Daytime running lights question

Old April 7th 05, 02:51 PM
C. E. White

Fred 2 wrote:

> Just to get an idea of how the DRL connector was present on Explorers
> that didn't come straight from the factory with DRL operational see
> this link
>
> http://ourplaceusa.home.att.net/drl.htm
>
> Keep in mind this is a '96 Explorer that had the wiring in place from
> the factory but didn't have the DRL module plugged-in
>
> I heard that in '98?? the wiring harness is not even present unless
> the vehicle came from the factory with DRL operational (wiring harness
> and module installed)
>
> Also looked in what is called an Explorer Accessory Brochure, you
> might see DRL mentioned as installable by the dealer.

See

http://www.cheapfordparts.com/produc...oducts_id=1362

Ford P/N F8AZ-13B218-AA

Lights, Automatic, Headlamp System Includes Daytime Running
Light [F8AZ-13B218-AA] $69.02

For Vehicles With or Without Daytime Running Lights Fits:
1999-2005 Estimated Install Time of 1 Hours

Ed
Old April 7th 05, 03:05 PM
C. E. White

syclone wrote:

> DRL's are standard on Explorers sold in Canada. I think Ford has
> always had an extra cost accessory that activatied DRL in later model
> cars (2000 and later). Not only are cars with DRL safer, you also can
> save about $40.00 per year ( NY) in insurance costs. Insurance
> companys think they are safer too.

For the pro DRL propaganda see
http://www.hwysafety.org/safety%5Ffacts/qanda/drl.htm

For the anti DRL propaganda see
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/~dadrl/whats%20coming.html

The pro DRL sites trumpet studies in far northern countries
and use weasel wording. They say things like a x% percent
reduction in DRL relevant crashes, without adequately
defining DRL relevant crashes, or adequately examining if
DRLs are increasing other sorts of crashes. They smack of
reports that were written to justify a preordained
conclusion.

Personally, I hate DRLs. I don't think they increase safety
in my area, and they are irritating as heck, particularly
when implemented on a jacked up truck or SUV. On the other
hand, my Saturn has them, and even though they can be easily
disabled by pulling a single relay, I have not done so. But
then, my DRLs don't bother ME. As for Insurance companies
offering discounts - well they did so for 5 mph bumpers, ABS
brakes, and air bags - other debatable "safety" innovations.
It almost seem like if you are 55 years old, driving a
Toyota with 5 mph bumpers, ABS brakes, air bags, and DRLs,
the insurance company ought to pay you!

If you really, really want to add them to a late model
Explorer see
http://www.cheapfordparts.com/produc...oducts_id=1362
..

Ed
Old May 7th 05, 09:33 PM
Jessie97XLT

I had a 97 Explorer XLT, the Day-time-running light is located on the
rear-view mirror. It has a slider to adjust the time it keeps the lights
on after the truck is powered down. I now have a 2005 Explorer Eddie
Bauer, and it has the same type of DRL on the rear-view mirror.

Hope that helps,

Jessie97XLT

Old May 7th 05, 11:21 PM
Happy Traveler

If your 97 was anywhere similar to my 98, the slider on the mirror was not
for the DRLs, but for the auto headlights. I would risk a guess that the
same statement applies to your 2005.
In fact, unless you bought your Explorer in Canada or installed the module
later, your vehicle is probably not equipped with DRLs at all.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old May 8th 05, 02:29 AM
Fred 2

Those controls on your rear view mirror are not for DRL system

The DRL system if equipped in your vehicle is automatically
controlled. See the URL below for more info:

http://ourplaceusa.home.att.net/drl.htm

The DRL system turn on your vehicle's high beam headlights at reduced
power when, the headlight switch is off position, the ignition switch
is in the on postion, and the parking brake is released.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:33:35 -0400, "Jessie97XLT"

Old May 8th 05, 05:05 PM
Fred 2

That not the way DRL (daytime running lights ) work. They are always
on when the 3 conditions mentioned below are met, even if it's birght
sun.

Old May 8th 05, 05:13 PM
Fred 2

Disregard my last post, it's Sunday morning and I am still half asleep

Old May 9th 05, 01:40 AM
Jessie97XLT

Thanks for the correction Happy Traveler, I was thinking about the autolamp
feature. I do not think the Explorer has that DRL as standard.

Jessie97XLT