WTB - '67-8 Mustang / Cougar hood hinges

Old February 9th 05, 01:10 AM
Wound Up

Default WTB - '67-8 Mustang / Cougar hood hinges

Does anyone have a good, tight set of these they'd be willing to sell
me? They are scarce around here, and I'd rather have good originals
than repros. My new hood is 1/2-inch "popped up" at the cowl, and it's
really bugging me.

I don't know what other cars used this hinge, but I'm sure many of you
do. Of course I would cover whatever shipping method would be most
convenient for you.

Thanks,

Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old February 12th 05, 02:21 AM
Mike R

In article >, Wound Up
> wrote:

> Does anyone have a good, tight set of these they'd be willing to sell
> me? They are scarce around here, and I'd rather have good originals
> than repros. My new hood is 1/2-inch "popped up" at the cowl, and it's
> really bugging me.

Was your old hood flush to the cowl and fenders before replacement???

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old February 12th 05, 02:54 AM
Wound Up

Mike R wrote:
> In article >, Wound Up
> > wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have a good, tight set of these they'd be willing to sell
>>me? They are scarce around here, and I'd rather have good originals
>>than repros. My new hood is 1/2-inch "popped up" at the cowl, and it's
>>really bugging me.

> Was your old hood flush to the cowl and fenders before replacement???

Yes. It was pretty much the same. New "Ford tooling" hood, bodywork
done professionally....

Looking at Ebay and other sources. NOS and rebuilt cores ain't cheap...

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old February 12th 05, 02:56 AM
Wound Up

> Was your old hood flush to the cowl and fenders before replacement???

Scratch the "yes". NO, it was pretty much the same as it is now =)

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old February 12th 05, 04:14 AM
Mike R

In article >, Wound Up >
wrote:

> > Was your old hood flush to the cowl and fenders before replacement???

> Scratch the "yes". NO, it was pretty much the same as it is now =)
>

> > --
> > Mike
> > 93 Cobra

With the hood closed, can you apply hand pressure against the raised
section causing it to lower or become more flush??? I'm having a flashback
here thinking about a similar situation with my 69 thirty some years ago.
It wasn't the fault of the hinges either. Have you tried adjusting the
hood yourself or was it done by a body shop???

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old February 12th 05, 03:42 PM
Wound Up

Mike R wrote:
> In article >, Wound Up >
> wrote:
>

>>>Was your old hood flush to the cowl and fenders before replacement???

>>Scratch the "yes". NO, it was pretty much the same as it is now =)
>>

>>>--
>>>Mike
>>>93 Cobra

> With the hood closed, can you apply hand pressure against the raised
> section causing it to lower or become more flush???

A bit, but not enough. It's a good 1/2" off.

I'm having a flashback
> here thinking about a similar situation with my 69 thirty some years ago.
> It wasn't the fault of the hinges either. Have you tried adjusting the
> hood yourself or was it done by a body shop???

Interesting to know they still were prone to that problem when new...

The body man (guy I know, 25 yrs. exp.) said "you need hood hinges", in
explanation of how it (still) looked. Rest of the front end's (fenders,
hood, valance were replaced) gaps are nearly perfect. Really bugged the
crap out of him. I think they're toast. I might try adjusting the
hood, but as I recall, he said something to the effect of "did the best
I could".

Thanks for the suggestion... I understand these are commonly problematic
in the old beasts. I'm gonna take another look. I did replace the
springs, but that didn't help much at all

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old February 12th 05, 06:54 PM
Mike R

In article >, Wound Up >
wrote:

> Mike R wrote:

> >>Scratch the "yes". NO, it was pretty much the same as it is now =)

> > With the hood closed, can you apply hand pressure against the raised
> > section causing it to lower or become more flush???

> A bit, but not enough. It's a good 1/2" off.
>
> I'm having a flashback
> > here thinking about a similar situation with my 69 thirty some years ago.
> > It wasn't the fault of the hinges either. Have you tried adjusting the
> > hood yourself or was it done by a body shop???

> Interesting to know they still were prone to that problem when new...

It was about 10 years old when this occured, so roughly 25 years ago. I
got the math wrong.

> The body man (guy I know, 25 yrs. exp.) said "you need hood hinges", in
> explanation of how it (still) looked. Rest of the front end's (fenders,
> hood, valance were replaced) gaps are nearly perfect. Really bugged the
> crap out of him. I think they're toast. I might try adjusting the
> hood, but as I recall, he said something to the effect of "did the best
> I could".
>
> Thanks for the suggestion... I understand these are commonly problematic
> in the old beasts. I'm gonna take another look. I did replace the
> springs, but that didn't help much at all

FWIW,

Raise the hood. Loosen the bolts (three per side) securing the hinges to
the fender apron. Have an assistant apply additional upward pressure
against the hood, causing the hinges to lean back, then tighten the bolts.
Be VERY careful when lowering the hood, as this will cause a change in
hood position toward the cowl. Lower the hood *SLOWLY*, carefully taking
note of any hood to cowl interference. Then raise and loosen the bolts
(two per side) securing the hinges to the hood. Lower and align to cowl
and fenders. Gently raise and tighten hinge bolts to hood.

If that doesn't help, again, apply upward pressure, only this time with
all bolts tightened, and look for hinge movement where it mounts to the
apron. It shouldn't move. If it does, the apron nuts may be loose or
elongated which means you'll be chasing the adjustments to no end. I
believe that's what happened to mine, so I had it repaired at the body
shop. My hinges were ok. Hopefully yours have been well lubricated and the
scissor doesn't bend toward the center when lowering the hood. With 25
years experience, the body man should know what he's doing, so you may
indeed need replacement hinges. That's about all I can remember to help
you out...HTH

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old February 13th 05, 03:49 AM
Wound Up

>>Mike R wrote:

>>>With the hood closed, can you apply hand pressure against the raised
>>>section causing it to lower or become more flush???

>>A bit, but not enough. It's a good 1/2" off.
>>
>>I'm having a flashback
>>
>>>here thinking about a similar situation with my 69 thirty some years ago.
>>>It wasn't the fault of the hinges either. Have you tried adjusting the
>>>hood yourself or was it done by a body shop???

>>Interesting to know they still were prone to that problem when new...

> It was about 10 years old when this occured, so roughly 25 years ago. I
> got the math wrong.
>

>>The body man (guy I know, 25 yrs. exp.) said "you need hood hinges", in
>>explanation of how it (still) looked. Rest of the front end's (fenders,
>>hood, valance were replaced) gaps are nearly perfect. Really bugged the
>>crap out of him. I think they're toast. I might try adjusting the
>>hood, but as I recall, he said something to the effect of "did the best
>>I could".
>>
>>Thanks for the suggestion... I understand these are commonly problematic
>>in the old beasts. I'm gonna take another look. I did replace the
>>springs, but that didn't help much at all

> FWIW,
>
> Raise the hood. Loosen the bolts (three per side) securing the hinges to
> the fender apron. Have an assistant apply additional upward pressure
> against the hood, causing the hinges to lean back, then tighten the bolts.
> Be VERY careful when lowering the hood, as this will cause a change in
> hood position toward the cowl. Lower the hood *SLOWLY*, carefully taking
> note of any hood to cowl interference. Then raise and loosen the bolts
> (two per side) securing the hinges to the hood. Lower and align to cowl
> and fenders. Gently raise and tighten hinge bolts to hood.
>
> If that doesn't help, again, apply upward pressure, only this time with
> all bolts tightened, and look for hinge movement where it mounts to the
> apron. It shouldn't move. If it does, the apron nuts may be loose or
> elongated which means you'll be chasing the adjustments to no end. I
> believe that's what happened to mine, so I had it repaired at the body
> shop. My hinges were ok. Hopefully yours have been well lubricated and the
> scissor doesn't bend toward the center when lowering the hood. With 25
> years experience, the body man should know what he's doing, so you may
> indeed need replacement hinges. That's about all I can remember to help
> you out...HTH
>
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give it a try, and will let you
know how well it works. I'd like to avoid expensive replacements...

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old April 11th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Loosen two of the three bolts on each hinge and gently press the hood more
open. have a buddy tighten the bolts, or youself if you're able, while
pressing up on the hood. Then slowly lower the hood and adjust fore and aft,
left and right position. Basically, rotate your hinges the opposite rotation
of your tires while driving forward to get it to sit lower in the back. If
the hood sits too low, back off a bit.

--
Mark