1998 Ford Mustang Cobra Signature Series.

Old May 30th 05, 11:01 PM
Richard

How often are you cleaning the filter? K&N service specs indicate a 50-100K
miles cleaning interval depending upon driving conditions.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

"SVTKate" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Good Job RIchard.
> Thanks!
>
> That reminds me, time to clean my K&N again.. and my MAF while I'm in

there
> *sigh*
> wht a pain in the arse.
>
> Kate
>
> "Richard" > wrote in message
> |I emailed them and they do require oil.
> |
> | --
> | Richard
> |

> | "SVTKate" > wrote in message
> | ink.net...
> | > I went to their website,
> | > it's so small I had trouble reading it.
> | > Looks like shrunken PDFs.
> | >
> | > So I dunno.
> | >
> | > Damned if I am going to change my monitor settings and hunt down my
> | glasses
> | > just to read a website on something I am not planning to buy for

awhile.
> | > If ever.
> | >
> | > Maybe they DO have a dry one
> | > You could ask ol Bill S. (check the big block group) which one he was
> | > talking about
> | >
> | > Kate
> | >

> | > "Richard" > wrote in message
> | that's
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> recommended
> make
> | > the
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

found
> | it.

the

Old May 31st 05, 12:34 AM
SVTKate

Aboout once a year...
but it's been a little over that, though I have only put about 9000 miles on
it in the last year and a half... most of that because we moved across the
country and I drove it.

I just think it should be done, because it MUST get dirty.

Kate

"Richard" > wrote in message
| How often are you cleaning the filter? K&N service specs indicate a
50-100K
| miles cleaning interval depending upon driving conditions.
|
| --
| Richard
|
| '94 GT 'vert
| Under Drive Pulleys
| Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
| High Stall Torque Converter
| 4:10 Gears
| Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
| FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
| FRPP M5400-A Suspension
| Laser Red
|
| "SVTKate" > wrote in message
| hlink.net...
| > Good Job RIchard.
| > Thanks!
| >
| > That reminds me, time to clean my K&N again.. and my MAF while I'm in
| there
| > *sigh*
| > wht a pain in the arse.
| >
| > Kate
| >
| > "Richard" > wrote in message
| > |I emailed them and they do require oil.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Richard
| > |
| > |
| > | "SVTKate" > wrote in message
| > | ink.net...

| > | glasses
| awhile.

| > | that's
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > recommended
| > make
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| found
| > | it.

| the
| > | K&N

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Old May 31st 05, 02:38 AM
Richard

Here's the answer to the FAQ on the K&N site about cleaning

20. How do I know when to clean the filter?

The general rule of thumb is that the filter needs to be cleaned when the
dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 -
50,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check
your filter about once a year in normal usage.

Interesting that the sticker that came with my filter made reference to the
50-100K interval. Regardless, cleaning at 9K appears unnecessary unless
extremely dusty conditions prevailed.

I thought that I had read somewhere that the slight buildup of dust actually
helped in the cleaning without affecting air flows. Couldn't find that
reference though.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

news

Old May 31st 05, 03:55 AM
Richard

Here's K&N response to the MAF sensor contamination theory.

7. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle's mass air sensor to fail?

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a
K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor,
regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any
claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated
application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive
component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate,
testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors,
ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not
caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles.
K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of
reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking
airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by
some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated
MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not
completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore,
does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if
given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N
recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt
cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of
contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF
sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons,
unrelated to any visible contamination.

Old May 31st 05, 04:01 AM
SVTKate

Well, I think that they are full of it.

Common sense will dictate that the MAF will get some of the oil, even if a
microscopic amount from the air flowing through the filter.
Also... seriously Richard...
would you REALLY wait till your air cleaner got that dirty to clean it?

I keep my engine compartment spic & span, I'm sure not going to let the
innards of my engine get dirty if all it takes ia half an hour to clean a
filter.
I have allot invested in this car, I want it to be good for as long as
possible.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info, I had read most of it before.
I'm just kind of a real stickler for maintenance.

Kate

Old May 31st 05, 05:35 AM
Richard

Well no I wouldn't let mine get that dirty. However, getting dirty does not
mean that you are letting the innards of your engine get dirty. A dirty
filter can/will restrict the air flow and there is where you lose power and
fuel economy. I suspect that a dirty filter will give you cleaner air but
less of it. As far as the MAF is concerned, all I wanted to point out was
that a miniscule amount of filter oil should not affect its performance.
Now, how do you clean and dry your air filter in 30 minutes?

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

ink.net...

Old May 31st 05, 01:05 PM
SVTKate

| Now, how do you clean and dry your air filter in 30 minutes?

OHhhhh...
I never said it DRIES that fast LOL
Drives me crazy! But I do use the air compressor to blow allot of the water
out of it.

Kate

Old May 31st 05, 04:22 PM
Richard

Now you may indeed have dirtier innards. FAQ #22.

22. Can I use compressed air to dry the filter faster?

No, this can blow the filter material right out of the wire mesh and ruin
the filter. Pick a nice day to clean the filter and let it dry naturally.

--
Richard

link.net...

Old May 31st 05, 07:51 PM
SVTKate

I don't point it right IN the filter..
You can use air and not destroy stuff.

oh lord, you are taking me too literally to the extreme.

I believe I know what I am doing, ok.. how's that?

I have not ****ed anything up and I am not GOING to **** anything up
and if I do then I will be sure to keep my mouth shut so that you cannot say
I told you so..

ok???

quit pickin on me or I am gonna give you girl cooties!

Old June 1st 05, 06:05 AM
Richard

"SVTKate" > wrote in message
link.net...

> quit pickin on me or I am gonna give you girl cooties!

OK, OK you win. YUCK, girl cooties.

Richard