New Clutch For Super Charged/boat pulling 4-Runner Recommendation

Old April 2nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

Default New Clutch For Super Charged/boat pulling 4-Runner Recommendation

I've got a 98 4-Runner 4WD, 3.4L TRD Supercharged motor, which I do some
offroading with, but more importantly I pull a 3700 lb boat/trailer. I'm
needing to replace the clutch and looking for recommendations as the stock
clutch just
doesn't do it with what I'm using it for. I'm interested in an Exedy Safari
Tuff clutch, but havn't been able to find one on the internet. If you know
where to find one, I'd appreciate a link. But also, recommendations on your
own experiences would be appreciated as well on other high performance
clutch kits for something similar. The thing that is probably the toughest
on the clutch is when storing the boat, I have to back it up a driveway with
maybe a 20% grade.

Thanks for your replys,

Ron

Old April 2nd 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

I don't know about the clutch brand but I have to back my boat up a similiar
dwy, and 4lo is the key, takes all the load off the clutch and trans.
. ..

Old April 2nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

Yeah, I already do that, but the clutch is old and slips when I do it, and
now it slips occasionally even
when I'm just driving it without pulling anything, so time to replace it and
wanted to beef it up a bit.

Old April 2nd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

Lokk close at the flywheel for hot spots and heat checking, may need to be
surfaced.

Old April 2nd 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:44:51 -0600, "r" > wrote:

>I've got a 98 4-Runner 4WD, 3.4L TRD Supercharged motor, which I do some
>offroading with, but more importantly I pull a 3700 lb boat/trailer. I'm
>needing to replace the clutch and looking for recommendations as the stock
>clutch just
>doesn't do it with what I'm using it for. I'm interested in an Exedy Safari
>Tuff clutch, but havn't been able to find one on the internet. If you know
>where to find one, I'd appreciate a link. But also, recommendations on your
>own experiences would be appreciated as well on other high performance
>clutch kits for something similar. The thing that is probably the toughest
>on the clutch is when storing the boat, I have to back it up a driveway with
>maybe a 20% grade.
>
>Thanks for your replys,
>
>Ron

You are seeking the wrong fix here. What you need is deeper axle gears
as it will lighten the load on the clutch and the amount of heat being
generated. Even a HD clutch is going to make the same amount of heat
from fricton while being "played" to back trailer up the driveway. You
are exceeding the abilty of your vehicle as it sits and I would not be
surprized in flywheel is damaged from heat too. Sure a strong clutch
can grip harder but it still needs to slip backing up and that is what
is killing it. A deeper axle ratio would make life a lot easier as
3700 lbs it a lot for a manual tranny 4 runner super charger or not.
Whit deeper gears that clutch will have to carry less torque for same
deliver effoty and beable to fully engage at a lower relative ground
speed too which aids clutch too. If you have oversized tires too you
are really frying the clutch!
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old April 2nd 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

SnoMan wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:44:51 -0600, "r" > wrote:
>

>>I've got a 98 4-Runner 4WD, 3.4L TRD Supercharged motor, which I do some
>>offroading with, but more importantly I pull a 3700 lb boat/trailer. I'm
>>needing to replace the clutch and looking for recommendations as the stock
>>clutch just
>>doesn't do it with what I'm using it for. I'm interested in an Exedy Safari
>>Tuff clutch, but havn't been able to find one on the internet. If you know
>>where to find one, I'd appreciate a link. But also, recommendations on your
>>own experiences would be appreciated as well on other high performance
>>clutch kits for something similar. The thing that is probably the toughest
>>on the clutch is when storing the boat, I have to back it up a driveway with
>>maybe a 20% grade.
>>
>>Thanks for your replys,
>>
>>Ron
>>

> You are seeking the wrong fix here. What you need is deeper axle gears
> as it will lighten the load on the clutch and the amount of heat being
> generated. Even a HD clutch is going to make the same amount of heat
> from fricton while being "played" to back trailer up the driveway. You
> are exceeding the abilty of your vehicle as it sits and I would not be
> surprized in flywheel is damaged from heat too. Sure a strong clutch
> can grip harder but it still needs to slip backing up and that is what
> is killing it. A deeper axle ratio would make life a lot easier as
> 3700 lbs it a lot for a manual tranny 4 runner super charger or not.
> Whit deeper gears that clutch will have to carry less torque for same
> deliver effoty and beable to fully engage at a lower relative ground
> speed too which aids clutch too. If you have oversized tires too you
> are really frying the clutch!
> -----------------
> The SnoMan
> www.thesnoman.com

Does a 4-runner have a low range in the transfer case? this might be
the ticket for launching it and backing up that steep grade.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 3rd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

Guys read the posts, yes he has/uses 4w lo.

Old April 3rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

Then he needs practice on the clutch and something strong like a
centerforce clutch.....

One trick for hills is to use the emergency brake to hold the vehicle
instead of riding the clutch. That works really well because it frees
up the leg. No matter the clutch, riding it kills it. Low reverse is
barely crawling at an idle on most vehicles....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 3rd 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 19:44:16 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Then he needs practice on the clutch and something strong like a
>centerforce clutch.....
>
>One trick for hills is to use the emergency brake to hold the vehicle
>instead of riding the clutch. That works really well because it frees
>up the leg. No matter the clutch, riding it kills it. Low reverse is
>barely crawling at an idle on most vehicles....

Not sure what vehicles you are talking about except maybe a old truck
with a granny reverse which a 4 runner does not have else he would not
be having clutch issues.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old April 3rd 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.4x4

SnoMan wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 19:44:16 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
> >Then he needs practice on the clutch and something strong like a
> >centerforce clutch.....
> >
> >One trick for hills is to use the emergency brake to hold the vehicle
> >instead of riding the clutch. That works really well because it frees
> >up the leg. No matter the clutch, riding it kills it. Low reverse is
> >barely crawling at an idle on most vehicles....

> Not sure what vehicles you are talking about except maybe a old truck
> with a granny reverse which a 4 runner does not have else he would not
> be having clutch issues.
> -----------------
> The SnoMan
> www.thesnoman.com

He stated he had a 4 high and a 4 low range. I have 3.31 gears with 33"
tires and a Dana 300 t-case and my low reverse is a 'very' slow walking
speed. Same for low 1st. My Cherokee is the same in low reverse.

If he only has a 4 high range, well.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

New Clutch For Super Charged/boat pulling 4-Runner Recommendation r 4x4 16 April 6th 06 07:33 PM
squeaking clutch at friction point sandheep Mazda 26 February 17th 06 01:30 PM
95 Jeep Wrangler Shifting problems [email protected] Jeep 12 January 21st 05 06:56 PM
stuck caliper... Abeness Honda 113 December 7th 04 01:22 AM
Clutch died on '96 Golf 1.8 Wakeley Purple VW water cooled 12 October 21st 04 10:31 AM