Not rec... But it's a 4X4! Explorer 4X4 question

Old February 7th 04, 02:21 AM
Clem

Default Not rec... But it's a 4X4! Explorer 4X4 question

Hi all, I have my father in law's Explorer in the garage because he wanted a
power steering leak source found. Well, I found the pump seal leaking, but I
also wanted to try and figure out his 4X4 problem.

Until this winter it's been working great. It's pushbutton (yuk), so I
assumed it was vacuum controlled.... WRONG. I got under there and it looks
like there is a mini windshield wiper motor that shifts the transfer case
(not as yuk as the vacuum, but still yuk).

Is there a fuse that runs this motor? Is it likely the motor that's gone
bad?

The looks of that transfer case shifter makes me glad my Jeep isn't
pushbutton. Why did they have to mess with the ol' pull lever anyway? Is
everything bound to be more complex inevitably? Is it really that much
easier to push a button than to pull a lever?

What a weird front axle too. Kind of a heavy duty truck looking front axle
differential case with wimpy looking CV shafts sticking out of it. Probably
for independent front suspension??

And a booted spot on the rear driveshaft to take up in and out movement....
Interesting. And that "straight rifled" bottom pulley sprocket on the
crankshaft... with a sensor reading it (kind of like the tone ring for abs
systems). With all the teeth evenly spaced what does that contraption do? If
it's the crank position sensor, how can it tell which position it's in with
the teeth evenly spaced?

Thanks for reading, and for offering any ideas.

Is there any special trick to getting the PS pump off? It looks pretty
straightforward. Just wondering before I dig in...

Thanks again.

BTW the explorer must be quite heavier than my cherokee. We both have a 4.0
and my jeep would stomp the heck out of his explorer. I think my father is
going to love driving my jeep home from work tonight.

Old February 7th 04, 12:32 PM
~Sandy~

I have a 92 Explorer had the same problem just tapped on that little
motor a couple of times and now it works.

Old February 7th 04, 12:32 PM
~Sandy~

Old February 8th 04, 09:27 PM
Clem

Ree-hee-heee-heeeeeally?!

That would be a very handy quick fix.

Thanks!

I think my least favorite feature I've found so far is the front pumpkin
cover. Now why would it be prudent to need to take the whole front axle
loose to get the damned cover off?

Oh well... At least that baby's protected! lol

Thanks again.

Old February 8th 04, 09:27 PM
Clem

"~Sandy~" > wrote in message
> I have a 92 Explorer had the same problem just tapped on that little
> motor a couple of times and now it works.

question about an 2001 intrepid GARAGE OWL Dodge 0 January 7th 05 02:01 AM
S8 Report and Reliability Question LIW Audi 2 November 22nd 04 05:02 PM
Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 04:45 PM
E34 question Vernon Balbert BMW 11 October 27th 04 01:37 PM
Radio question bose yar Corvette 2 October 16th 04 11:09 AM