Whump whump whump whump whump

Old May 20th 05, 05:47 PM
dogwud

Default Whump whump whump whump whump

That's what I hear when I take a gradual turn (either direction) at around
30-40 mph in my 2003 Passat 4motion. It is definitely coming from the
front wheel area and you can feel it through the floor. Someone said it
could be dirt in the universal joint. Any ideas?

Old May 20th 05, 06:23 PM
DLGlos

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:47:06 -0400, "dogwud" >
wrote:

>That's what I hear when I take a gradual turn (either direction) at around
>30-40 mph in my 2003 Passat 4motion. It is definitely coming from the
>front wheel area and you can feel it through the floor. Someone said it
>could be dirt in the universal joint. Any ideas?

It could also be a bad tire. A buddy recently had an internal belt
delamination in one of his tires and it caused a similar noise and a
strong vibration. You could do a tire rotation and see if the noise
moves with the tire.

OTOH, a bad CV could have a noise like that, although it would be a
bit surprising in such a new car. The joints are protected by rubber
boots, which do fail with age. Only then is the joint exposed to the
elements to pick up water and grit.

For two data points: I have a 94 Passat with original CVs and boots in
fine shape after 98k miles, a friend with a 99 Passat had to have a
boot changed on one axle recently.

Without additional info, and seeing how the car is rather young, I
would start with the tire hypothesis first.

DLG

Old May 20th 05, 06:47 PM
dogwud

I thought tires at first, but just bought four new ones and it the noise is
still there. IF it is the CV joint, how serious is it and how quickly does
this need to be attended to?

Old May 20th 05, 07:48 PM
Joseph Meehan

dogwud wrote:
>I thought tires at first, but just bought four new ones and it the
> noise is still there. IF it is the CV joint, how serious is it and
> how quickly does this need to be attended to?

A CV joint may go a while, but when it fails, you no longer have the
engine connected to the wheels. That is usually an inconvenience and on the
freeway it can be dangerous.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 20th 05, 09:53 PM
Nathan Lucas

"dogwud" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> That's what I hear when I take a gradual turn (either direction) at around
> 30-40 mph in my 2003 Passat 4motion. It is definitely coming from the
> front wheel area and you can feel it through the floor. Someone said it
> could be dirt in the universal joint. Any ideas?

i would guess:

1. tyre deformed
2. CV joint dying
3. wheel bearing screwed. seen this on a few audis, there's no play in the
bearing, but it gets noisy on turns.