1971 Type 3 ?

Old March 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 1971 Type 3 ?

Hey, everyone -

Wondering what the consensus is on t his VW - I am completely new to the
"Air-Cooled" world and have seen a GORGEOUS Type 3 with only 56k miles.
Apparently it was a "third car" for a number of years. It looks great it
has had some work on the body and interior, and I would have a mechanic
check it over at the point of purchasing it.

Would this be a good choice for city/ short distance transportation?
I live very close to work and rarely drive the freeways, anyway.
Some people have "warned" me that the VWs of this era were "problematic"
but that could be a reference to the power...

Thanks!
Brian
Old March 1st 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Prepare to have your tools lined up on the bench and ready to go 24/7.You
didnt say if it was a stick or auto,but most Type 3s imported after 1968
were automatics.The trannys were very finnicky and next to the fuel
injection system,required alot of maintenence.
The FI system was another sore spot on this car,with cold starting being a
bitch after these cars get some age on them. These cars were also prone to
rust,especially underneath on top of the front fenders.
These also were the first cars to sport an onboard diagnostic
system,introduced in 1970.They were rudimentary in design,and worked
half-assed at best.They later caused electrical system turmoil when they
malfunctioned.
But you could do worse......you could be looking at a Type 4!!!! Good luck.

. net...

Old March 1st 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Brian wrote:

> Hey, everyone -
>
> Wondering what the consensus is on t his VW - I am completely new to the
> "Air-Cooled" world and have seen a GORGEOUS Type 3 with only 56k miles.
> Apparently it was a "third car" for a number of years. It looks great it
> has had some work on the body and interior, and I would have a mechanic
> check it over at the point of purchasing it.
>
> Would this be a good choice for city/ short distance transportation?
> I live very close to work and rarely drive the freeways, anyway.
> Some people have "warned" me that the VWs of this era were "problematic"
> but that could be a reference to the power...
>
> Thanks!
> Brian

My .02:

The Type 3 is very desirable.
In many ways they were built better than the Type 1's.

Downside can be the body. Like the Ghia, there were many
places that rusted out with little provocation.
Check that carefully.
If you plan to drive it where they use salt on the roads,
I wouldn't bother buying it.

As mentioned, the FI and auto tranny are problematic.
Especially on a car 35 yrs old. If you're not prepared
to deal with them, buy something else. Very, very few
mechanics are left anywhere who can work on the Type 3 FI.
Of course, it could be converted to carbs if you fall in love
with it.

The details of the "Diagnostic" system can be found on my web
site. It's completely passive and doesn't interfere with
daily running.

Things to do after 35 yrs:
Replace *all* the rubber brake hoses.
Ditto for brake wheel cyls, M/C, calipers.
Every rubber seal in the system will be suspect.

Fuel lines too. They are under high pressure in an FI system.

I hope you can get the car and keep another Type 3 on the road.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old March 2nd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

A good friend of mine has a 412 that he has spent over $10,000 restoring!

I'm 25 and it's the only Type 4 I've ever seen that runs, and it's perfect!

Old March 2nd 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks, Jim and Sothern - I appreciate the thorough information! I will
definitely check your website out. Fortunately I live in California
where there is NO salt on the roads (or even on many dining tables as we
are so health-conscious) I will check all of the items you mention for
sure. I'm buying it from a mechanic so hopefully a lot of these things
have been done already. I'm kind of figuring I will need to invest some
of the money saved by getting a car of this age will need to go towards
some upgrades and all.

Thanks again -
Best,
Brian

Old March 2nd 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Hell, the madness continues, he's getting a 411 restored! This same guy also has a '57 Sunroof getting restored, a '69
Beetle his dad bought new, a '74 Super, and a'79 Convertible with 40,000 miles he bought new. All of them are either
perfect or in the process of becoming so.