1988 ford 350 diesel cube van

Old June 14th 05, 02:48 PM
Bob Urz

Default 1988 ford 350 diesel cube van

Got a chance to get a 1988 cube van cheap. I have not seen it yet.
It has a 350 diesel. tranny won't go into forward.

My questions a

whose diesel would have been in a 88 cube van?
Was it a good engine and what kind of problems did they have?

Which automatic trannie would have been mated to it?

Bob

Old June 14th 05, 05:41 PM

"Bob Urz" > wrote in message
> Got a chance to get a 1988 cube van cheap. I have not seen it yet.
> It has a 350 diesel. tranny won't go into forward.
>
> My questions a
>
> whose diesel would have been in a 88 cube van?
> Was it a good engine and what kind of problems did they have?
>
> Which automatic trannie would have been mated to it?
>
> Bob

I did a little checking, but have not been able to find a Ford application
for a diesel of
that size in 1988. Maybe you could be a little more specific than 'cube'
van...Exactly
what is it?

Old June 14th 05, 08:01 PM
CJB

I'm sure the van is an E-350. Ford never made a 350 CI diesel engine that
I'm aware of. I did a junkyard search for you for that year van and the
only diesel the Hollander says was used in that year was the 7.3.

I then searched the 7.3 diesel equipped E-350 and it appears that for 1988
the only auto tranny that was mated to the diesel was a C-6. This search
was not quite as conclusive as the engine search, but I'm relatively certain
that you're looking at a C-6. I'm 97% certain you're looking at a 7.3
engine.

CJB

Old June 14th 05, 09:46 PM
tom

A 1988 E350 highcube van would have come with a 7.3 liter diesel. this is a
good motor if taken care of, and 400k miles is not out of the question, 300k
is common. the thing to look for is ph level in the coolant system. if the
proper additives have been kept up, there will be no porosity in the
cylinder liners. the trans will be either a C6 or an AOD. you are looking at
around $1100 to $2500 for a trans rebuild, depending on the trans type and
what it needs.
"Bob Urz" > wrote in message
> Got a chance to get a 1988 cube van cheap. I have not seen it yet.
> It has a 350 diesel. tranny won't go into forward.
>
> My questions a
>
> whose diesel would have been in a 88 cube van?
> Was it a good engine and what kind of problems did they have?
>
> Which automatic trannie would have been mated to it?
>
> Bob

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old June 14th 05, 10:00 PM
CJB

I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that Ford would put an AOD behind a
7.3.

CJB

Old June 14th 05, 10:12 PM

"CJB" > wrote in message
> I can't in my wildest dreams imagine that Ford would put an AOD behind a
> 7.3.

Neither can I. It is most likely the C6. They are pretty tough, and can be
rebuilt a lot
cheaper than some of the trannies on the street today.

Old June 14th 05, 11:15 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:48:06 -0500, Bob Urz >
wrote:

>Got a chance to get a 1988 cube van cheap. I have not seen it yet.
>It has a 350 diesel. tranny won't go into forward.
>
>My questions a
>
>whose diesel would have been in a 88 cube van?
>Was it a good engine and what kind of problems did they have?
>
>Which automatic trannie would have been mated to it?
>
>Bob

bob
international
many mini school busses are diesel
prolly c6

hurc ast
Old June 14th 05, 11:16 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:01:05 GMT, "CJB"
> wrote:

>I'm sure the van is an E-350. Ford never made a 350 CI diesel engine that
>I'm aware of. I did a junkyard search for you for that year van and the
>only diesel the Hollander says was used in that year was the 7.3.
>
>I then searched the 7.3 diesel equipped E-350 and it appears that for 1988
>the only auto tranny that was mated to the diesel was a C-6. This search
>was not quite as conclusive as the engine search, but I'm relatively certain
>that you're looking at a C-6. I'm 97% certain you're looking at a 7.3
>engine.
>
>CJB

7.3 non powerstroke
also used by international
if ya want parts try them

hurc

Old June 14th 05, 11:18 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:46:44 -0400, "tom" >
wrote:

> A 1988 E350 highcube van would have come with a 7.3 liter diesel. this is a
>good motor if taken care of, and 400k miles is not out of the question, 300k
>is common. the thing to look for is ph level in the coolant system. if the
>proper additives have been kept up, there will be no porosity in the
>cylinder liners. the trans will be either a C6 or an AOD. you are looking at
>around $1100 to $2500 for a trans rebuild, depending on the trans type and
>what it needs.

actually seen them with 500000mi
just keep replacing injectors and sometimes
injection pump
the early 90s had the aod
i think they started in 89

hurc ast