Please Help!! Car Will Not Start. Any Ideas?

Old July 17th 05, 03:30 PM
Solomon_Man

Default Please Help!! Car Will Not Start. Any Ideas?

All,
I have a 1989 Chevy Corsica 2.8 V6, that has about 158,000 miles on it.
These miles are mostly highway as I drive a 100 miles (65mph) to and
from work. Anyways my problem;

The car will not start. I have spark on each cylinder wire. I have
pulled the plenum to get to the fuel injectors. Each injector fires
(used baby jars to catch fluid). I also checked each injector wire with
a injector noid light and each injector wire lights. I have 45 pounds
of fuel pressure at the rail. I have a 12 code from the computer, which
says everything is fine. I drained all the gas and replaced with three
gallons of new. I figured at this point it has something to do with
timing so I proceeded to crank sensor. I got that out and replaced it
as it was cracked but it still tested good. Still no start. I am moving
to the DIS Module as it controls timing and injector-ECM firing under
400 RPM. I am also going to test the temperature control sensor. Does
these seem like reasonable tests?

I have done a compression test on 2,4,6 and they read within spec
according to the factory spec manual (100 pounds minimal) with #2 being
the lowest at about 110 pounds.

The problem began when the vehicle was at 65 mph and it died out
unexpectedly. About a hour later it drived fine and I drove it another
week about 600 miles with no problem. I parked the vehicle to change to
my summer vehicle and a few months past, now it will not start at all.

Any Ideas? Please help.

Old July 17th 05, 04:28 PM
edmechanic

Hi I am a part time mechanic. When you check the spark does it
jump at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch in the air. Some times if the spark
can''t jump about 3/4 inch it is too weak. Then we usually spray carb
cleaner into intake manifold while cranking car, if it starts we assume
a fuel problem. I've seen a few cases where even with good spark and
fuel it won't start if the plugs are fouled. Are they all dry black at
the insulators then change plugs and see if start.
You said you parked vechicle maybe gas went bad. Also your
compression seems abit low do you get about 120 psi, if so it should
try to start. For the timing issue perhaps you could have someone
crank car while you aim timing light at mark on pulley. You may have
to make a mark if none there. Put car to TDC on cyl 1 and whiteout
mark.
It is possible chain or gear jumped. Also if hydraulic adjusters
on valves then perhap you need to check oil level, also charge up
battery good and crank alot to help pump up adjusters.

Old July 17th 05, 11:47 PM
~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Old July 18th 05, 04:44 PM
Solomon_Man

All,
I had the DIS Module tested at two parts stores and it came up bad on
all six rounds of testing. Friday is payday so I am going to pick one
up so I can install it over the weekend.

The plugs were all "Clean" and they would spark a fair distance. The
coils were fine.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one as I have been playing with
this car for about 3 days in my spare time.

Thanks for all your help.

I will keep you posted.