Is there any slipstreaming effect on the highways

Old April 24th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Is there any slipstreaming effect on the highways

Can I save gas by following behind another car?
Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?
Or no appreciable difference either way?

Old April 24th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Old Wolf" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Can I save gas by following behind another car?
> Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?
> Or no appreciable difference either way?

Following a car won't help much unless you are so close that it would be
extremely dangerous. Following a large truck at highway speeds will make a
difference if you are about five car lengths or less behind (from
unscientific observations), again way too close to be safe.

No way the miniscule fuel savings you 'might' experience will override the
safety issues.

Alan

Old April 24th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:
> Can I save gas by following behind another car?
> Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?
> Or no appreciable difference either way?

You could probably save gas by drafting, but you'd have to get right up
on the other driver which means a) you'd have to be paying utmost
attention to the car in front of you to avoid rear-ending him and b)
he'd probably be real annoyed with you.

Not to mention that if this actually is working, you have less cooling
air available for your radiator, so you have to keep an eye on the temp.
gauge in warm weather.

I've heard tell of people actually doing this to save gas, usually with
tractor-trailers. Apparently it works to a degree, but it still seems
fairly unsafe.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 24th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message

> I've heard tell of people actually doing this to save gas, usually with
> tractor-trailers. Apparently it works to a degree, but it still seems
> fairly unsafe.

Very unsafe. I can't speak to doing this with cars, but some years ago I
discovered by accident that if you slide your mc into position at or just
forward of the trailer wheels on a t/t combination, and just about 2-3 ft
away, you can just about slip the bike into neutral and the truck will pull
you right along with it. Extremely dangerous, and guaranteed to p/o the
driver.

Old April 24th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

wtrplnet wrote:

> "Old Wolf" > wrote:

>> Can I save gas by following behind another car?
>> Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?
>> Or no appreciable difference either way?

> Following a car won't help much unless you are so close that it would be
> extremely dangerous. Following a large truck at highway speeds will make a
> difference if you are about five car lengths or less behind (from
> unscientific observations), again way too close to be safe.

Remember, though, a car can stop WAYYYY faster than a truck. The
problems with following a truck closely are (1) you can't see the cement
block in the road that the truck with its high ground clearance didn't
even notice; and (b) the fumes make you dizzy.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 24th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Nate Nagel wrote:

> Old Wolf wrote:
>> Can I save gas by following behind another car?
>> Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?
>> Or no appreciable difference either way?

> You could probably save gas by drafting, but you'd have to get right up
> on the other driver which means a) you'd have to be paying utmost
> attention to the car in front of you to avoid rear-ending him and b)
> he'd probably be real annoyed with you.
>
> Not to mention that if this actually is working, you have less cooling
> air available for your radiator, so you have to keep an eye on the temp.
> gauge in warm weather.
>
> I've heard tell of people actually doing this to save gas, usually with
> tractor-trailers. Apparently it works to a degree, but it still seems
> fairly unsafe.

I did it soaking wet on a motorcycle just for the warmth from the
truck's exhaust, but had to bail when I started to get dizzy. Hard
choices...

Old April 24th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

> Nate Nagel:
> I've heard tell of people actually doing this to save gas, usually with
> tractor-trailers. Apparently it works to a degree, but it still seems
> fairly unsafe.

A friend of mine did this once. The damage done to the nose of his
vehicle (from sand/stones etc kicked up by the tt) more than trumped any
fuel savings.

Old April 24th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

The Real Bev wrote:
> wtrplnet wrote:
>
> > "Old Wolf" > wrote:

> >> Can I save gas by following behind another car?
> >> Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?
> >> Or no appreciable difference either way?

> > Following a car won't help much unless you are so close that it would be
> > extremely dangerous. Following a large truck at highway speeds will make a
> > difference if you are about five car lengths or less behind (from
> > unscientific observations), again way too close to be safe.

> Remember, though, a car can stop WAYYYY faster than a truck. The
> problems with following a truck closely are (1) you can't see the cement
> block in the road that the truck with its high ground clearance didn't
> even notice; and (b) the fumes make you dizzy.

<snip>

> --
> Cheers,
> Bev
> 1010101010101010101010101010101010101
> What do you think you're doing, Dave?
> -- Hal 9000

The problem is the reaction time. If a TT bombs his brakes while you
are only 5 cars back, you will impact him just about the time you
manage to get your foot on the brake.

Harry K

Old April 24th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:
> Can I save gas by following behind another car?
> Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?
> Or no appreciable difference either way?

Sure, just pull in close behind a big semi and you will get a big
break. But before attempting this gas saving measure, be sure to give
passengers the option of getting out and walking. Also be sure your
car insurance is fully paid up and that your have maxed out all
coverages.

Old April 24th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Old Wolf" wrote

> Can I save gas by following behind another car?

Yes. Any cyclist knows.
I once found a site to calculate the effects of hills, trees
and buildings etc. on wind power plants of different sizes:
http://www.windpower.org/de/tour/wres/shelter/index.htm
Some slipstreaming is still in effect 50m behind the vehicle.
Of course less than in 2m distance, but measurable.

Guys from a toyota prius forum also tried slipstreaming
with an anemometer attached and verified the effects on
both the anemometer and the bord computer even in a
save 2s distance behind a truck.

> Or is it worse because I'm driving through his dirty air?

No, because the air is still quite clean.

Cheers,
Thomas