resetting 'change break pads'

Old June 14th 05, 05:10 PM
Ludo

Default resetting 'change break pads'

how can i reset my computer for the 'change break pads' error??
Car is a 525i 24 valve from 1991

thx

Old June 14th 05, 05:16 PM
John Burns

> how can i reset my computer for the 'change break pads' error??
> Car is a 525i 24 valve from 1991

Replace the sensor wire on the brake pads. When the pads wear the wire
gets cut through and sets off the warning.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old June 14th 05, 10:28 PM
Malt_Hound

Ludo wrote:
> how can i reset my computer for the 'change break pads' error??
> Car is a 525i 24 valve from 1991
>
> thx

You can't because there is no "change break pads" error. OTOH, if what
you are referring to are "*brake* pads", there are two sensors of a
sort, one on the front axle and one on the rear that are really just
small filaments that *break* when the *brake* pads get worn.

-Fred W
Old June 14th 05, 11:03 PM
Jeff Strickland

Those are BRAKE pads, not break pads.

When the pads are replaced, there is a little sensor on one of the front
brakes and another one on one of the rear brakes. You have to replace these
sensors.

The sensor looks similar to a fuse, and what happens is that when the pads
wear down, the "fuse" is opened by friction against the rotor. While
servicing the brakes, you will notice that there is a wire leading to two
diagonal tires, and two wires leading to the other set of diagonal tires.
The tires with two wires are the ones that have the speed sensor. The one
wire is the Speed Sensor that tells the ABS what to do, the other is the
brake wear sensor.

Old June 15th 05, 12:10 AM
Ludo

> You can't because there is no "change break pads" error. OTOH, if what
> you are referring to are "*brake* pads", there are two sensors of a
> sort, one on the front axle and one on the rear that are really just
> small filaments that *break* when the *brake* pads get worn.
>
> -Fred W

sorry for the 'break', it was 'brake'
my english is not that good.

i have replaced the sensor, but still get the message on the dashboard.
Is it possible that the sensor is damaged?

Old June 15th 05, 12:26 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Ludo" > wrote in message

> > You can't because there is no "change break pads" error. OTOH, if what
> > you are referring to are "*brake* pads", there are two sensors of a
> > sort, one on the front axle and one on the rear that are really just
> > small filaments that *break* when the *brake* pads get worn.
> >
> > -Fred W

> sorry for the 'break', it was 'brake'
> my english is not that good.
>
> i have replaced the sensor, but still get the message on the dashboard.
> Is it possible that the sensor is damaged?

Have you replaced all of the brake pads, or just those on the front or rear
axle?

There are two sensors, the other one is on the diagonal tire from the one
you already replaced. As I said in another post, the sensor looks much the
same as a fuse -- it is a very thin band of steel that is fitted over a
small plastic block. When the pads wear down, the block and band of steel
come into contact with the brake rotor, and the band is grounded and this
turns the indicator on. The indicator eventually breaks and must be replaced
to turn the indicator off. If you didn't look at the new sensor very close,
you might have not noticed that it was already broken, in which case the
indicator would remain on. Or, you could have mounted the new sensor in
error, and the metal band is already grounding out, which will leave the
indicator on.

If you only replaced one set of brake pads, the problem is likely that the
other set of pads also needs replacing. This is where I'd be looking first.

Old June 15th 05, 05:05 PM
Ludo

> Have you replaced all of the brake pads, or just those on the front or

rear
> axle?
>
> There are two sensors, the other one is on the diagonal tire from the one
> you already replaced. As I said in another post, the sensor looks much the
> same as a fuse -- it is a very thin band of steel that is fitted over a
> small plastic block. When the pads wear down, the block and band of steel
> come into contact with the brake rotor, and the band is grounded and this
> turns the indicator on. The indicator eventually breaks and must be

replaced
> to turn the indicator off. If you didn't look at the new sensor very

close,
> you might have not noticed that it was already broken, in which case the
> indicator would remain on. Or, you could have mounted the new sensor in
> error, and the metal band is already grounding out, which will leave the
> indicator on.
>
> If you only replaced one set of brake pads, the problem is likely that the
> other set of pads also needs replacing. This is where I'd be looking

first.

i only replaced the front brake pads.
i'll go see at the rear pads tomorrow or so
thx

Old June 15th 05, 06:00 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Ludo > wrote:
> sorry for the 'break', it was 'brake'
> my english is not that good.

> i have replaced the sensor, but still get the message on the dashboard.
> Is it possible that the sensor is damaged?

On some, the warning light doesn't re-set immediately. Try leaving the
ignition on without starting the engine for a few minutes.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.