"93" Radio install

Old May 5th 05, 05:56 AM
K9KO

Default "93" Radio install

Bought a used 93 without a radio. I wanted to install a stock
am/fm/cass that was given to me, I was told came from an explorer.

Now I'm having trouble with the connectors,

I have radio wires coming out of the radio slot. One set goes to a
female connector with 8 tongue slots in 1 row, the other female
connector is square shaped with 2 rows of 4 pin slots.

The radio has 2 places to plug in connectors both have single row male
tongue connectors so 1 connector plugs in but the square female
connector does not match the single row radio slot.

Has any one on this group had this problem?

I know most readers are probably saying WTF is he asking. But I'm
guessing there are a few saying oh yeah, been through that, this is what
I ended up doing.

Sid

Old May 5th 05, 01:03 PM
Kevin Trojanowski

K9KO wrote:
> Bought a used 93 without a radio. I wanted to install a stock
> am/fm/cass that was given to me, I was told came from an explorer.
>
> Now I'm having trouble with the connectors,
>
> I have radio wires coming out of the radio slot. One set goes to a
> female connector with 8 tongue slots in 1 row, the other female
> connector is square shaped with 2 rows of 4 pin slots.
>
> The radio has 2 places to plug in connectors both have single row male
> tongue connectors so 1 connector plugs in but the square female
> connector does not match the single row radio slot.
>
> Has any one on this group had this problem?

My guess is the Explorer you bought has the higher-end stereo option,
but the stereo you have came from an Explorer that didn't. Your plugs
sound like mine (it has been a year since I looked at them, so I don't
recall for certain).

-Kevin
Old May 5th 05, 06:15 PM
Ulysses

"K9KO" > wrote in message

> Bought a used 93 without a radio. I wanted to install a stock
> am/fm/cass that was given to me, I was told came from an explorer.
>
> Now I'm having trouble with the connectors,

> I know most readers are probably saying WTF is he asking. But I'm
> guessing there are a few saying oh yeah, been through that, this is what
> I ended up doing.
>
> Sid

I'm trying to find out how to put a generic stereo in a '92. Yesterday I
was at Walmart and apparently there are install kits available that attach
to the new stereo and then it pops into the slot like the Ford stereo. The
kits also seem to come with a removal tool. There are also wiring adapters
but Walmart didn't have the right ones in stock. My next stop is going to
be an auto parts store and see what they have. It also seems (from what
I've read) that the "Premium Sound" stereos and the regular ones have
different connectors but it looks to me like they are the same since I was
able to take the "Premium" one out of my '91 and stick it in the '92 (and
vice versa) without any difficulties or changes. Both used only one of the
smaller, square connectors plus the other, longer connector.

To add to the confusion the Eddie Bower Explorer had the regular stereo and
the LTX had the Premium Sound. It seems like it should be the other way
around.

Please post your results. I'm not willing to give Ford $480 for a stereo
that pops right in.

Old May 6th 05, 04:22 AM
K9KO

The install kit I seen at WM did not have the removal tool or wiring
adapters enclosed. The packaging is deceiving.
In small print is says best used with/then in large print DIN removal
tool and wiring, giving you the impression its enclosed.
And the connectors at WM for the explorer were 2 of the long ones that
would have fit my radio but not the vehicle end.
I think my next step is to pull one out of a similar vehicle in a
salvage yard and check the wiring.

Old May 6th 05, 06:00 PM
Ulysses

"K9KO" > wrote in message

> The install kit I seen at WM did not have the removal tool or wiring
> adapters enclosed. The packaging is deceiving.
> In small print is says best used with/then in large print DIN removal
> tool and wiring, giving you the impression its enclosed.

I noticed that the wiring connector was seperate, but I missed the removal
tool part. Thanks.

> And the connectors at WM for the explorer were 2 of the long ones that
> would have fit my radio but not the vehicle end.
> I think my next step is to pull one out of a similar vehicle in a
> salvage yard and check the wiring.

I emailed you a pic of the connections on the back on my stereo from my '91.
With the unit right-side-up the connectors will be on the right. The top
one on the far right has two connections, the middle has eight, and the
bottom one has six. The longer connector toward the left has eight. It
seems unlikely that it would be different for a '93 but we are talking about
Ford here.

Hope this saves you a trip to the salvage yard.

Old May 6th 05, 06:05 PM
Big Shoe

Crutchfield.com sells wiring kits to adapt standard radios to the Ford
wiring harness. Also take a look at http://www.bestkits.com/

On Fri, 6 May 2005 10:00:29 -0700, "Ulysses"

Old May 6th 05, 06:35 PM
Ulysses

"Big Shoe" > wrote in message
> Crutchfield.com sells wiring kits to adapt standard radios to the Ford

Thanks!

Old May 7th 05, 02:42 AM
Ulysses

"K9KO" > wrote in message

K9KO... lemmesee... you have a dog that is a boxer?

Old May 9th 05, 04:35 AM
K9KO

Old May 9th 05, 05:03 AM
K9KO

No but good guess. K9KO was after a Newfoundland dog named Kao. She was
a great Dog that passed away last November. She saved lives in the water
and on land.
http://community-2.webtv.net/CRATEXCAPE/KAO/

I am training a boxer named Frazier who every one mistakingly thinks is
named after the tv show.

(Ulysses) wrote:
K9KO... lemmesee... you have a dog that is a boxer?

Audi Radio: Delta CC in 96 Audi Cab doesn't turn on...... [email protected] Audi 4 March 19th 05 02:28 PM
2004 TJ Radio Removal? Intergate Jeep 2 February 10th 05 02:52 AM
dealer replaced radio, still doesn't work caburnham BMW 5 November 20th 04 06:08 PM
97 explorer radio lights Don-Don Ford Explorer 1 October 27th 04 01:48 AM
On-board Radio Diagnostic Oppie Saturn 0 August 23rd 04 02:39 AM