Brake question

Old October 2nd 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

Default Brake question

Are the brake disk retaining screws necessary? I had to drill mine out and
one source said they are only in there to hold the disc in place during
assembly at the factory.

As usual, thanks in advance.

--
Pull my chain to reply.

Old October 2nd 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Nasty wrote:

> Are the brake disk retaining screws necessary? I had to drill mine out and
> one source said they are only in there to hold the disc in place during
> assembly at the factory.
>
> As usual, thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Pull my chain to reply.

If you dont' replace them you'll risk getting chunks of crud falling
between the hub and the back side of the rotor every time you rotate
your tires. That will lead to WAY more technical support questions
around here. :-(

You didn't use a torque driver, right?

'Curly'
Old October 2nd 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
> Nasty wrote:
>>
>> Are the brake disk retaining screws necessary? I had to drill mine out
>> and
>> one source said they are only in there to hold the disc in place during
>> assembly at the factory.
>>
>> As usual, thanks in advance.
>>
>> --
>> Pull my chain to reply.

> If you dont' replace them you'll risk getting chunks of crud falling
> between the hub and the back side of the rotor every time you rotate
> your tires. That will lead to WAY more technical support questions
> around here. :-(

I kind of figured they must have put them there for more than the assembly
line thing. They WILL be replaced.

> You didn't use a torque driver, right?

To install them you mean? They are the original rotors. Still going strong.

Thanks Curly.

Old October 2nd 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

Nasty wrote:

> I kind of figured they must have put them there for more than the assembly
> line thing. They WILL be replaced.
>

> > You didn't use a torque driver, right?

> To install them you mean? They are the original rotors. Still going strong.
>
> Thanks Curly.

-----------------------------------

The torque driver is for removing (the Phillips screws) whenever you
have to pull the rotors. Trying to remove (the Phillips screws) without
one is like teaching a pig to sing.

You only have to snug them by hand since they seem to stay in just
GREAT.

'Curly'
Old October 2nd 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
> Nasty wrote:
>
>> I kind of figured they must have put them there for more than the
>> assembly
>> line thing. They WILL be replaced.
>>

>> > You didn't use a torque driver, right?

>> To install them you mean? They are the original rotors. Still going
>> strong.
>>
>> Thanks Curly.

> -----------------------------------
>
> The torque driver is for removing (the Phillips screws) whenever you
> have to pull the rotors. Trying to remove (the Phillips screws) without
> one is like teaching a pig to sing.

The slot stripped out real quick on both of them using a standard phillips.

> You only have to snug them by hand since they seem to stay in just
> GREAT.

Well mine stayed in Damn Great!

Old October 2nd 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Nasty" > wrote in
:

> Are the brake disk retaining screws necessary? I had to drill mine out
> and one source said they are only in there to hold the disc in place
> during assembly at the factory.
>
> As usual, thanks in advance.

They are 100% necessary. The reasons are as Curly gives.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 2nd 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Nasty" > wrote in
:

> "'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message

>> The torque driver is for removing (the Phillips screws) whenever you
>> have to pull the rotors. Trying to remove (the Phillips screws)
>> without one is like teaching a pig to sing.

> The slot stripped out real quick on both of them using a standard
> phillips.
>

>> You only have to snug them by hand since they seem to stay in just
>> GREAT.

> Well mine stayed in Damn Great!

They rust. Sometimes a drill is the only solution.

I have had better luck smearing the screw (and its hole) with aluminum
anti-seize before installing it, then wiping off the extruded excess.
This allows more successful use of an impact driver.

Old October 2nd 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Nasty wrote:
> Are the brake disk retaining screws necessary? I had to drill mine out and
> one source said they are only in there to hold the disc in place during
> assembly at the factory.
>
> As usual, thanks in advance.

they're not necessary from a mechanical viewpoint - they have no
relevance whatsoever when the wheel is on. they are however useful in
the way that curly describes, but that is a minor detail since behind
the hub is not exposed in the same way the front is. if you have any
problems, remove the caliper housing, remove the disk, clean, replace,
etc. 20 minutes, max.
Old October 2nd 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Nasty" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message

>>> The torque driver is for removing (the Phillips screws) whenever you
>>> have to pull the rotors. Trying to remove (the Phillips screws)
>>> without one is like teaching a pig to sing.

>> The slot stripped out real quick on both of them using a standard
>> phillips.
>>

>>> You only have to snug them by hand since they seem to stay in just
>>> GREAT.

>> Well mine stayed in Damn Great!
>>

> They rust. Sometimes a drill is the only solution.
>
> I have had better luck smearing the screw (and its hole) with aluminum
> anti-seize before installing it, then wiping off the extruded excess.
> This allows more successful use of an impact driver.

Thanks T

Old October 3rd 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nick

Yep used an impact driver (and a handy mini sledgehammer to hit it)
after my Phillips bit broke on my drill to get the screw loose.

Nick

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:06:26 GMT, "Nasty"
> wrote:

>"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
>> "Nasty" > wrote in
>> :

>>> The slot stripped out real quick on both of them using a standard
>>> phillips.

>>> Well mine stayed in Damn Great!
>>>

>> They rust. Sometimes a drill is the only solution.
>>
>> I have had better luck smearing the screw (and its hole) with aluminum
>> anti-seize before installing it, then wiping off the extruded excess.
>> This allows more successful use of an impact driver.

>Thanks T

2004 PT cruiser anti-lock brake question Johnny Virgil Chrysler 3 June 11th 06 01:52 PM
brake question nrs Jeep 6 May 22nd 06 04:55 PM
1995 Jeep Cherokee brake question SamJ Jeep 12 May 17th 06 01:49 AM
1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport- brake question downriver rat Chrysler 1 February 16th 06 06:50 PM
New brake booster question, '86 F-150 Chris Szilagyi General 3 September 26th 04 01:26 AM