98 Accord won't start

Old September 20th 05, 03:32 AM

Default 98 Accord won't start

Hoping for some help from the car gurus out there. I have a 98 Honda
Accord V6 EX with ~138,000 miles on it (lots of highway miles during
commutes for six years). My work situation changed recently and for the
last six months my car has sat in the driveway frequently idle for a
few days at a time and then when used usually only for short trips.
Suddenly today, out of the blue, the car won't start. The car had sat
idle for about 1 week.

Symptom:
Turn key, starter continuously runs (rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei) but
the engine doesn't turn over. Lights all bright and don't seem to dim
when the starter is running. I waited a few hours and tried again to
same effect.

I just had the alternator, battery, ignition coil all replaces 1.5
years ago for a different problem so I doubt any of those have failed
(the dealer told me they changed the ignition switch too as a recall
item but it never showed on any documentation).

I've never had any problem starting the car before, no hard starts even
in cold weather.

So what might be the problem? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the
imagination but could it be the starter motor? I don't think it's the
battery ot any of the electical system. I'd like to have some idea
whats wrong before I have it towed to be looked at.

All help is greatly appreciated!

-MikeK

Old September 20th 05, 04:15 AM
remco

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Symptom:
> Turn key, starter continuously runs (rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei) but
> the engine doesn't turn over. Lights all bright and don't seem to dim
> when the starter is running. I waited a few hours and tried again to
> same effect.
>
> I just had the alternator, battery, ignition coil all replaces 1.5
> years ago for a different problem so I doubt any of those have failed
> (the dealer told me they changed the ignition switch too as a recall
> item but it never showed on any documentation).

It is hard to imagine how the "rei-rei-rei" sounds without knowing how many
'rei's per second are heard
Seriously, is it a lot faster than normal? The lights not dimming sort of
indicates that the starter is not drawing the same amount of current as it
would under normal circumstances. This could be because it is not engaging
the flywheel.
Are your belts spinning along with you trying to start?

If the belts are not spinning and it is a lot faster than normal, there's a
good change your starter is bad. (actually, the relay on top of the
starter).

Remco

Old September 20th 05, 05:22 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

> Hoping for some help from the car gurus out there. I have a 98 Honda
> Accord V6 EX with ~138,000 miles on it (lots of highway miles during
> commutes for six years). My work situation changed recently and for the
> last six months my car has sat in the driveway frequently idle for a
> few days at a time and then when used usually only for short trips.
> Suddenly today, out of the blue, the car won't start. The car had sat
> idle for about 1 week.
>
> Symptom:
> Turn key, starter continuously runs (rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei) but
> the engine doesn't turn over. Lights all bright and don't seem to dim
> when the starter is running. I waited a few hours and tried again to
> same effect.
>
> I just had the alternator, battery, ignition coil all replaces 1.5
> years ago for a different problem so I doubt any of those have failed
> (the dealer told me they changed the ignition switch too as a recall
> item but it never showed on any documentation).
>
> I've never had any problem starting the car before, no hard starts even
> in cold weather.
>
> So what might be the problem? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the
> imagination but could it be the starter motor? I don't think it's the
> battery ot any of the electical system. I'd like to have some idea
> whats wrong before I have it towed to be looked at.
>
> All help is greatly appreciated!
>
> -MikeK

================================

I think you mean to say it's turning over (the engine), but not firing.
Read the part in your owner's manual about 'flooded engine'(how to start
your engine). You've probably got a leaking injector, which bleeds the
pressurized fuel out of the fuel rail overnight, flooding the engine.
Hold the pedal to the floor (per the manual) and it will start. It's got
a ton of gas, now it just needs you to hold the throttle open so it can
get some air. Techron injector cleaner will often fix it (the dribbling
injector). Our odyssey did it, and I ran two tanks of Gasohol through it
and it never happened again.

'Curly'
Old September 20th 05, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

The "rei-rei-rei"'s don't sound any faster than usual to me, I'll check
the belts to see if they're turning.

I'll also give the flooded engine trick a try, here's fingers crossed.

I just read something about the EFI relay, any chance it's that?
(although no check engine light)

-MikeK

Old September 20th 05, 01:19 PM

Curly,

I tried starting this morning and it still wouldn't fire. I did the
flooded engine thing (throttle halfway) and bang started up. It sounds
like you were right. I'll throw some injector cleaner in there and
hopefully that will clear it up. Thanks again for your help!

-MikeK

Old September 20th 05, 04:45 PM
Jason

In article >, "'Curly Q. Links'"

> > Hoping for some help from the car gurus out there. I have a 98 Honda
> > Accord V6 EX with ~138,000 miles on it (lots of highway miles during
> > commutes for six years). My work situation changed recently and for the
> > last six months my car has sat in the driveway frequently idle for a
> > few days at a time and then when used usually only for short trips.
> > Suddenly today, out of the blue, the car won't start. The car had sat
> > idle for about 1 week.
> >
> > Symptom:
> > Turn key, starter continuously runs (rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei) but
> > the engine doesn't turn over. Lights all bright and don't seem to dim
> > when the starter is running. I waited a few hours and tried again to
> > same effect.
> >
> > I just had the alternator, battery, ignition coil all replaces 1.5
> > years ago for a different problem so I doubt any of those have failed
> > (the dealer told me they changed the ignition switch too as a recall
> > item but it never showed on any documentation).
> >
> > I've never had any problem starting the car before, no hard starts even
> > in cold weather.
> >
> > So what might be the problem? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the
> > imagination but could it be the starter motor? I don't think it's the
> > battery ot any of the electical system. I'd like to have some idea
> > whats wrong before I have it towed to be looked at.
> >
> > All help is greatly appreciated!
> >
> > -MikeK

> ================================
>
> I think you mean to say it's turning over (the engine), but not firing.
> Read the part in your owner's manual about 'flooded engine'(how to start
> your engine). You've probably got a leaking injector, which bleeds the
> pressurized fuel out of the fuel rail overnight, flooding the engine.
> Hold the pedal to the floor (per the manual) and it will start. It's got
> a ton of gas, now it just needs you to hold the throttle open so it can
> get some air. Techron injector cleaner will often fix it (the dribbling
> injector). Our odyssey did it, and I ran two tanks of Gasohol through it
> and it never happened again.
>
> 'Curly'

Curly,
Great post. I was going to suggest changing or repairing the main relay
but your advice made much more sense in this case. Keep up the great work.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old September 20th 05, 05:04 PM
'Curly Q. Links'

Jason wrote:

> In article >, "'Curly Q. Links'"
> > wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hoping for some help from the car gurus out there. I have a 98 Honda
> > > Accord V6 EX with ~138,000 miles on it (lots of highway miles during
> > > commutes for six years). My work situation changed recently and for the
> > > last six months my car has sat in the driveway frequently idle for a
> > > few days at a time and then when used usually only for short trips.
> > > Suddenly today, out of the blue, the car won't start. The car had sat
> > > idle for about 1 week.
> > >
> > > Symptom:
> > > Turn key, starter continuously runs (rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei-rei) but
> > > the engine doesn't turn over. Lights all bright and don't seem to dim
> > > when the starter is running. I waited a few hours and tried again to
> > > same effect.
> > >
> > > I just had the alternator, battery, ignition coil all replaces 1.5
> > > years ago for a different problem so I doubt any of those have failed
> > > (the dealer told me they changed the ignition switch too as a recall
> > > item but it never showed on any documentation).
> > >
> > > I've never had any problem starting the car before, no hard starts even
> > > in cold weather.
> > >
> > > So what might be the problem? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the
> > > imagination but could it be the starter motor? I don't think it's the
> > > battery ot any of the electical system. I'd like to have some idea
> > > whats wrong before I have it towed to be looked at.
> > >
> > > All help is greatly appreciated!
> > >
> > > -MikeK

> > ================================
> >
> > I think you mean to say it's turning over (the engine), but not firing.
> > Read the part in your owner's manual about 'flooded engine'(how to start
> > your engine). You've probably got a leaking injector, which bleeds the
> > pressurized fuel out of the fuel rail overnight, flooding the engine.
> > Hold the pedal to the floor (per the manual) and it will start. It's got
> > a ton of gas, now it just needs you to hold the throttle open so it can
> > get some air. Techron injector cleaner will often fix it (the dribbling
> > injector). Our odyssey did it, and I ran two tanks of Gasohol through it
> > and it never happened again.
> >
> > 'Curly'

> Curly,
> Great post. I was going to suggest changing or repairing the main relay
> but your advice made much more sense in this case. Keep up the great work.
> Jason

---------------------------------

I'm quick to share that answer because I got a WRONG ANSWER a couple
years ago when my Odyssey wouldn't start one Monday morning, and ended
up replacing the Timing Belt (it was due anyway). After the belt was
changed it still wouldn't start. When I finally looked in the OWNER'S
MANUAL, I found the answer. Now I keep the owner's manual in the house,
sometimes even in the BATHROOM, so at least _somebody_ will read it. :-)

'Curly'
Old September 20th 05, 05:42 PM
remco

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the quick replies guys!
>
> The "rei-rei-rei"'s don't sound any faster than usual to me, I'll check
> the belts to see if they're turning.
>
> I'll also give the flooded engine trick a try, here's fingers crossed.
>
> I just read something about the EFI relay, any chance it's that?
> (although no check engine light)
>
> -MikeK

Doubt it is is the main relay. Don't bother checking the belts:
Since it fired up, run some cleaner through it as Curly suggested - I bet
he's right and it will clear up in your case.

Remco

Old September 20th 05, 06:33 PM
Elle

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote
> I'm quick to share that answer because I got a WRONG ANSWER a couple
> years ago when my Odyssey wouldn't start one Monday morning, and ended
> up replacing the Timing Belt (it was due anyway). After the belt was
> changed it still wouldn't start. When I finally looked in the OWNER'S
> MANUAL, I found the answer. Now I keep the owner's manual in the house,
> sometimes even in the BATHROOM, so at least _somebody_ will read it. :-)

This is one of the most humorous yet intelligent posts I've seen on a
newsgroup in a week. :-)

Old October 14th 05, 12:17 AM

Sadly I reported success too quickly. I got the car to start, filled
the tank and added the fuel injector cleaner. Everything seemed fine
for a few days ( a few hard starts but then it would fire up and run ).
Now the car is a brick, no amount of playing with the throttle will get
the engine to fire. I read up on the "main relay" PGM-EFI that seems to
cause multiple headaches for other honda owners. Listening for the
"clicks" in the relay I noticed that there was only one click (turning
the key to the on position) and that even on close listeneing the fuel
pump didn't seem to be running for the two seconds (and no followup
"click" for the fuelpump shutoff). I thought for sure that was the
problem. After much effort I was able to remove the relay, pop the case
off, reflow the solder and reconnect it. All three clicks are now
present and I hear the fuel pump run on switching thekey to the on
position. I though for sure that would fix the problem, but alas no.

All the start attempt drained the battery so I thought maybe if I jump
started it I could get it to run, but that didn't work either.

The engine cranks but will not fire. Now I smell a lot more gas when
trying to start it. Any other ideas before I have it towed to a
mechaninc?

91 Honda Accord no start pete Technology 1 May 21st 05 04:46 AM
intermittent start stevie Honda 3 May 6th 05 04:20 PM
97 V6 SOHC Will Intermittantly Not Start - loses clock/radio memory settings??? Jeff Ford Explorer 0 January 20th 05 03:11 AM
91 accord wont start [email protected] Honda 3 January 4th 05 08:44 PM
94 accord cranks but won't start Matt Honda 7 January 3rd 05 02:06 AM