remove "powerpoint" outlet?

Old April 4th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default remove "powerpoint" outlet?

OK, for $35M they don't give you a cigarette lighter with your
Mustang.......got tired of looking at that cheap "power point" plug in
the dash, so ordered the smoker's set ($98 for a plastic cup, lighter
and outlet to replace the powerpoint - since the crafty devils made it a
different size).

so - anybuddy have a trick for getting the original outlet out of the
das?. the instructions say to call the company that makes the smokers
set to get the special tool to remove the powerpoint = I called and they
want $27 + shipping.

they don't make it ez for you - and you sure don't get much for your
money these days.......for what the car cost, you'd think ya might get a
light in the glove compartment - and that isn't even available as an
add-on......geeees.

Old April 5th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

at 04 Apr 2006, From Punoneboi ] wrote in
:

> OK, for $35M they don't give you a cigarette lighter with your
> Mustang.......got tired of looking at that cheap "power point" plug
> in the dash, so ordered the smoker's set ($98 for a plastic cup,
> lighter and outlet to replace the powerpoint - since the crafty
> devils made it a different size).

Mine's got the radar detector plug in it so I don't worry. BTW, they
are selling billet replacement plugs on eBay with eg a pony or 'eject'
engraved on it. I'd get one of those if I wasn't using mine...

--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

Old April 5th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

well, you've heard of it now! the owner's manual is full of warnings
not to try and put a lighter in one of the power points (there's one in
the dash and one in the console).....Like you, thought I would just put
a lighter in the socket - but they are larger than any standard size
lighter.......so they anticipated us trying to save the $98.

another oddity: opened up the smoker's set.....an "authorized
accessory" from an outisde supplier......little brochure in 5 languages
but just drawings, no explanation of how the removal tool works. BUT it
does tell you to DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before attempting to
remove........dumb me, I took the fuse out instead......sort of thought
I'd like to leave the power on to the electronics since the car owners
manual also explains how the transmission, automatic window drops,
clock, radio, etc.etc will lose their memory if battery is disconnected.
guess the approved supplier didn't get the memo.

likewise, my dealer doesn't have the tool or know what to do. wonder
why Ford sales are down!!!!!!

Old April 5th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Huh.
In my 98 it was not equipped with a smokers group, and a ligher fit it
easily.
most plugs for AC adapters are designed to fit a lighter socket.

On my TJ it has a power point AND a lighter outlet, they appear to be the
same size but one is key activated the other is on all the time.

Kate
2OlllllllO6 Rubicon

"From Punoneboi" > wrote in message
:
[...]

How do you remove the 5th gear synchro hub from a '95 T-5 [email protected] Ford Mustang 4 July 27th 05 03:13 PM
How to remove radio/dash cover from '03 liberty ? VaderG Jeep 1 June 18th 05 11:01 PM
Remove door cover VW Sharan Spacy VW water cooled 2 March 12th 05 02:07 PM
Remove Door Panel Odie VW water cooled 2 February 3rd 05 10:20 PM
remove ignition switch on 92 spider voloce? ody Alfa Romeo 0 May 3rd 04 10:36 PM