90 XJ cranking issue

Old July 7th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Default 90 XJ cranking issue

Haven't sold that darn thing yet, but I drive it around and sometimes after
I drive for 30 mins. or so then go back to crank the thing up again an hour
later it doesn't want to start, just turns over. I usually turn the key
forward in the ignition for a few seconds, then back and turn it forward
again and try cranking more. It eventually will start after a few tries of
this.

If its the fuel pump, do I have to drop the rear gastank to get to it? The
thing is it's from New York and the bottom totally rusted out. I'd have a
fit trying to get all that stuff unbolted and most likely something is gonna
break I'm sure.

Troy

Old July 7th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I would use a spray contact cleaner on the TPS and CPS connections.
That can do it wonders... Even WD40 will work, but a real contact
cleaner is best.

The CPS is located on the top of the drivers side bell housing and the
plug on mine is just above the manifold where heat affects it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 8th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Hmm, well I've replaced the cps sensor already so it must be the TPS... I
remember it drove funny and so I just unplugged it and plugged it back in a
few times and that seemed to fix it. I will get the cleaner now and just
use up the can on all the connections I can find in the thing for good
measure, thanks!

Troy

Old July 8th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

That is the test for the Crankshaft Position Sensor, first going
bad:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...tdcsensor.html
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 10th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

I replaced the cps sensor about a month ago to be sure, and today I cleaned
the TPS sensor connections and the cps just to be sure. I haven't had it
happen today but I notice that since I changed the oil in it yesterday I
have a knocking noise from the valvecover while idling, when the oil
pressure it down and the engine is hot. Maybe the old oil was keeping it
quiet, but should I go with a thicker oil? I'm using 10w30 now, would a
slightly heavier oil make it quieter? It has 150,000 miles on it and I'm
pretty sure none of the previous owners did anything major to it. Shouldn't
be too hard to do some work under there myself would it?

Troy