1949 Chevrolet 3100 Truck - How to Identify Carb

Old February 1st 04, 04:35 PM
Steve

Default 1949 Chevrolet 3100 Truck - How to Identify Carb

How can I identify whether I have a Carter or a Rochester carb in my
1949 Chevy 3100? I am pretty sure it has the original 216 6 cyl. The
carb that is on the engine is a single barrel on the drivers side of
the block with the fuel bowl on the radiator side of the carb and the
linkages on the firewall side. Are there any pictures online showing
the differences? Which manfuacturer did Chevy use as original
equipment?

I have boght this truck as a project and am trying to learn more about
it.

Thanks for the help.

Steve Cooper

Old February 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Steve wrote:

> How can I identify whether I have a Carter or a Rochester carb in my
> 1949 Chevy 3100? I am pretty sure it has the original 216 6 cyl.

According to Chilton's, the engine numbers for 1948 start with "FA" and those for
'49 start with "GA". If your's has either of these, it's probably the original
engine.

Rochester carbs used on '49 Chevys are part number 7002050, model "B". Carter carbs
used in that year are the type W-1 model 684S, type YF model 787S, and type YF
model 787SB. If the number 603 is cast on the face of the flange, it's a Carter
684S. Check your carb for model numbers.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 5th 04, 05:24 AM
Steve

Thanks for the info!!!

Steve

Old February 11th 04, 01:17 PM
Leon Corley

I don't know about the Carter, but the Rochester I have here at my desk
has the RP logo molded into the bottom of the fuel bowl. It's on the
side opposite the throttle arm.

regards,
Leon