Jeep hauler recommendations?

Old April 20th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Jeep hauler recommendations?

I need to sell my present trailer in favor of some method to get my Jeep and
a camper/trailer out where I can use both. And I have to please the wife
too. I have a Chev 2500HD long bed with Duramax/Allison to pull with.

Option 1: Get a motorhome and pull the Jeep; not economically feasible
and I'd have to sell my truck.:-(

Option 2: Get a 5th wheel trailer(nice one with bump-outs) and pull the
Jeep behind it. Biggest negative is not being able to back up without
unhooking the Jeep. Overall length should not be a problem. Wife would
like the spaciousness of the 5er.

Option 3: Get a 5th wheel toy hauler capable of hauling the Jeep.
Having a 5er allows for stopping at rest areas and bunking in the trailer
without having to unload the Jeep. Kinda pricey, especially the newer
ones with bump-outs.

Option 4: Get a conventional toy hauler. Probably the lease expensive
of the options but wife does not like the idea of some gasoline-fueled
vehicle in her living room/bedroom.

Looking for some comments here. What do you do and what would you
recommend?

Thanks, Ralph

Old April 20th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I sold the motorhome I had, moved to the mountains, and got a three quarter
ton Suburban in addition to my Jeep. Therefore I am always at my
"destination", the Jeep is ready for day trips, and the Suburban is ready
for camping out, way out, when that becomes necessary. Oh yeah, I quit my
job too, before I did all this. It was just getting in the way.

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably have stayed in motels.
Everything you are talking about, is a big chunk of money, and there are
motels everywhere. They have TV, air conditioning and some of them even
have kitchens. How long of a vacation are we talking about here? If we are
talking about two weeks or so in a year, then purchasing a hundred thousand
dollars of so of iron, that is going to depreciate faster than nobody's
business, does not seem cost-effective to me.

If you are going to live in it for three or four months, like some of the
summer help that come up here from Phoenix do, then it might be a good
investment.

Earle

nk.net...

Old April 21st 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Pumper Hinkle" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Looking for some comments here. What do you do and what would you
> recommend?

You didn't like the suggestions that were posted when you previously asked
this question? Or are you just having an Alzheimers Moment?

--
"Hillary Clinton should be burned at the stake for being either a witch or a
Communist."

Old April 21st 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What about a back-of-the-truck camper and flat tow the the Jeep?

Alternatively, you could swap the truck bed for a flat bed and put the Jeep
on the bed of the truck and then pull a class V trailer.

You could also attach the Jeep to the 5th wheel with the front end in the
air so that it is fixed to the rear of the trailer, thus eliminating the
need to detach the Jeep before backing.

You could also just learn to back up doubles..

Carl

Old April 21st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If the bed of that pickup is big enough, ramp that Jeep right up into
the bed, then hook up the trailer and off you go. I've seen it done.
Seriously. One guy I know bought a big Ford pickup with a flatbed
instead of a boxed-bed, put a VW on it and hitched up a trailer behind
it. He had to park and unhook the trailer before he could unload the
car, but it allowed him to back up whenever he wanted to.

>Oh yeah, I quit my job too, before I did all this. It was just getting in the way.

Earle, you are my hero.

Old April 21st 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 21st 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I never got them. Sometimes that happens with my isp.

Ralph

Old April 21st 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks for the response.

A truck camper lacks the storage space we need when extended camping,
otherwise, done that, works well. Could do that and also tow an enclosed
car hauler for extra storage. Have to think on that.

Don't want to modify the truck. I've seen the ramps for the bed but that
puts my load weight/center of gravity too high.

towing Jeeps. Jeep says don't tow with the front wheels on a dolly,
either use a trailer or tow with all 4 wheels on the ground. Don't know
why but it they say so .

backing doubles. When towing another vehicle with 4 wheels down, you
cannot back up or the front wheels of the toad will crank sideways causing
undue stress to the hitch components/tow bar. Otherwise, backing doubles
isn't too bad for short distances (a few feet, done that). I have great
admiration for those pros who can back doubles, including turns. I don't
think there are more than a couple dozen of them out there.

Old April 22nd 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> I have great
>admiration for those pros who can back doubles, including turns. I don't
>think there are more than a couple dozen of them out there.

There are more than you might think. Work Ag for a few seasons and you
will become very good at it. The secret is being able to SEE the
drawbar and turntable of the 2nd trailer, otherwise you have no idea
where it's going. This is why it's generally easier to back up in a
left-hand turn than straight-on: you can spot everything from the LH
mirror.

Here's something for you to think about. If you have the Jeep hitched
on as the last vehicle and you absolutely HAVE to back up, just fire up
that TJ, put everything else in neutral, and use the Jeep to 'pull'
everything backward anywhere you want it to go. You can easily 'pull'
the whole thing in a circle if need be.

-JD

Old April 22nd 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hmmmm. Excellent idea about pulling the whole rig with the Jeep.

I've pulled doubles before (milk tanks) but never needed to back up other
than a few feet to hit the nozzle. I friend used to be a mechanic for
Lucky Market and he told about one trucker who was in and out of the loading
dock far quicker than any other double puller because he would just back his
back trailer up to the dock, unhook it, and then back the first trailer in
alongside it. My friend said that whenever this guy pulled into the lot,
everyone would come out and watch him back up. Sounded a lot like going
to a truck rodeo!