94 Civic - how long does cat last?

Old September 19th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rocky[_2_]

Default 94 Civic - how long does cat last?

I have 180k on the civix 1.5L LX 5spd sedan - I think I am the 3rd owner.
I am changing out the exhaust with an equivalent - I was curious - how long
does the catalyst last?
thanks
Rocky

Old September 19th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Rocky wrote:

> I have 180k on the civix 1.5L LX 5spd sedan - I think I am the 3rd owner.
> I am changing out the exhaust with an equivalent - I was curious - how long
> does the catalyst last?
> thanks
> Rocky

If it has never been changed, it's probably due. Symptoms typically are
a loss of power..

JT
Old September 19th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Rocky[_2_]

Is there someone that can check it if I remove it from the car?

Old September 19th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

The samples that I've seen were obvious, tip it vertical, and the
innards partially will fall out. I'm sure that others here will
elaborate further.

JT

Old September 19th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Rocky" > wrote in
:

> I have 180k on the civix 1.5L LX 5spd sedan - I think I am the 3rd
> owner. I am changing out the exhaust with an equivalent - I was
> curious - how long does the catalyst last?
> thanks
> Rocky

If the car is cared for, the cat will easily last 250,000 miles. If the car
has been neglected, it will last far shorter. If the car is neglected
enough, the cat can clog, but that's a "worst case" scenario.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 19th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Rocky" > wrote in
:

> Is there someone that can check it if I remove it from the car?

Take the car for an emissions test. That's the best way.

Old September 19th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ricebike[_2_]

well, he's gonna remove the cat-back exhaust anyways... you can actually
shine a flashlight in thurr & if you can't see thru the honeycomb...
clogged...

coolant leaking into exhaust stream, excess blowby of oil, leaky fuel
injectors leading to excess HC(unburnt gas)--- all these would shorten
the cat & o2 sensor's life...

--
ricebike
ricebike's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=361742

http://www.automotiveforums.com

93 civic temp gauge is rising - please help [email protected] Honda 5 July 27th 06 01:38 PM
Used Civic or new Fit? nblomgren Honda 94 April 26th 06 04:48 PM
OEM Honda parts catalogs for sale Joe Honda 0 February 20th 06 11:44 PM
Newbie Civic Questions Puraz Honda 11 February 14th 06 07:15 PM
OEM Honda Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 January 29th 06 05:24 PM