American Car Makes

Old June 14th 05, 02:57 AM
DTJ

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:30:40 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>>>Chrysler engines have traditionally been far superior to Ford and GM's
>>>offerings (well, at least the lower priced lines, the old Caddy and Olds
>>>motors were pretty decent.) It's only in recent years that they've had
>>>issues. The old V-8s were all built like a brick ****house and the
>>>slant six was even more reliable.

>> Well, Nate, that is the same as saying Chrysler has sucked far less
>> than Ford and GM. Since the 60's or so, Chrysler has sucked compared
>> to what you can get elsewhere.

>IMHO since the early 70s, ALL American cars have sucked to some extent.
> Chrysler actually postponed the suckage longer and more effectively
>than Ford or GM. I still don't understand the comment about Chrysler
>consistently not putting in good engines; up until very recently they
>were still the best American engines out there and some were really
>world class... the LA, B/RB, slant six, 2.2/2.5, all very decent
>engines. What have the other guys been putting out? the 3800 is pretty
>good, like I said the older non-Chevy GM engines were good, but other
>than that...

No argument there. However, weren't a lot of the recent good Chrysler
engines Mitsubishi?
Old June 14th 05, 03:20 AM
Dave

Dave wrote:

> That's very interesting as GM intends to slash prices on certain brands such
> as Chevy and Saturn. A discount Honda at a no-hassle price? Interesting
> indeed.

After the problems I've had with Fords, Chevys, and Saturns, and the
lack of problems I've had with my Civic, I'll buy the Real H for more
anyway until an American car maker can go 5 years without a
catastrophic design flaw.

Dave

Old June 14th 05, 01:49 PM
Jim Yanik

"Dave" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> That's very interesting as GM intends to slash prices on certain
>> brands such as Chevy and Saturn. A discount Honda at a no-hassle
>> price? Interesting indeed.

> After the problems I've had with Fords, Chevys, and Saturns, and the
> lack of problems I've had with my Civic, I'll buy the Real H for more
> anyway until an American car maker can go 5 years without a
> catastrophic design flaw.
>
> Dave

I recall when GM had a deal with Toyota and was making autos with
Toyota,IIRC,in the same plant.
And Ford was using Mazda motors and chassis in their Probe model.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 14th 05, 01:55 PM
The Office Jet

C. E. White wrote:
> Dave Lister wrote:
>
> On the other hand, it is
> hard not to be intrigued by the 300, Magnum, and Charger -
> at least if you want a performance car. If you want a well
> assembled, technologically obsolete, mediocre sedan, Toyota
> is pumping out Camrys.....
>
> Ed

Here's an article from the Detroit News about the Charger:
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...G01-192198.htm Take
a look.

Old June 14th 05, 03:26 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Jim Yanik wrote:

> I recall when GM had a deal with Toyota and was making autos with
> Toyota,IIRC,in the same plant.

Yes, the NUMMI plant in California made identical Toyota Corolla and Geo
Prizm automobiles. Literally identical except for extremely minor details
(taillights, name plates, that sort of thing).

Condemner Retards magazine raved about the perfect Toyota and bitched
about the crappy Geo.
Old June 14th 05, 06:50 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>I recall when GM had a deal with Toyota and was making autos with
>Toyota,IIRC,in the same plant.

The NUMMI plant made Toyota Corollas and GM-branded versions:
Chevrolet Nova, Geo Prizm, Chevrolet Prizm. It now makes Pontiac
Vibes, which are the same as the Toyota Matrix except cosmetically,
along with Corollas and Tacomas.

>And Ford was using Mazda motors and chassis in their Probe model.

Ford controls Mazda. Many Ford and Mazda vehicles have shared engines
or platforms. In some cases, the entire vehicle was shared (Escape /
Tribute, Ranger / B-truck), though that is less common than with GM's
various brands.

Timothy J. Lee
Old June 14th 05, 07:50 PM
Dan J.S.

> Did the American car makers really think people would be buying assault
> vehicles to drive around forever?
>
> I just don't get what they think they have been doing.
>
> --
> Republican Health Plan: Don't Get Sick
>
> Guantanamo: The Gulag of Our Time

It's like this. If you want reliability and bland styling, you buy a Honda
or Toyota. If you want fast and fun, you buy a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or
Audi. American cars fall in between, but mostly just fall apart.

I dont think it has anything to do with who makes them, its the Wal-Mart
like approach to making suppliers cut more and more costs every year.

I look at someone driving an American car and it's either someone with a
lot of time on their hands, or someone that is uneducated.

Old June 14th 05, 07:54 PM
Dan J.S.

"Dan J.S." > wrote in message

>> Did the American car makers really think people would be buying assault
>> vehicles to drive around forever?
>>
>> I just don't get what they think they have been doing.
>>
>> --
>> Republican Health Plan: Don't Get Sick
>>
>> Guantanamo: The Gulag of Our Time
>>

> It's like this. If you want reliability and bland styling, you buy a Honda
> or Toyota. If you want fast and fun, you buy a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or
> Audi. American cars fall in between, but mostly just fall apart.
>
> I dont think it has anything to do with who makes them, its the Wal-Mart
> like approach to making suppliers cut more and more costs every year.
>
> I look at someone driving an American car and it's either someone with a
> lot of time on their hands, or someone that is uneducated.

BTW -- to add hypocrisy to my argument, I am buying a new Dodge Charger when
it comes out... and I will make it my project car...

Old June 14th 05, 08:08 PM
John S.

Kind of an overstatement don't you think. Somebody is buying all those
america name cars we see on the road.

bin laden drives a stang [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 April 24th 05 03:53 PM
"American" TV media cover up CIA_Israeli torture Awake BMW 7 February 26th 05 03:44 PM
American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 05:27 PM
American cars Dave General 6 February 13th 05 05:27 PM
Where to find list of 1930's American Automobile Manufacturers [email protected] Antique cars 4 November 1st 03 07:44 AM