horns

Old March 7th 05, 03:53 PM
N8N

Bill 2 wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> > Magnulus wrote:
> >> I was driving around the other day, passed an intersection. I

slowed
> >> down a bit because I was looking for a place on the side of the

road (a
> >> gas
> >> station, I missed it). Traffic was picking up a bit, and I was

really
> >> trying to concentrate on the road ahead, so I couldn't pay too

much
> >> attention to the sides of the road. The soccer mom in the giant
> >> minivan/SUV
> >> monstrosity behind me starts blaring on the horn, then cuts around

and
> >> passes. I think the world would be better off without horns.

It's
> >> sort
> >> of like the old saying "if you can't say something nice, don't say

> >> anything
> >> at all". Just because you are unhappy with a certain persons

driving
> >> doesn't give you the right to shout it out to the world. Why do

we have
> >> horns left in cars? It's just tradition I guess. There's no law

saying
> >> you
> >> have to have one.
> >>
> >> What's even worse is people who get ticked off and think giving
> >> somebody
> >> else an obscene gesture is cute. I know somebody who does this

way too
> >> often. I try to tell them it can get you killed, it's just a

pointless
> >> waste of time that makes you more ticked off, but some people

don't
> >> learn.
> >>

> > I think people should use their horns *more often.* I hardly ever

hear a
> > horn used, but I see drivers doing all sorts of rude crap to other

drivers
> > every day.

> You should visit Chicago sometime.

I have; I found it fairly easy to drive there, aside from the fact that
it required a knowledge of where one was going (fortunately, I had a
local navigatrix with me the last time I was there) and some amount of
attention paid to other traffic, mirrors, etc. At least the locals
drove like they were trying to get somewhere!

> > Maybe if people used their horns more the a-holes would realize

that their
> > behavior isn't acceptable.

> I do this, but my passengers complain because I guess I'm being

'rude'. They
> never say anything about the driver I'm honking at. I guess I should

just
> show them 'consideration'.

IMHO you should suggest to them that when they're behind the wheel they
can drive however they please.

nate

Old March 7th 05, 03:59 PM
The Office Jet

I resort to using my horn only when necessary. I try to avoid using it
simply for the sake of using it. I'd rather have mine mean something
when i do use it. I'll honk if I'm about to get hit or about to hit
someone else. Also, if the person is simply driving like a fool in
fromt of me.

Old March 7th 05, 04:12 PM
N8N

The Office Jet wrote:
> I resort to using my horn only when necessary. I try to avoid using

it
> simply for the sake of using it. I'd rather have mine mean something
> when i do use it. I'll honk if I'm about to get hit or about to hit
> someone else. Also, if the person is simply driving like a fool in
> fromt of me.

I agree with you, the point that I was trying to make is that people
are reluctant to honk even when others are, as you say, driving like a
fool in front of them. Maybe it's just a regional thing (I live a few
miles outside of DC.)

nate

Old March 7th 05, 04:50 PM
Bill 2

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bill 2 wrote:

> slowed

> road (a

> really

> much

> and

> It's

> driving

> we have

> saying

> way too

> pointless

> don't
>> >>

>> > I think people should use their horns *more often.* I hardly ever

> hear a
>> > horn used, but I see drivers doing all sorts of rude crap to other

> drivers
>> > every day.

>> You should visit Chicago sometime.

> I have; I found it fairly easy to drive there, aside from the fact that
> it required a knowledge of where one was going (fortunately, I had a
> local navigatrix with me the last time I was there) and some amount of
> attention paid to other traffic, mirrors, etc. At least the locals
> drove like they were trying to get somewhere!

If you wait a second or two after the light turns green before going,
chances are a cab behind you will go HONK. Not that they honk at me, because
I didn't drive around Chicago, I walked.

Old March 7th 05, 05:02 PM
N8N

Bill 2 wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Bill 2 wrote:

> >> You should visit Chicago sometime.

> > I have; I found it fairly easy to drive there, aside from the fact

that
> > it required a knowledge of where one was going (fortunately, I had

> > local navigatrix with me the last time I was there) and some amount

of
> > attention paid to other traffic, mirrors, etc. At least the locals
> > drove like they were trying to get somewhere!

> If you wait a second or two after the light turns green before going,

> chances are a cab behind you will go HONK. Not that they honk at me,

because
> I didn't drive around Chicago, I walked.

I don't have a problem with that. That's the way it *should* be!

nate

Old March 7th 05, 05:15 PM
Larry Bud

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "Scott en Aztl=E1n" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:42:07 -0500, "Magnulus"

> > wrote:

> Just because you are unhappy with a certain persons driving
> >>doesn't give you the right to shout it out to the world.

> > The First Amendment says I do.

> Um, Scott--I checked my copy of the Bill of Rights. There's nothing

in
> there saying it's okay to give another driver the finger

Of course it does. See the 10th amendment.

Old March 7th 05, 05:26 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Larry Bud" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:42:07 -0500, "Magnulus"

> > wrote:

> Just because you are unhappy with a certain persons driving
> >>doesn't give you the right to shout it out to the world.

> > The First Amendment says I do.

> Um, Scott--I checked my copy of the Bill of Rights. There's nothing

in
> there saying it's okay to give another driver the finger

Of course it does. See the 10th amendment.

Damn. He's right. It's not an absolute right, and I doubt a finger would
stand up in court (even though it does on the road), but there it is.

I have never given the finger to another driver, and the last time I gave a
finger to anybody, platform shoes had just been invented.

Old March 7th 05, 05:54 PM
Cartlon Shew

wrote:

> I was driving around the other day, passed an intersection. I slowed
>down a bit because I was looking for a place on the side of the road (a gas
>station, I missed it). Traffic was picking up a bit, and I was really
>trying to concentrate on the road ahead, so I couldn't pay too much
>attention to the sides of the road. The soccer mom in the giant minivan/SUV
>monstrosity behind me starts blaring on the horn, then cuts around and
>passes. I think the world would be better off without horns. It's sort
>of like the old saying "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything
>at all". Just because you are unhappy with a certain persons driving
>doesn't give you the right to shout it out to the world. Why do we have
>horns left in cars? It's just tradition I guess. There's no law saying you
>have to have one.
>
> What's even worse is people who get ticked off and think giving somebody
>else an obscene gesture is cute.

Actually, I find it amusing when people do that - it means they lost.

Old March 7th 05, 09:27 PM
Bill 2

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bill 2 wrote:
>> "N8N" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > I have; I found it fairly easy to drive there, aside from the fact

> that
>> > it required a knowledge of where one was going (fortunately, I had

>> > local navigatrix with me the last time I was there) and some amount

> of
>> > attention paid to other traffic, mirrors, etc. At least the locals
>> > drove like they were trying to get somewhere!

>> If you wait a second or two after the light turns green before going,

>> chances are a cab behind you will go HONK. Not that they honk at me,

> because
>> I didn't drive around Chicago, I walked.

> I don't have a problem with that. That's the way it *should* be!

actually there shouldn't be the problems prompting the honking in the first
place.

Old March 7th 05, 11:53 PM
DTJ

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:11:07 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>I think people should use their horns *more often.* I hardly ever hear
>a horn used, but I see drivers doing all sorts of rude crap to other
>drivers every day. Maybe if people used their horns more the a-holes
>would realize that their behavior isn't acceptable.

I saw one used this weekend, very nicely in fact.

Lake Shore Drive Northbound just past the S-curve. I think the name
of the street you can turn left on to is either Columbus or Chicago.
Whatever it is, some dumb ass bitch decides to make a left.
Unfortunately she was over to the right about 3 lanes. As she moved
in front of traffic, traffic moving at about 50MPH, she stops and
turns on her signal. Now, picture that the left turn lane is backed
up for a few hundred feet, and she is halfway past most of those cars.
So there is no way for her to merge. And this is Chicago. Think
about what that means to sloth mergers.

So this rather large SUV comes up behind her, horn blaring a constant
song of "get the **** out of the way you stupid ****ing bitch", and
she decides to move. 3 feet. Horn continues. She moves another 3
feet. This continues for about 100 feet until she goes through the
green light and continues on North. Presumably she got into the turn
lane somewhere up ahead and managed to make her turn. Personally I
think the guy with the horn should have used a missile launcher, but
the horn worked in this case.

air horns stopped working! Dan Mazda 3 January 31st 05 07:57 AM
Air Horns not Working! Dan Mazda 0 January 31st 05 03:00 AM
Speaking of car horns... and lawsuits...and jail time [email protected] Technology 8 December 22nd 04 07:55 PM
Aftermarket Horns for 01 cabby? Bat- Man VW water cooled 3 November 1st 04 03:07 AM
Problem with horns on '66 Ford Fairlane The Guy Antique cars 0 October 5th 03 03:12 PM