Price for 635 clutch replacement

Old September 30th 04, 02:23 AM
Paddington

Default Price for 635 clutch replacement

Thanks to all who helped me with my last post. Today I got the car in the
shop and they rebuilt the master and slavr cylinders and said it was still
hardly driveable, so it looks like a new clutch will be in the works. They
quoted me around $1400 for the job. Does this sound reasonable? Are there
any newer clutchs or upgrades they should perform (for example when I used a
spring center clutch instead of the original for my Porsche 944)? Any
thoughts?

Old September 30th 04, 09:14 AM
adder

"Paddington" > wrote in message >...
> Thanks to all who helped me with my last post. Today I got the car in the
> shop and they rebuilt the master and slavr cylinders and said it was still
> hardly driveable, so it looks like a new clutch will be in the works. They
> quoted me around $1400 for the job. Does this sound reasonable? Are there
> any newer clutchs or upgrades they should perform (for example when I used a
> spring center clutch instead of the original for my Porsche 944)? Any
> thoughts?

What happens if after putting on a new clutch it's still no better?
Old September 30th 04, 08:49 PM
bfd

"adder" > wrote in message
om...
> "Paddington" > wrote in message

> > Thanks to all who helped me with my last post. Today I got the car in

the
> > shop and they rebuilt the master and slavr cylinders and said it was

still
> > hardly driveable, so it looks like a new clutch will be in the works.

They
> > quoted me around $1400 for the job. Does this sound reasonable? Are

there
> > any newer clutchs or upgrades they should perform (for example when I

used a
> > spring center clutch instead of the original for my Porsche 944)? Any
> > thoughts?

> What happens if after putting on a new clutch it's still no better?

Before you do any work on your car, maybe you ought to find a good
independent who *knows* BMWs and have them diagnose it. Since you don't say
where you are located, check out this list to find a shop nearest you:

http://www.iaibmwsp.com/MemberShops.htm

Old October 1st 04, 06:34 PM
C.R. Krieger

"Paddington" > wrote in message >...
> Thanks to all who helped me with my last post. Today I got the car in the
> shop and they rebuilt the master and slavr cylinders and said it was still
> hardly driveable, so it looks like a new clutch will be in the works. They
> quoted me around $1400 for the job. Does this sound reasonable?

I dropped about $1000 on my 535is clutch replacement that included a
new guibo and center driveshaft bearing. Your drivetrain is identical
to mine, at least in all the parts we're dealing with here. Hope
you're close to Milwaukee (The Little Car Shop)!

As another poster suggested, look for a good independent near you for
a similar deal. I haven't seen OEM clutches behind M30 3.5 engines go
less than 150K miles unless wildly abused. Odds are, it's your
throwout bearing (mine was - the clutch was fine with 175K on it), but
it makes no sense to go to all the trouble to change that without
changing the clutch too. Unless you're drag racing or you slapped a
turbo into your car, an OEM clutch will be fine.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)