clunking 1999 xlt explorer

Old December 25th 05, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default clunking 1999 xlt explorer

from front end when i hit even minor bumps i hear a clunking sound from
front end-tranny was rebuilt a year ago and i think its because of that i
replaced shocks but it seems to get worse any ideas,anything i could tighten
or lube or check for wear?, thanks

1999 xlt 111000 milea 4 dr 4wd v6 sohc,thanks

Old December 26th 05, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Did this "clunking" start occurring right after the tranny fix? If so, I
would look at the trans mounts..

Searcher

Old December 30th 05, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have a 99 Limited, it has been in the shop 5 or 6 times for a clunking in
the front end (since around 35,000 Miles 85,000 now) . It almost sounds
like an exhaust pipe noise, but they have been unable to locate & fix it.
They have replace ball joints, tie rod ends and other front end parts, to no
avail. I have replaced the shocks, and the last time in they suggested I do
it again. I will just live with the noise until something falls off.

Old December 31st 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Bob McCloskey" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have a 99 Limited, it has been in the shop 5 or 6 times for a clunking in
>the front end (since around 35,000 Miles 85,000 now) . It almost sounds
>like an exhaust pipe noise, but they have been unable to locate & fix it.
>They have replace ball joints, tie rod ends and other front end parts, to
>no avail. I have replaced the shocks, and the last time in they suggested
>I do it again. I will just live with the noise until something falls off.
> "hermanmunster" > wrote in message
>> from front end when i hit even minor bumps i hear a clunking sound from
>> front end-tranny was rebuilt a year ago and i think its because of that i
>> replaced shocks but it seems to get worse any ideas,anything i could
>> tighten or lube or check for wear?, thanks
>>
>> 1999 xlt 111000 milea 4 dr 4wd v6 sohc,thanks

ISTR an issue with a bush or linkage at the bottom of the steering column
affecting Explorers circa 1998/99.

Simon H

Old January 2nd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Yes, I have the same noise in my 98 and that is what I figure it is - a
bushing/joint on the steering rod. I believe Ford upgraded the part but I'm
not sure of the exact part number or the procedure to replace it. Do you
have any additional DIY info?

--
Allan Williams