OT - Dallas police cars

Old December 22nd 04, 05:52 PM

Default OT - Dallas police cars

I don't know if any of you have been following this.
Dallas uses Craown Vic police cars. Several have been rear-ended at high speeds
and the gas tanks exploded, killing the officer. Dallas sues Ford for "defective
design". Ford puts Dallas on "No sale" status (Why should we continue to sell
you vehicles if you think they are unsafe and sue us?).

Yesterday Dallas found the solution: They bought 20 Dodge Intrepids.

Texas Parts Guy
Old December 23rd 04, 12:16 AM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:19:25 -0600, Steve > wrote:

||> I don't know if any of you have been following this.
||> Dallas uses Craown Vic police cars. Several have been rear-ended at high
speeds
||> and the gas tanks exploded, killing the officer. Dallas sues Ford for
"defective
||> design". Ford puts Dallas on "No sale" status (Why should we continue to
sell
||> you vehicles if you think they are unsafe and sue us?).
||>
||> Yesterday Dallas found the solution: They bought 20 Dodge Intrepids.
||>
||> Texas Parts Guy
||I own an Intrepid (well, Eagle Vision, first-gen Intrepid twin). I love
||Intrepids. But they'll never hold up as copcars- front drives cars never do.
||Now if they'd bought 20 Magnums or waited for 20 Chargers, that would be
|| a potentially very different story. Especially if Chrysler goes back
||to its old form and releases a true Police Spec version of the Charger,
||as rumored. The old K-code police spec Mopars were genuinely different
||from the standard production run, not just painted black-and-whiite.
||Tons of extra welds and other goodies, as well as upgraded suspension
||and brake components.

Yep, I still see those occasionally, with the cheese-holed steel wheels. I bet
they don't have production to the point where they can offer a Police-spec
Magnum, but they should make it a prioroity. That would be good advertising
Texas Parts Guy
Old December 23rd 04, 06:39 PM
Steve

> Yep, I still see those occasionally, with the cheese-holed steel wheels.

You mean these?
http://lonestar.texas.net/~sglacker/...olara/Side.jpg
http://lonestar.texas.net/~sglacker/...lara/wheel.jpg

Those are 80s-vintage M-body copcar wheels (with circa 1970 dog-dish
caps). And no, that '66 is not a cop-spec, they never made any hardtop
(no B-pillar) copcars.

> I bet
> they don't have production to the point where they can offer a Police-spec
> Magnum, but they should make it a prioroity. That would be good advertising
> Texas Parts Guy

I've heard various stories on how the K-codes were built "back in the
day." The most plausible (to me) was that the assembly line did a run of
vehicles where the *procedures* were changed, not necessarily much of
the hardware. The reinforcing boxes and gussets that copcars had were
also used on Hemi and 440 muscle cars, the alternators and electrical
systems were used on the loaded luxury yachts, and the extra welds are
just a procedure change. So it really wouldn't be THAT hard to run off a
build of true K-code type copcars. Although, if you ask me, the Magnum
should get steel suspension components in place of the aluminum parts
for cop duty, and that would be a bit trickier and more expensive than
what had to be done with, say, a '69 Monaco which was pretty heavy-duty
just for REGULAR production.

Old December 23rd 04, 11:40 PM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:39:16 -0600, Steve > wrote:

wrote:
||I've heard various stories on how the K-codes were built "back in the
||day." The most plausible (to me) was that the assembly line did a run of
||vehicles where the *procedures* were changed, not necessarily much of
||the hardware. The reinforcing boxes and gussets that copcars had were
||also used on Hemi and 440 muscle cars, the alternators and electrical
||systems were used on the loaded luxury yachts, and the extra welds are
||just a procedure change. So it really wouldn't be THAT hard to run off a
||build of true K-code type copcars.

Cars are made a lot different today - robotics etc.
Might be more to it than you think.
Texas Parts Guy
Old December 26th 04, 03:00 AM
Punch

or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish,
lobster, long piglet, or what have you.
Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least
15 minutes more.
Serve over steamed rice; this dish is very impressive!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Babies really can be found under a cabbage leaf -
or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sauce
salt pepper, etc
Olive oil
breadcrumbs
Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften.
In skillet, brown the meat in a little olive oil,
then add onions, peppers, and celery (all chopped finely)
and season well.
Place in a large bowl and cool.
Add seasoned breadcrumbs and a little of the tomato gravy,
enough to make the mixture pliable.
Divide the stuffing among the cabbage leaves then roll.
Place seam down in a baking pan.
Ladle tomato gravy on top,
and bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.

Umbilical Cordon Bleu

Nothing is so beautiful as the bond between mother and child,
so why not consume it?
Children or chicken breasts will work wonderfully also.

4 whole umbilical chords (or baby breasts, or chicken breasts)
4 thin slices of smoked ham, and Gruyere cheese
Flour
eggwash (milk and eggs)
seasoned bread crumbs
1 onion
minced
salt
pepper
butter
olive oil

Pound the breasts flat (parboil first if using umbilical
cords so they won?t be tough).
Place a slice of ham and cheese on each, along with some minced onion
then fold in half, trimming neatly.
Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs;
allow to sit for a few minutes.
Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown,
about 6 minut

Old December 26th 04, 05:05 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Punch wrote:

> > and while we're going way OT, I'm starting to hassle GM Canada and
> > Transport Canada as to why the GTO is on the "banned" list from
> > Canada. So far, from riv.ca I've gotten a "it's not allowed, and I
> > don't know why" response.

> Ray, what are you talking about, the GTO is sold in canada!

The GTO is *not* sold in Canada, for it does not meet Canada Motor Vehicle
Safety Standards. Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) are
almost entirely identical to US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
The differences are few and minor.

The US bumper standard is 2.5 mph. The Canadian standard is 8 km/h = 5
mph. That means the Canadian standard is more stringent, but most US-spec
bumpers are built to the Canadian spec for common-market reasons. If you
scrutinize Transport Canada's vehicle importation eligibility list, you
see that most of the vehicles requiring bumper modification are from the
1980s and early '90s.

CMVSS 108 (lamps and reflective devices) requires Daytime Running Lamps,
while US FMVSS 108 merely *permits* them. Low beams, high beams, turn
signals or fog lamps can be wired as DRLs in Canada. This is not the
reason the GTO is not for sale here.

The only other differences between FMVSS and CMVSS requirements:

-CMVSS 208 allows but does not require airbags. FMVSS 208 requires
airbags. Virtually all Canadian-market vehicles have airbag systems
identical to their US-market counterparts.

-CMVSS 208 has never permitted passive seatbelts (motorized or
door-mounted); FMVSS 208 for a period of time in the early-mid '90s
required them if airbags were not present.

-Canada requires child seat anchorages, the US does not. This is not a
reason why the GTO would be forbidden; importation law permits the
aftermarket addition of the anchorages.

CMVSS 210:

-Has very slightly different allowable location range for seat belt
anchorages compared to FMVSS 210. The window of overlap between FMVSS and
CMVSS 210 is enormous, and this is very seldom the reason why a vehicle
might be compliant with one standard but not the other -- though it is
probably why the Pontiac GTO is not eligible for importation into Canada.

There is no provision in Canadian law for the original restraint system to
be modified to comply with CMVSS 208 and/or CMVSS 210; if the vehicle is
noncompliant as manufactured, the car cannot be sold or imported into
Canada until it is 15 model years old.

DS
Old December 26th 04, 06:02 AM
Ray

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Punch wrote:
>

>>>and while we're going way OT, I'm starting to hassle GM Canada and
>>>Transport Canada as to why the GTO is on the "banned" list from
>>>Canada. So far, from riv.ca I've gotten a "it's not allowed, and I
>>>don't know why" response.

>>Ray, what are you talking about, the GTO is sold in canada!

> The GTO is *not* sold in Canada, for it does not meet Canada Motor Vehicle
> Safety Standards. Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) are

I am still awaiting any "official" Transport Canada wording on that.

> -CMVSS 208 has never permitted passive seatbelts (motorized or
> door-mounted); FMVSS 208 for a period of time in the early-mid '90s
> required them if airbags were not present.

The wife's Beretta has those stupid door mounted seatbelts. They do
unbuckle though - did the US spec ones not unbuckle? I vaguely recall
this being true.

> CMVSS 210:
>
> -Has very slightly different allowable location range for seat belt
> anchorages compared to FMVSS 210. The window of overlap between FMVSS and
> CMVSS 210 is enormous, and this is very seldom the reason why a vehicle
> might be compliant with one standard but not the other -- though it is
> probably why the Pontiac GTO is not eligible for importation into Canada.

Dang. That's the best reason I've heard yet. But I'm going to keep on
Transport Canada's butt until THEY tell me why. Like I said, so far
I've been told "you can't import one, but we don't know why."

Ray