green finger leather being eaten????

Old August 17th 03, 08:50 PM
Marc Levenson

Default green finger leather being eaten????

Hi Dave,

It is NOT the bristleworm. I'd expect as much from an Angel fish or an emerald
crab though. Bristleworms eat dead and decaying matter, and are blamed for
everything.

Can you move this coral to a new spot perhaps? You might find your culprit more
easily.

Marc

Dirty Dave wrote:

I have a green finger leather that appears to have something eating at
it. For months it expanded well and had begun to attach to a
neighboring rock. For the last month or so it has stayed retracted
most of the time. During the day it will expand slightly for a couple
of hours. Upon close examination, I noticed what looks like something
has been eating at the right side of the base. I have emerald and red
legged hermits, a variety of star fish, cleaner and coral banded
shrimp, plus a lot of snails. I have stayed up late numerous night
trying to catch something in the act but no luck. I talked to the LFS
and he told me to look for a bristle worm. Well I did and found some.
A week ago I added an arrow crab because I have read they will hunt
down and kill the worms (haven't seen him munching on one yet). Does
it sound like I am on the right track or is there something else I
should be looking for also. The rest of my corals are doing good.
Some of my water parameters are a bit high but it doesn't appear to be
affecting any of the other corals. The tank has been setup for almost
3 years and I didn't make any changes prior to the coral retracting.

135 gallon
150-200 lbs live rock
3-5 dsb
approx 1500 gbh (water circulation provided by an iwaki 55 RLT
connected to 2 1/2 inch sea swirls and 2 maxi-jet 900s)
840 watts VHO lighting on for 13 hours a day.
berlin turbo classic skimmer

temp 80
Ca 420 (salifert)
Alk 11.5 Kh (salifert)
Ph 8.0-8.3 (pinpoint)
magnesium 1320 ppm (salifert)
iodide .03 (salifert)
phosphate .03 (salifert)
ammonia 0.0 (seachem)
nitrite .005 (seachem)
nitrate 0.2 (seachem)

TIA
Dave

--
Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com

Old August 18th 03, 12:37 AM
Dirty Dave

I can't move it. It is attached to my live rock in an area that would
do more harm than good. I have an emerald carb that hangs out in the
rockwork just under the coral. I'll see if I can catch and move him.
Thanks

Dave