Can rain get inside my Honda's door?

Old January 13th 05, 06:47 PM
Gary

Default Can rain get inside my Honda's door?

Recently I watched a repairman fix my Honda door. With the inside shell off,
there is a plastic wrap that has to be cut at the top to get at the hardware
behind it.

When the repairman reassembled the door he kind of used his hand to get a
corner of the plastic to rest back in place. He didn't tape it. I'd say that
a few inches of the upper corner of that plastic may not be sealed
perfectly.

Is this a potential for water to enter inside the door of the car?

Old January 13th 05, 09:04 PM

Gary wrote:
> Recently I watched a repairman fix my Honda door. With the inside

shell off,
> there is a plastic wrap that has to be cut at the top to get at the

hardware
> behind it.
>
> When the repairman reassembled the door he kind of used his hand to

get a
> corner of the plastic to rest back in place. He didn't tape it. I'd

say that
> a few inches of the upper corner of that plastic may not be sealed
> perfectly.
>
> Is this a potential for water to enter inside the door of the car?

Well, probably not.
More potential for drafts and wind noise to penetrate, for sure.

JM

Old January 13th 05, 10:02 PM
Randolph

Gary wrote:

> Recently I watched a repairman fix my Honda door. With the inside shell off,
> there is a plastic wrap that has to be cut at the top to get at the hardware
> behind it.
>
> When the repairman reassembled the door he kind of used his hand to get a
> corner of the plastic to rest back in place. He didn't tape it. I'd say that
> a few inches of the upper corner of that plastic may not be sealed
> perfectly.
>
> Is this a potential for water to enter inside the door of the car?

If the cut in the plastic sheet is high up in the door, the chances of
water intrusion are small. With a little patience and a heat gun, it is
fairly easy to pull the plastic sheet off along the perimeter rather
than cutting it. That would be the preferred way to do it. Downside?
You are almost guaranteed to get your hair stuck in the glue while
working inside the door.
Old January 14th 05, 02:58 PM
Gary

"Randolph" > wrote in message

> If the cut in the plastic sheet is high up in the door, the chances of
> water intrusion are small. With a little patience and a heat gun, it is
> fairly easy to pull the plastic sheet off along the perimeter rather
> than cutting it. That would be the preferred way to do it. Downside?
> You are almost guaranteed to get your hair stuck in the glue while
> working inside the door.

The cut is in the upper left corner close to the exterior door handle on the
driver's side. It was not glued or taped back. It was laid back as the
fabric part of the interior door assembly was reinstalled. Its too bad that
Honda did not design the door so that weather proofing would be easy to
remove and replace when work is done on the mechanical repair of parts. Is
this normal on all Hondas? All cars?

Old January 14th 05, 03:48 PM
SoCalMike

Gary wrote:
> Honda did not design the door so that weather proofing would be easy to
> remove and replace when work is done on the mechanical repair of parts. Is
> this normal on all Hondas? All cars?

all cars. designed for ease of assembly, not necessarily ease of repair.
most hondas never need their inner door panel removed. there are some
older generations of accord that probably should have been designed with
a zipper on the weatherproofing, tho
Old January 14th 05, 08:37 PM
Randolph

"TeGGeR®" wrote:

> SoCalMike > wrote in
> :
>
> > Gary wrote:
> >> Honda did not design the door so that weather proofing would be easy
> >> to remove and replace when work is done on the mechanical repair of
> >> parts. Is this normal on all Hondas? All cars?

> > all cars. designed for ease of assembly, not necessarily ease of
> > repair. most hondas never need their inner door panel removed. there
> > are some older generations of accord that probably should have been
> > designed with a zipper on the weatherproofing, tho
> >

> And does Honda still use that crappy vinyl sheeting? The stuff shrinks and
> eventually pulls away from the adhesive. Hate that.
>
> Why can't they use heavy polyethylene?

My '94 uses polyethylene sheets. When I installed power locks in Dec.
2002 the sheets were in perfect shape, no shrinking, no pulling away
from the adhesive. Using a heat gun and a bit of patience, pulling the
sheet away from the glue (that looks and feels like chewing gum) was not
that big of a challenge. A year later I had to open up the passenger
door again to put a bend in the lock rod. At that time the sheet was
still in good shape, and did not seem to have suffered any damage from
being partially removed and reinstalled.