GM Passlock?

Old July 14th 05, 12:39 AM
ZZ

Default GM Passlock?

I'm trying to figure out why the Security light comes on in my 98 Astro. It
starts fine and then after a few seconds the Security light in the dash
comes on solid. It doesn't appear to affect anything. If it kills the
engine and the light blinks, it evidently indicates a problem with the key
but that doesn't appear to be the problem in my case. The only symptom is
the damned light. I believe it's Passlock II, FWIW. I've searched all over
the net and found hundreds of bypass modules but nothing on how to fix it.
I don't think a bypass would fix anything since it's not preventing
starting. Anyone have any ideas where to start or pointers to some info on
how to troubleshoot it? I'm planning on selling the van but need to get
that stoopid light fixed first.

Thanks....
Old July 14th 05, 12:55 AM
mst

(ZZ >) scribbled:

> I'm trying to figure out why the Security light comes on in my 98 Astro. It
> starts fine and then after a few seconds the Security light in the dash
> comes on solid. It doesn't appear to affect anything. If it kills the
> engine and the light blinks, it evidently indicates a problem with the key
> but that doesn't appear to be the problem in my case. The only symptom is
> the damned light. I believe it's Passlock II, FWIW. I've searched all over
> the net and found hundreds of bypass modules but nothing on how to fix it.
> I don't think a bypass would fix anything since it's not preventing
> starting. Anyone have any ideas where to start or pointers to some info on
> how to troubleshoot it? I'm planning on selling the van but need to get
> that stoopid light fixed first.

Passlock II - you mean the special key with a black rectangle
(close to the handle) and a strip of metal in it, on both sides
of the key?

That is mated to the ignition to let it know that that key is
the correct one. Often times, if hte key gets off debris, it
will cause the security light to flash.

Try this: clean that strip of metal (in the black rectangle)
using a QTIP with ISO alchohol and let it dry.

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old July 14th 05, 02:27 AM
Z.Z.

mst wrote:

> Passlock II - you mean the special key with a black rectangle
> (close to the handle) and a strip of metal in it, on both sides
> of the key?
>
> That is mated to the ignition to let it know that that key is
> the correct one. Often times, if hte key gets off debris, it
> will cause the security light to flash.

Nope, my key isn't like that. I think that's the Passlock I (or maybe I
have Passlock III..). The resistor is in the switch, not the key (or so I
understand it). And the light doesn't flash..it comes on steady.

When the ignition is turned on, the Security light comes on, as do all
the others. If it doesn't like the key (so I understand), it shuts the
engine down after 3 seconds, the light will be blinking, and you can't
re-staart for 10 mins. In my case, when the engine starts, the light goes
out for 2 or 3 secs and then comes back on and stays on solid. If I drive
somewhere and then come back to the van like 30 or 45 mins later, the
light will often (but not always) stay off after it starts. It suddenly
started doing this about six weeks ago.

Something must be triggering it to come on after the engine starts but I
don't know what, and can't find any info on the system, hence my posting
here.

Is there a module that controls it, or is it controlled by the computer?

I suppose I could take it to the dealer (as the owner's manual says to
do) and then bend over grab my ankles but that's the last resort.

If could find some info on how it works, I'd really appreciate it...
Old July 14th 05, 07:55 AM
sdlomi2

"Z.Z." > wrote in message
> mst wrote:
>

>> Passlock II - you mean the special key with a black rectangle
>> (close to the handle) and a strip of metal in it, on both sides
>> of the key?
>>
>> That is mated to the ignition to let it know that that key is
>> the correct one. Often times, if hte key gets off debris, it
>> will cause the security light to flash.

> Nope, my key isn't like that. I think that's the Passlock I (or maybe I
> have Passlock III..). The resistor is in the switch, not the key (or so I
> understand it). And the light doesn't flash..it comes on steady.
>
> When the ignition is turned on, the Security light comes on, as do all
> the others. If it doesn't like the key (so I understand), it shuts the
> engine down after 3 seconds, the light will be blinking, and you can't
> re-staart for 10 mins. In my case, when the engine starts, the light goes
> out for 2 or 3 secs and then comes back on and stays on solid. If I drive
> somewhere and then come back to the van like 30 or 45 mins later, the
> light will often (but not always) stay off after it starts. It suddenly
> started doing this about six weeks ago.
>
> Something must be triggering it to come on after the engine starts but I
> don't know what, and can't find any info on the system, hence my posting
> here.
>
> Is there a module that controls it, or is it controlled by the computer?
>
> I suppose I could take it to the dealer (as the owner's manual says to
> do) and then bend over grab my ankles but that's the last resort.
>
> If could find some info on how it works, I'd really appreciate it...

Before I leaned forward, I'd be removing enough glass/dash to reach that
bulb with a pair of looooong needle-nosed pliers-----and render it
inoperative. No need to go so far as to remove it; just break that sucker.