1995 odyssey thermostat

Old December 13th 04, 03:26 AM
Vadim

Default 1995 odyssey thermostat

Does anyone know where thermostat is localted on Honday Odyssey 1995? Is it
difficult to change it?
Thanks,
Vadim.

Old December 13th 04, 02:48 PM
E. Meyer

On 12/12/04 9:26 PM, in article ,
"Vadim" > wrote:

> Does anyone know where thermostat is localted on Honday Odyssey 1995? Is it
> difficult to change it?
> Thanks,
> Vadim.

Follow the big hose from the top of the radiator back to the engine. It
will be at the engine end of it. Its not harder to change than on most
other cars.

Old December 13th 04, 05:10 PM
Michael Pardee

.. .

Old December 13th 04, 05:12 PM
Michael Pardee

"TeGGer®" > wrote in message
.. .
> "E. Meyer" > floridly penned in
> :
>
>> On 12/12/04 9:26 PM, in article
>> , "Vadim" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know where thermostat is localted on Honday Odyssey 1995?
>>> Is it difficult to change it?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vadim.
>>>

>> Follow the big hose from the top of the radiator back to the engine.

> You mean the hose from the BOTTOM of the rad, no? Most (all?) modern cars
> have that setup.
>

> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

(Oops - think I sent a blank response because my fingers are stupid.)

I don't understand why that is. In the days of yore they were attached to
the head, on the upper radiator hose, so the temperature of the head would
be regulated. Has something changed?

Mike

Old December 13th 04, 06:52 PM
E. Meyer

On 12/13/04 10:46 AM, in article
, "TeGGer®"
> wrote:

> "E. Meyer" > floridly penned in
> :
>
>> On 12/12/04 9:26 PM, in article
>> , "Vadim" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know where thermostat is localted on Honday Odyssey 1995?
>>> Is it difficult to change it?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vadim.
>>>

>> Follow the big hose from the top of the radiator back to the engine.

> You mean the hose from the BOTTOM of the rad, no? Most (all?) modern cars
> have that setup.

You may be right. I sold the Odyssey to my daughter over 3 years ago, so
its been awhile since I've had my head in that engine. Both radiator hoses
connect on the top of the engine. The thermostat is in the one closer to
the firewall.

Old December 14th 04, 03:20 AM
Michael Pardee

"TeGGer®" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Michael Pardee" > floridly penned in
>> I don't understand why that is. In the days of yore they were attached
>> to the head, on the upper radiator hose, so the temperature of the
>> head would be regulated. Has something changed?
>>

> Yes. Two things in particular:
>
> 1) It used to be that the thermostat opened to send hot water TO the rad
> FROM the head.
> That was when the thermostat was in the TOP hose.
> Now, the thermostat opens to admit cooled water FROM the rad back TO the
> head.
> This is when the thermostat is in the BOTTOM hose.
>
> 2) Many rad caps no longer hold pressure until the fluid begins to boil.
> You'll notice that your rad hoses may be squishy and not firm when the
> engine is warm.
>
> These two changes apparently mean greater cooling system efficiency,
> necessary with modern reduced capacities.
>

> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

1) makes sense when I think about it. 2) escapes my tired brain, but I'll
take your word.

How does the bottom-mounted thermostat sense the temperature? Does the pump
feed a loop that brings coolant from the head to the thermostat?

Mike