Questions to ask when purchasing '73 mustang Mach-1?

Old January 25th 05, 08:21 PM
Angel Monson

Default Questions to ask when purchasing '73 mustang Mach-1?

Hi again,
I've been thinking on whether i should purchase the '73 Mach-1 and I've
decided I really want to. I know I don't know much about cars, but I want to
learn and I think a 'cool' car like this is the best way. I also want to
maintain it on my own.

I've been working on a list of what I should ask the owner about the car.
What other questions would you ask a seller when buying a Classic Mustang?
Assume that this car isn't being purchased for restoration; it'll be used as
soon as it leaves the lot. For those who haven't seen the previous posts,
it's a '73 Mustang Mach-1 with automatic transmission.

This is what I have so far:
1)vin Number?
2)Door tag number?
3)How many owners?
4)What engine does it have?
5)What parts have been changed?
6)Has it been in an accident?
7)Has the car been repainted?
8)Condition of the dash?
9)Condition of the seats?
10)Where does it have rust? **Should I ask for specifics? Example, is there
rust on the doors?
11)Any problems with automatic transmission (ie. delayed engagement, fluid
level low)?
12)Any problems with engine? Is engine oil clean? Are there any leaks? Is
smoke coming out of the exhaust? Any awkward noises?
13)Does A/C work? Owner said that it worked but it needed gas.

The good news is that I went to one town when I checked it on Saturday, and
when I called yesterday, the owner was at another town (about 50+ miles
away). So I can only assume that the car's been driven at least 50 miles.

Are there any other questions I should ask the owner that are specific to
this year's Mustang?

Thanks again.

Old January 25th 05, 09:40 PM
Mauricio Tavares

Angel Monson wrote:
> Hi again,
> I've been thinking on whether i should purchase the '73 Mach-1 and I've
> decided I really want to. I know I don't know much about cars, but I want to
> learn and I think a 'cool' car like this is the best way. I also want to
> maintain it on my own.
>
> I've been working on a list of what I should ask the owner about the car.
> What other questions would you ask a seller when buying a Classic Mustang?
> Assume that this car isn't being purchased for restoration; it'll be used as
> soon as it leaves the lot. For those who haven't seen the previous posts,
> it's a '73 Mustang Mach-1 with automatic transmission.
>
> This is what I have so far:
> 1)vin Number?
> 2)Door tag number?
> 3)How many owners?
> 4)What engine does it have?
> 5)What parts have been changed?
> 6)Has it been in an accident?
> 7)Has the car been repainted?
> 8)Condition of the dash?
> 9)Condition of the seats?
> 10)Where does it have rust? **Should I ask for specifics? Example, is there
> rust on the doors?
> 11)Any problems with automatic transmission (ie. delayed engagement, fluid
> level low)?
> 12)Any problems with engine? Is engine oil clean? Are there any leaks? Is
> smoke coming out of the exhaust? Any awkward noises?
> 13)Does A/C work? Owner said that it worked but it needed gas.

A lot of your question you should find the answer yourself instead of
completely trusting the owner. For instance,w ith rust you are crawling
under the car and checking the floorpans and trunk and everywhere else.
Repainted you will need to look for overspray (on the rubber). Matching
numbers, buy a book on that; many places do sell them and books on how
to shop for old Mustangs.

--
Mauricio raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

Old January 25th 05, 11:07 PM
Merc

You sure you want the 73? Most people think the 69-70 Mach 1 are the
prettiest.

Merc
69 fastback

Old January 26th 05, 12:02 AM
CobraJet

In article <ZqzJd.149485$KO5.102314@clgrps13>, Merc
> wrote:

> You sure you want the 73? Most people think the 69-70 Mach 1 are the
> prettiest.

Monson is looking at the '73 because a 460 can drop right in with
factory mounts and will subsequently steamroller your 351, Windsor Boy

> Merc

Where's your Thunder Snake #?

> 69 fastback

Still selling yours?

> "Mauricio Tavares" > wrote in message

Yo, Mauricio. Any relation to the music Tavares?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old January 26th 05, 10:27 AM
Merc

Yes I am still hoping to sell and build a 66 shortbox f-100 or a 67-69
shortbox f-100 - of course I will have a built 460! The real question is
though, will anyone pay what I think the car is worth?

Merc
Thundersnake#16

Old January 27th 05, 12:45 AM
CobraJet

In article >, CobraJet
> wrote:

> > "Mauricio Tavares" > wrote in message

> Yo, Mauricio. Any relation to the music Tavares?

The reason I'm asking this is that there's some nifty irony here.
You, "Tavares", have replied to a post from "Angel". 30 years ago the
band "Tavares" had a HUGE disco hit called "Heaven Must Be Missing an
*Angel*".

Just one of those Old Fart things, I guess.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old January 27th 05, 02:00 AM
David M

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:14:56 -0700, CobraJet rearranged some electrons to
form:

> In article <N_TJd.23394$Ob.279@edtnps84>, Merc >
> wrote:
>
>> As soon as the snow melts, I will roll it out of its warm home and take
>> a lot of good pics with the digital camera. The underside is super clean
>> and so is the body so I want to show off its good points. It needs seats
>> recovered, carpets, and should have bumpers and rims rechromed as these
>> parts are all original and showing signs of old age.

> In the meantime, they can check this out:
>
> http://members.dancris.com/~cobrajet/mercsmach.jpg

Damn, that's a lot of snow.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

Old January 28th 05, 06:03 PM
Nicodemus Telrenner

CobraJet > wrote in news:260120051714561176%
:

http://members.dancris.com/~cobrajet/mercsmach.jpg

Oh drool....69 Mach 1....
Old January 29th 05, 12:49 AM
John

"Merc" > wrote in message
> Cool! Even I don't have that pic anymore. Looks good! Not sure I want to
> sell it now.

You selling? Tell me about it please.

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old January 30th 05, 01:36 AM
Merc

Yes, its a 69 deluxe interior fastback built into a mach 1 clone. It has a
351 W with FMX trans and comes with the #s matching 302. The W has edelbrock
intake and carb, and hedman headers. The motor has less than 40000 miles.
The trans is fresh with shift kit. The drivetrain has been gone through
front to back. Everything new. No rust. Rims and bumpers need rechroming.
Interior needs carpets and seats recovered. Runs and drives very nice.
E-brake not hooked up. Will have more pics soon.