Front license plate mounting on '05 GT

Old January 4th 05, 12:17 AM
JohnH

Default Front license plate mounting on '05 GT

My '05 GT has two 'dimples' in the front, plastic bumper for the
purpose of mounting a license plate. I assume that means drilling the
plastic bumper and bolting a plate on. I can envision sheer ugliness.

Any ideas or better mounting tips. Anyone know of frames which would
match body colors (Screaming Yellow, for example)?

TIA

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Old January 4th 05, 12:21 AM

Double sided foam tape?

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old January 4th 05, 12:23 AM
2.3Sleeper

2 sided 3M tape. The kind used on those window guards to keep rain and wind
out. We used to use it all the time to mount plates on trucks for people
that had custom bumpers and had to have plates up front.

Don Manning

Old January 4th 05, 01:09 PM
SVTKate

You can get it at your local body shop supply place.
The tape is gray with an orange liner on it.
Last I checked, it was about $35 a roll, but after you have a roll, you will
use it for other things too.
Like:
Sticking the cat to the wall
keeping the kids off the furniture
practical jokes on your spouse
repairing the wounds inflicted after your spouse found out it was you that
taped their butt cheeks together

Seriously, it works great for other applcations too but it is primarily used
for holding side moldings and emblems on.

Kate

Old January 4th 05, 08:46 PM
JohnH

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:21:39 GMT, > wrote:

>Double sided foam tape?
>
>-Mike

Great idea, thanks!

Old January 4th 05, 08:46 PM
JohnH

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:23:30 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
> wrote:

>2 sided 3M tape. The kind used on those window guards to keep rain and wind
>out. We used to use it all the time to mount plates on trucks for people
>that had custom bumpers and had to have plates up front.
>
>Don Manning
>"JohnH" > wrote in message
.. .
>> My '05 GT has two 'dimples' in the front, plastic bumper for the
>> purpose of mounting a license plate. I assume that means drilling the
>> plastic bumper and bolting a plate on. I can envision sheer ugliness.
>>
>> Any ideas or better mounting tips. Anyone know of frames which would
>> match body colors (Screaming Yellow, for example)?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> John H
>>
>> On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
>> on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
>>
>> "Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to

>resolve it."
>> Rene Descartes

Thanks much! Does it come off when desired? Will a solvent such as
mineral spirits or something allow it to be taken off.

Old January 4th 05, 08:47 PM
JohnH

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:09:36 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>You can get it at your local body shop supply place.
>The tape is gray with an orange liner on it.
>Last I checked, it was about $35 a roll, but after you have a roll, you will
>use it for other things too.
>Like:
>Sticking the cat to the wall
>keeping the kids off the furniture
>practical jokes on your spouse
>repairing the wounds inflicted after your spouse found out it was you that
>taped their butt cheeks together
>
>Seriously, it works great for other applcations too but it is primarily used
>for holding side moldings and emblems on.
>
>Kate

Thanks Kate. I especially like the cat idea!

Old January 5th 05, 02:54 AM
2.3Sleeper

"JohnH" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:23:30 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
> > wrote:
>
> >2 sided 3M tape. The kind used on those window guards to keep rain and

wind
> >out. We used to use it all the time to mount plates on trucks for people
> >that had custom bumpers and had to have plates up front.
> >
> >Don Manning
> >"JohnH" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> My '05 GT has two 'dimples' in the front, plastic bumper for the
> >> purpose of mounting a license plate. I assume that means drilling the
> >> plastic bumper and bolting a plate on. I can envision sheer ugliness.
> >>
> >> Any ideas or better mounting tips. Anyone know of frames which would
> >> match body colors (Screaming Yellow, for example)?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> John H
> >>
> >> On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
> >> on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
> >>
> >> "Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary

> >resolve it."
> >> Rene Descartes

> Thanks much! Does it come off when desired? Will a solvent such as
> mineral spirits or something allow it to be taken off.
>
> John H

You get the stuff off the same way you put it on. Heat. I always warm it up
first with a blow dryer before putting it on. Use a little heat and some
alcohol to get it off.

Don Manning

Old January 5th 05, 08:31 PM
JohnH

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:54:48 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
> wrote:

>"JohnH" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:23:30 -0600, "2.3Sleeper"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >2 sided 3M tape. The kind used on those window guards to keep rain and

>wind
>> >out. We used to use it all the time to mount plates on trucks for people
>> >that had custom bumpers and had to have plates up front.
>> >
>> >Don Manning
>> >"JohnH" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >resolve it."
>> >

>> Thanks much! Does it come off when desired? Will a solvent such as
>> mineral spirits or something allow it to be taken off.
>>
>> John H
>>

>You get the stuff off the same way you put it on. Heat. I always warm it up
>first with a blow dryer before putting it on. Use a little heat and some
>alcohol to get it off.
>
>Don Manning
>

>> On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
>> on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
>>
>> "Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to

>resolve it."
>> Rene Descartes

Thanks Don.

Old January 10th 05, 02:02 AM