91 Civic main relay or ignition switch?

Old December 13th 04, 06:50 AM
Ropert's Aloha

Default 91 Civic main relay or ignition switch?

Well thanks to this group I thought I had solved my problems. I took out the
main relay and did find 2 hairline cracks in two solder points. But that was
only after cleaning with lacquer thinner and putting under a magnifying
glass. So it was cleaned and then gently soldered other solder points.
Everything worked great and the car ran perfect. However, I drove it about 5
miles and while driving it just died. Had to push it into a neighborhood.
Came back later figuring I would have to tow it, but it cranked right up.
Drove it home, but it sputtered once and seemed like the same thing was
going to happen.

When it did die after the first 5 mile trip, there was an electrical smell
from the same area as the main relay. I figured I'd just have to break down
and buy anew one. But now I wonder.........

Where is the ignition relay located? What are the chances that is the cause?
Could it still be the main relay?

I have no confidence now to drive this thing to work as one minute it's
running fine, the next it just stops dead.

Any ideas where to go from here?

thanks in advance

Gary in Hawaii
91 Civic Hatchback, 178k miles, 1500cc, 5spd

Old December 13th 04, 07:36 AM
Gershund

Many people say and think that the main relay has to be bought new and not
"re-welded"!..Some people say is not the same thing like buying a new one
(my suggestion for you is to buy and new one and go from there)!...

I have a Civic 91 LX and mine is located actually behind the parking brake
handle (quite hard to take it out, so you better count with an assorment of
tools to use anything that fit your needs)!...

Old December 13th 04, 12:19 PM
John Ings

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:50:10 GMT, "Ropert's Aloha"
> wrote:

>Where is the ignition relay located?

That's the first relay in the main relay assembly. The second is the
fuel pump relay.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#MainRelay

> What are the chances that is the cause?

Do your warning lights all illuminate when the key is on?

>Could it still be the main relay?

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the car is feeling colicky?

Could be the ignition switch too.

And have you checked for loose fuses?
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#loosefuses

Old December 13th 04, 01:04 PM
Burt Squareman

"Ropert's Aloha" > wrote

> Well thanks to this group I thought I had solved my problems. I took out the
> main relay and did find 2 hairline cracks in two solder points. But that was
> only after cleaning with lacquer thinner and putting under a magnifying
> glass. So it was cleaned and then gently soldered other solder points.
> Everything worked great and the car ran perfect. However, I drove it about 5
> miles and while driving it just died. Had to push it into a neighborhood.
> Came back later figuring I would have to tow it, but it cranked right up.
> Drove it home, but it sputtered once and seemed like the same thing was
> going to happen.
> When it did die after the first 5 mile trip, there was an electrical smell
> from the same area as the main relay.

A voltage drop test can rule out an old relay. Did you remove
the old solder or allow venting for heat dissipation, especially in
Hawaii? Observe the intensity of the startup lights to determine a
bad ignition switch, if any.

Old December 13th 04, 01:04 PM
Burt Squareman

"John Ings" > wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:50:10 GMT, "Ropert's Aloha"
> > wrote:

> >Where is the ignition relay located?

> That's the first relay in the main relay assembly. The second is the
> fuel pump relay.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#MainRelay

There's no such ignition relay. The main relay has a fuel pump
relay and an ECU, injector relay. The ECU can control ignition
timing, but still, the term isn't for this model.

Old December 13th 04, 03:35 PM
Todd K.

I had the same problem with my '91 Accord. I first tried resoldering
the main relay, but the problem got progressively worse untill one day
it died and I couldn't restart it. I tried and tried and tried. The
tow truck driver at the gas station I was parked in was eyeing me like
vulture. Finally after about 50 attempts, it started. I drove straight
home. A little more research on this fine newsgroup pointed to the
ignition switch. I replaced that and have'nt had that problem since.
Todd K.