'68 Galaxie starter relay wiring

Old July 11th 05, 07:01 AM

Default '68 Galaxie starter relay wiring

I don't trust the wiring at the starter relay on this '68 Galaxie. I
checked the volts at the battery today, with the car idling and got
about 11.5v on a fully charged battery.

The alternator (battery wire) is hooked up to the starter side of the
relay, which seems wrong. There is a cable attached to the battery side
of the relay that is the same color/diameter as the alternator wire, I
haven't figured out what it's connected to, ignition wire maybe?

It seems like there should only be one wire attached to the starter
side of the relay, the one going to the starter.

My manual is no help on this. It covers all the full size fords, so
it's pretty much useless when it comes to anything specific.

Thanks for the help.

Bret

Old July 11th 05, 08:11 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

Dude,

I think this is the second time you have posted here for some question
about this car and I'll tell you again, get a real manual, as I told you
last time. There's no excuse for it.

Here are TWO factory 1968 manuals for your Galaxie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...atego ry=6759
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...atego ry=6759

Buy one, dammit!!!! And shove that Chiltons manual of yours in the
firebox!!!

Ted

oups.com...

Old July 11th 05, 11:58 AM
pater

These old cars are all nuts & bolts, gotta love 'em. If the wire in
question is for sure the output wire from the alternator, it needs to
be hooked to the battery. if it's on the starter side of the solenoid,
move it to the battery side where it belongs, then check the voltage
from there. It should be charging at that point, if not, you must then
investigate the alt. or reg. The one already on the the battery side
(besides the batt. cable) is probably as you say, a fusie link feeding
some kind of main power & in all likelyhood belongs there.Good luck,
let us know if this cures your dilema.

Old July 11th 05, 03:14 PM
Mike Romain

My Jeep uses a Ford relay.

The alternator hooks up on the same post as the battery cable along with
a few other fuse link connections. Fuse links are loops on one end with
about 8" of soft wire joining the harness with a fat rubber tube crimp
connector and act like a fuse in case of a short. The alternator uses
one, so do the headlights for one other circuit.

The starter side of the relay should only have the starter wire hooked
to it.

The small side posts on the relay have the key switch wire on the first
and usually the power wire for the ignition coil from the second side
post. This coil wire 'can' be tagged to the starter side of the relay
or be tagged to the key switch wire and still work. The coil needs
direct battery power when the starter is turning.

The relay itself needs to have a good ground also.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 11th 05, 05:47 PM

> Anything on the battery side might as well be connected to the battery.
> Just to be sure, you mean it's on the same terminal as the battery wire,
> right? Not the relay coil wire that comes from the ignition switch to one
> of the small terminals on the relay, for example.

Right, same terminal as the heavy battery cable.

Old July 11th 05, 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the help, everybody. I'll get to it later today and let
you all know what happens.

Ted - You have me confused with someone else. In any case, I'm happy to
know there is a better manual. Thanks.

Bret

Old July 12th 05, 03:51 AM

If anyone is interested...

I switched the alternator wire over to the battery side terminal oin
the starter relay and now I'm getting 14.5v. Problem solved. Thanks to
everyone for the tip on the deal.

Bret

Old July 12th 05, 03:21 PM
Mike Romain

Thanks for the update. It is always nice to know the outcome.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 15th 05, 11:13 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

wrote:
> > Here are TWO factory 1968 manuals for your Galaxie:

> Not everyone is willing to buy through ebay. "Dood."

OK 'dood' then where else would you get a factory manual for this car? Helm
did not
reprint this one, they only reprinted the Mustang one for that year.

Ted