission with an automatic clutch. Frankly, I see Audi offering the
> DSG with the 3.2 before they offer a traditional manual transmission.
>
> Dan D
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

DSG is a bit more than "just" manual transmission, it is like having 2
gearboxs. The next gear is always engaged so there is no delay in the
change. It's about the only way you can make a Auto car change as quick as a
manual

Old July 14th 05, 09:23 PM
DS

Doug Warner > wrote in
:

> I test drove a 3.2L A4 recently and found the tiptronic trans to be
> very sluggish, especially in manual mode, where it took a full second
> or more to complete a shift.
>
> So, is there any chance the 3.2 V6 will show up in an A4 Avant in the
> USA this year?
>
> In theory, the Tip SHOULD be capable of consistently completing shifts
> faster than any human could shift a manual gearbox. It's puzzling to
> me that it can't.
>
> To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
> Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

There is no 3.2L V6 Manuals planned for the USA.
That sucks. You need to get a pre-2005.5 A4 B6/8E in order to get the
manual. Or you can get the A3 in a 3.2L DSG later this winter.

What fluid for F250 Manual trans Rich Technology 4 December 15th 04 06:35 PM
Towing an '02 Tacoma 4x4 w/ manual trans. stubbs 4x4 4 December 13th 04 01:04 AM
Replace Manual Trans w/ Auto Dean Jeep 2 December 1st 04 06:51 AM
re-posting manual trans question 93 325i Chris D'Agnolo BMW 0 November 26th 04 03:18 AM