Radio use with engine off

Old July 30th 04, 06:55 PM
howitzer

Default Radio use with engine off

Hello All

I have an '03 A4Q 3.0 Sport, 6spd. Is it OK to have the ignition on
without the engine running? I think I can hear the fuel pump running
in this position. If this will eventually damage something like the
coils, how can I listen to the radio with the engine off without an
ACC position?

Thanks

Howard
Old July 30th 04, 07:09 PM
R@L

"howitzer" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello All
>
> I have an '03 A4Q 3.0 Sport, 6spd. Is it OK to have the ignition on
> without the engine running? I think I can hear the fuel pump running
> in this position. If this will eventually damage something like the
> coils, how can I listen to the radio with the engine off without an
> ACC position?
>
> Thanks
>
> Howard

Normally -using the original wiring- the radio works without the ignition
on.
With ignition on you hera the fuel pump but only for a second or so, just to
build up pressure.
Nothing happens to the electrical circuit.

Ronald

Old July 30th 04, 07:49 PM
HowdyDoody

Just be careful
Just be careful. I played my radio with the ignition on, but fell asleep, and four hours later, woke up to a dead
battery <G>, but I am sure it can be used for a little less than that without any problems.

HD

Old July 30th 04, 08:47 PM
Pete

"howitzer" > wrote in message

> how can I listen to the radio with the engine off without an
> ACC position?

Just press the radio's ON button (I think it's the same as the volume
knob) to turn it on after you've taken out the ignition key.

Cheers,

Pete

Old July 30th 04, 09:04 PM
Dave LaCourse

Pete writes:

>Just press the radio's ON button (I think it's the same as the volume
>knob) to turn it on after you've taken out the ignition key.

Yep. Ya beat me to it. That's the way it works on my RS6 and I'm betting
newer A6s and A6s have the same feature.

RTM
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old July 31st 04, 05:57 AM
Mike Smith

Dave LaCourse wrote:

> Pete writes:
>

>>Just press the radio's ON button (I think it's the same as the volume
>>knob) to turn it on after you've taken out the ignition key.
>>

> Yep. Ya beat me to it. That's the way it works on my RS6 and I'm betting
> newer A6s and A6s have the same feature.

I would imagine most Audis work that way, given that it is a common VW
feature.

--
Mike Smith
Old July 31st 04, 07:20 PM
Jay Jones

All new A4s (I have an '03 3.0 CVT) don't require the key in the ignition at
all to listen to the radio. Just push the power (volume) button... the
radio can be used for exactly one hour before the car automatically shuts it
off-- just as it does with the map lights if you accidently turn those on...
you CANNOT run down the battery in the car! I do the one hour radio trick
whenever I wash my car; it always goes off like clockwork in one hour.

om...

Old July 31st 04, 10:24 PM
howitzer

> >>Just press the radio's ON button (I think it's the same as the volume
> >>knob) to turn it on after you've taken out the ignition key

WOW! It worked! Ah, those Germans think of everything! Now I love my
Audi even more! Thanks to all that replied.

Regards

Howard

156 engine stall jazza Alfa Romeo 7 January 11th 05 11:28 PM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Alfa Romeo 0 November 23rd 04 03:00 PM
NAV PLUS RADIO bad reception SAPO Audi 4 July 20th 04 10:39 PM
WTB: Old VW / Audi radio Fred Mau Audi 2 May 20th 04 01:11 AM
radio is on safe mode bofromtherock Audi 2 May 15th 04 01:33 AM