98 Dodge Stratus - Leaking Head Gasket, Worth Fixing?

Old October 29th 04, 12:59 AM
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:
> ...The 2.4
> 4-cylinder and the 2.7 V6 are particularly Honda-esque. Or maybe the 2.7
> is more Toyota-esque, since its problem is that it cooks its oil to
> sludge like Toyota engines do. Fortunately they got bit hard, and the
> newer engines like the 4.7, 3.7, and 5.7 seem very solid.

Steve - Having said that, why would DC design in the 2.7L as the
baseline engine in some of their new vehicles? Has the root cause of
the problems been fixed, or are they stupider than a box of rocks (or
believe that their customers are)? I've asked this before, but
apparetnly no-one is in the know on this - hopefully one of these times,
someone who knows for sure will post an answer.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old November 1st 04, 05:27 PM
Steve

Bill Putney wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> ...The 2.4 4-cylinder and the 2.7 V6 are particularly Honda-esque. Or
>> maybe the 2.7 is more Toyota-esque, since its problem is that it cooks
>> its oil to sludge like Toyota engines do. Fortunately they got bit
>> hard, and the newer engines like the 4.7, 3.7, and 5.7 seem very solid.

> Steve - Having said that, why would DC design in the 2.7L as the
> baseline engine in some of their new vehicles? Has the root cause of
> the problems been fixed, or are they stupider than a box of rocks (or
> believe that their customers are)? I've asked this before, but
> apparetnly no-one is in the know on this - hopefully one of these times,
> someone who knows for sure will post an answer.

I don't have a CLUE. You've obviously proved that the 2.7 isn't
universally bad, it just has a bad tendency that can show up under
certain conditions and maybe statistically they feel that it is
"reliable enough." And they may well have gotten it fixed in later versions.

But this isn't unique- look how long GM has held onto the 3.4L v6
despite its numerous problems (and how many millions of cars it is in
that have had NO problems). Ditto the whole Ford Modular v8 family- Ford
has spent a ton of time effort and cash into upgrading them to get rid
of high failure rates. And I'm not just slamming Toyota and Honda
either- they've both kept very questionable designs in production for
years and years at a stretch- particularly Honda. They were fixing head
gaskets for free 5 of 10 years before Chrysler engines even started
having an abnormal number of head gasket problems.
Old November 1st 04, 05:27 PM
Steve

Old November 16th 04, 11:07 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll invest getting her fixed.
Trying to see if DC will help out since this is a known issue. But I'm
not expecting too much help. But will post the results of my
conversations.

MP

Old November 16th 04, 11:07 PM

Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Head Gasket Leak? Mandrake Chrysler 0 October 10th 04 10:16 PM
Dodge 2.5L eats another head (and how long is the bottom end good for) Bob Fourney Dodge 6 August 28th 04 01:07 AM
Head Gasket 98 Neon? Simon Cooke Dodge 6 July 29th 04 12:49 PM