halogen headlights gone cloudy

Old July 29th 05, 10:43 PM
flobert

Default halogen headlights gone cloudy

the headlights on my 87 caravan are going quite cloudy inside. they're
halogen units, not the sealed beam type. Is there any way to 'de
cloud' them, or will i just have to replace them?
Old July 29th 05, 11:13 PM
Coasty

"flobert" > wrote in message
news
> the headlights on my 87 caravan are going quite cloudy inside. they're
> halogen units, not the sealed beam type. Is there any way to 'de
> cloud' them, or will i just have to replace them?

Many vehicles all makes and models have the same problem, they turn cloudy
and yellowish. It is due to the rod film, dirt, and exhaust blasting
against the lexan lenses. There are several polishes that are used to help
and depending on how gone they are the products can even bring it back to
new. I have found and have used standard scratch removers such as Maguire's
Scratch X or other scratch removers. I have found using lexan cleaner and
scratch remover works the best used to clean aircraft canopies. I use an
electric drill with a buffing wheel and cleaned my wife's 94 shadow lenses
like new. I also did it to my nephews car with excelant results. If it
does not work with good results because thet are too far gone follow the
link to order some new ones at a reasonable price.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/headlights~pop.html

--
Coasty
Remove the SPOOGE to reply

Old July 30th 05, 05:03 AM
flobert

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:13:52 -0400, "Coasty"
<uscg_retSPOOGE.comcast.net> wrote:

>"flobert" > wrote in message
>news
>> the headlights on my 87 caravan are going quite cloudy inside. they're
>> halogen units, not the sealed beam type. Is there any way to 'de
>> cloud' them, or will i just have to replace them?

>Many vehicles all makes and models have the same problem, they turn cloudy
>and yellowish. It is due to the rod film, dirt, and exhaust blasting
>against the lexan lenses. There are several polishes that are used to help
>and depending on how gone they are the products can even bring it back to
>new. I have found and have used standard scratch removers such as Maguire's
>Scratch X or other scratch removers. I have found using lexan cleaner and
>scratch remover works the best used to clean aircraft canopies. I use an
>electric drill with a buffing wheel and cleaned my wife's 94 shadow lenses
>like new. I also did it to my nephews car with excelant results. If it
>does not work with good results because thet are too far gone follow the
>link to order some new ones at a reasonable price.
>http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/headlights~pop.html

yeah, lexan cleaner on the outside did nothing, damage is on the
inside bit. I wish i could say it was age, or external factors, but my
civic's just as old, spent a lot more time in traffic (and has double
the mileage) and its still nice and clear.
Old July 30th 05, 06:37 AM
Gene Poon

flobert wrote:

> the headlights on my 87 caravan are going quite cloudy inside. they're
> halogen units, not the sealed beam type. Is there any way to 'de
> cloud' them, or will i just have to replace them?

You can try polishing them with a mild abrasive and it might help some;
but if the cloudiness is all the way through the plastic, replacement is
the only solution.

Old July 30th 05, 06:42 AM
Gene Poon

flobert wrote:

> yeah, lexan cleaner on the outside did nothing, damage is on the
> inside bit. I wish i could say it was age, or external factors, but my
> civic's just as old, spent a lot more time in traffic (and has double
> the mileage) and its still nice and clear.

Could be worse. Could be one of those older Volvos with big rectangular
headlights. A lot of them go REALLY bad, completely cloudy, bordering
on opaque.

I saw a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix that didn't go cloudy, but instead the
lenses crazed, full of cracks. If you hit it, the lenses would probably
have shattered into tiny plastic cubes.
Old August 8th 05, 06:38 AM
tuner98

"" wrote:
> the headlights on my 87 caravan are going quite cloudy inside.
> they're
> halogen units, not the sealed beam type. Is there any way to
> 'de
> cloud' them, or will i just have to replace them?

You can use the polish method Like I did on my Neon but it did’nt get
rid of it all. I’m a tuner soo I bought some custom made diamond euro
headlights. there alot like the headlights you see on new cars,
they’re clear and have the diamond effect inside and they wont cloud
up. cost about 150.00, kinda high but mine are custom made, I added
some additions to the manufacturer.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-halo...ict131273.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=644165