Consequences of micropassing/LLBing

Old June 17th 05, 03:53 PM
Arif Khokar

Default Consequences of micropassing/LLBing

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/20...01rollover.txt

Evidently, this person was "run off the road" by a tractor-trailer, went
over the median, and ended up on the opposite side of the interstate.
Old June 17th 05, 03:58 PM
N8N

Arif Khokar wrote:
> http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/20...01rollover.txt
>
> Evidently, this person was "run off the road" by a tractor-trailer, went
> over the median, and ended up on the opposite side of the interstate.

Not sure how this relates to micropassing/LLBing, unless the car was
doing same and hanging out in the truck's blind spot. Otherwise, it
sounds like the truck driver wasn't checking his mirrors.

nate

Old June 17th 05, 04:16 PM
Ted B.

> Not sure how this relates to micropassing/LLBing, unless the car was
> doing same and hanging out in the truck's blind spot. Otherwise, it
> sounds like the truck driver wasn't checking his mirrors.
>
> nate

That's the impression I got, also. -Dave

Old June 17th 05, 04:45 PM
Arif Khokar

N8N wrote:

> Arif Khokar wrote:

>>http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/20...01rollover.txt
>>
>>Evidently, this person was "run off the road" by a tractor-trailer, went
>>over the median, and ended up on the opposite side of the interstate.

> Not sure how this relates to micropassing/LLBing, unless the car was
> doing same and hanging out in the truck's blind spot. Otherwise, it
> sounds like the truck driver wasn't checking his mirrors.

The interstate is rather curvy in this area. It's possible that the
trailer itself went over the lane line while the car was still beside
the truck. The driver may have over-reacted as a result.
Unfortunately, they didn't report at which mile marker the incident
occurred.

Since the driver and the tractor-trailer were travelling northbound,
they would have been going up a steep grade (assuming this occurred
where I think it did). The truck driver wouldn't have been passing
anyone at that point.
Old June 17th 05, 11:08 PM
Dave Head

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:45:53 GMT, Arif Khokar > wrote:

>N8N wrote:
>
>> Arif Khokar wrote:

>>>http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/20...01rollover.txt
>>>
>>>Evidently, this person was "run off the road" by a tractor-trailer, went
>>>over the median, and ended up on the opposite side of the interstate.

>> Not sure how this relates to micropassing/LLBing, unless the car was
>> doing same and hanging out in the truck's blind spot. Otherwise, it
>> sounds like the truck driver wasn't checking his mirrors.

>The interstate is rather curvy in this area. It's possible that the
>trailer itself went over the lane line while the car was still beside
>the truck. The driver may have over-reacted as a result.
>Unfortunately, they didn't report at which mile marker the incident
>occurred.
>
>Since the driver and the tractor-trailer were travelling northbound,
>they would have been going up a steep grade (assuming this occurred
>where I think it did). The truck driver wouldn't have been passing
>anyone at that point.

Semi-trucks and cars are incompatible on the same road.

Much more of the nation's long haul cargo needs to be moved on rails.
Semi-trucks need to be a serious rarity on Interstate Highways.

Dave Head

Old June 18th 05, 06:08 AM
Paul

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:53:45 GMT, Arif Khokar , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/20...01rollover.txt
>
> Evidently, this person was "run off the road" by a tractor-trailer, went
> over the median, and ended up on the opposite side of the interstate.

Sounds like some wierd synchronicity going on here. There was a similar
accident on 95 reported on the same day here (see:
http://tinyurl.com/czs73) Some woman was in the left lane pacing a dump
truck when it blew a tire and swerved into her sending her across the
lanes and into the woods....
Old June 18th 05, 07:05 AM
Arif Khokar

Paul wrote:

> Sounds like some wierd synchronicity going on here. There was a similar
> accident on 95 reported on the same day here (see:
> http://tinyurl.com/czs73) Some woman was in the left lane pacing a dump
> truck when it blew a tire and swerved into her sending her across the
> lanes and into the woods....

It appears that we're in the middle of a stupidity epidemic. Here's
another example:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...s/11920934.htm

The guy was a lawyer, insurance agent, and served as a state
representative in Kentucky. Despite all those qualifications, he pulls
a dumbass maneuver like that. It makes me wonder if insurance agents
get discounts on their rates ...
Old June 18th 05, 04:57 PM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:08:43 -0400, Paul > was
understood to have stated the following:

>Sounds like some wierd synchronicity going on here. There was a similar
>accident on 95 reported on the same day here (see:
>http://tinyurl.com/czs73) Some woman was in the left lane pacing a dump
>truck when it blew a tire and swerved into her sending her across the
>lanes and into the woods....

Why is it LLBs are too stupid to realize this danger? Ah well, at
least her stupidity didn't hurt anyone important.

Old June 18th 05, 06:53 PM
Paul

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:57:44 -0400, David W. Poole, Jr. , said the
following in rec.autos.driving...

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:08:43 -0400, Paul > was
> understood to have stated the following:
>

> >Sounds like some wierd synchronicity going on here. There was a similar
> >accident on 95 reported on the same day here (see:
> >http://tinyurl.com/czs73) Some woman was in the left lane pacing a dump
> >truck when it blew a tire and swerved into her sending her across the
> >lanes and into the woods....

> Why is it LLBs are too stupid to realize this danger? Ah well, at
> least her stupidity didn't hurt anyone important.

Just look @ our resident LLB, known as "POA," among other nyms.

IMO, to ride alongside/micropass any large truck is not a bright idea.
Not just because of the fact that the driver might not see you, but you
don't want to be next to him if a tire lets go. A few years ago, I was
about 400 to 500 ft behind a dump truck who had one of his rear tires let
go. Even at that distance, I felt the shock from the explosion and was
showered with debris.
Old June 18th 05, 07:57 PM
David W. Poole, Jr.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:53:55 -0400, Paul > was
understood to have stated the following:

>Just look @ our resident LLB, known as "POA," among other nyms.

Agreed.

>IMO, to ride alongside/micropass any large truck is not a bright idea.
>Not just because of the fact that the driver might not see you, but you
>don't want to be next to him if a tire lets go. A few years ago, I was

Also, if you're driving through areas with reasonable pedestrian
traffic, and a clueless pedestrian or bicyclist moves into the road,
you *seriously* reduce your ability to avoid them. All you can do if a
vehicle is beside you is reduce your speed. Without an obstacle such
as a vehicle beside you, you have the serious advantage of being able
swerve as well as reducing your velocity.

This is *very* helpful when dealing with those pedestrians and
cyclists who's parents never taught them to stay out of the road, to
look for traffic before entering the roadway, or to wear light colored
clothing when walking in the roadway at night. Some of the night time
pedestrians around here can't be seen until you are almost on top of
them because of their black attire. Ah well, if these pedestrians
don't know any better, getting creamed by a vehicle is merely darwin
rearing it's head.

>about 400 to 500 ft behind a dump truck who had one of his rear tires let
>go. Even at that distance, I felt the shock from the explosion and was
>showered with debris.

I've been behind a semi when it shreaded it's tire, although I was
fortunate to see it coming, so I was holding back a very long way. The
guy in the SUV behind the semi wasn't so fortunate, nor did he adapt
by slowing down or moving from behind the truck. Large chunks of metal
and rubber went over and under, and I assume, directly at, the tail
gating SUVer. All I could do was laugh; it took about a mile for the
semi's tire to completely separate from the rim.