Power Steering noise

Old August 24th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pendoy

Default Power Steering noise

Hi,
Can someone help me. I ve just boughr a second hand Honda Accord 95 and
the power steering is noisy when you turn the wheel to the left & right
while the car is not moving.

Regards

Old August 24th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

What is the level of fluid in the power steering (PS) system
reservoir?

Do you see any PS fluid on the ground beneath the car, or
other evidence of PS fluid leaks?

Candidates:
If non-Honda (PS) fluid was added to the system at some
point, certain steering components are being destroyed by
it.

With luck someone simply had the PS fluid system open (e.g.
for a timing belt job, the PS pump is in the way and has to
be removed on some/all Hondas) recently. Or the PS fluid got
low for some reason. Then the problem may be just air in the
system. Buy some genuine Honda PS fluid (available at
Autozone or similar places; it will say something like "For
Hondas only" on it). To purge the air: With everything back
together, and the power steering reservoir full, take the
steering wheel and turn it back and forth 50 times. With
the power steering reservoir full, get a friend to standy by
with a bottle of power steering fluid as you start the car.
When you start the car, the pump will suck down all the
liquid in the reservoir into the system. It is CRITICAL
that the pump not suck air into the system. Start the car
for 1 second and shut it off. As the level goes down have
your friend add to the reservoir. Repeat as needed until
the reservoir level is filled appropriately. When done,
replace the reservoir cap, start the car, and twist the
steering wheel and listen for "squealing". As long as none
is heard, you're fine. Again, it's important to keep air
out of the system.

See also the troubleshooting guide at
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...l/400/11-9.pdf
"Pendoy" > wrote

Old August 24th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"Pendoy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> Can someone help me. I ve just boughr a second hand Honda Accord
> 95 and the power steering is noisy when you turn the wheel to the left
> & right while the car is not moving.
>
> Regards

Describe this noise.

Earle

Old August 24th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Earle Horton wrote:
> "Pendoy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hi,
>> Can someone help me. I ve just boughr a second hand Honda Accord
>> 95 and the power steering is noisy when you turn the wheel to the left
>> & right while the car is not moving.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> Describe this noise.
>
> Earle

no kidding! it's probably just a loose belt.
Old August 25th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Elle wrote:
Buy some genuine Honda PS fluid (available at
> Autozone or similar places; it will say something like "For
> Hondas only" on it).

The auto parts sell a "honda" PS fluid, but it's not geenuwine
honda juice. It's kinda confusing really.. The label will say it's
for honda cars, but on the other hand most all say, "not approved
or tested by honda" , or some such wording.. Kinda made me
paranoid... I had the "wrong fluid" problem on the accord I just
bought, but luckily it was just put in right before I bought it.
I noticed it right off the bat when I saw that ATF red in the
canister..
No bueno..
I've already flushed it twice. The first time I used the "auto parts"
honda PS fluid. I thought, heck, it couldn't be any worse than
the ATF the guy put in it... A guy that works on trucks was
the one that did it.. He had never heard about hondas needing the
special fluid.. Anyway, I flushed it the first time, and drove it about

a week. It was still showing some pink, so I flushed it a 2nd
time, except using the genuine honda PS fluid. I have a dealer
nearby... It's getting fairly normal looking now, but I may flush it
once again just to be on the safe side. And I'll use the real
honda PS fluid again. I found it's only about 50 cents a bottle
higher than the "generic" stuff. The autoparts stuff may be ok, and
most certainly better than ATF, but I sleep better using the
real honda fluid. It takes three bottles to do a flush.. Right at
10 bucks is what I paid at the honda dealer for three bottles.
I don't have any steering rack leaking or pump noise, so hopefully I
caught it before it fouled up the works.
MK

Old August 25th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

> wrote
> Elle wrote:
>> Buy some genuine Honda PS fluid (available at
>> Autozone or similar places; it will say something like
>> "For
>> Hondas only" on it).

> The auto parts sell a "honda" PS fluid, but it's not
> geenuwine
> honda juice.

This is what I meant; it's what I use; and it's worked fine
for me for years.

Transmission fluid and coolant OTOH must be purchased at the
Honda dealer or through an authorized Honda parts online
site.