Any advice before I attempt my first type1 body off?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 18th 05, 12:07 AM
tricky

My 1303 is half way through a body off resto

Floor pans are done

I took the doors off. I will fix a brace across the door opening before
I cut out the heater channels. (bugme dont leave the doors on ! )

I measured the hole offset from the tunnel to the floor pan holes and
made sure the new ones went in the same place. I will 'loose' fit the
heater channels and put the body on to line up the holes and door
opening (as in the bugme vid's ) before I weld it good and proper (thats
my plan anyway)

I dont know what shape yours is in, but it took me more time to undo
PO's bad repairs before I could separate the body. The heater channels
were welded to the floor all the way round !

Some of the 17mm bolts that I removed 'span' in the chassis, so I guess
I will have to weld new nuts to the body chassis points before I can
bolt the rolling chassis back up. (dont know if you have the same bolts
on a standard bug)

be prepared for more work than you think. I am just about to replace
the frame head. It looked ok before I could see it :-) .

other bits and pieces - like the front and back valences were full of
filler (bondo) etc.

Mainly rusted nut/bolts/bleed nipples etc... are what slowed me down.

Its not too bad when you get it separated and can see the task ahead !

Good luck, and if I can be of any help while the body is still off mine
(photos etc. ), just ask !

Rich

Remco wrote:
> Hey Guys
>
> I am getting ready to do my first body off repair on my 75 regular bug
> as it needs heater channels and floor panels. I'll also do some work on
> the frame, brakes, etc. I'll take my time and will not be in a great
> hurry to get it back together.
>
> Have read through several very helpful websites and googled the
> subject. Watched the bugme video ad Nauseum, according to my wife
>
>>From what I've gathered, these are the most important points to

> remember, but would like to know what you guys think:
>
> 1 - Don't open the doors - ever! I could just weld one spot to make
> sure this won't happen, or could just lock the door. Welding is more
> fun
> 2 - Weld cross braces in the door openings before the body off is
> attempted.
> 3 - Be sure to line up the holes in the floor panel/heater channels. I
> figure I'll make a template out of plyboard and index it to something
> that won't change to make sure nothing moves. Not sure what a good
> common index would be.
> 4 - Learn to curse like a boatworker and blame stuff on your tools when
> something goes wrong - got that covered
>
> Should I put a cross brace across the width of the bug?
> I'd imagine that everything will start flopping around when the old
> heater channels are cut out. Or should I not worry about that? (It
> would be a pain to work around this brace, but that would be much
> lessened by cursing like a boatworker).
>
> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
>
> Remco

Advice needed on "hobby" body work [email protected] Technology 3 April 19th 05 05:32 AM
Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 01:49 AM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 17th 04 12:38 AM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM