Gran Turismo HD for PS3

Old April 15th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Default Gran Turismo HD for PS3

Whilst I have recognised Gran Turismo's place in computer driving
history it has never been of great interest to me. Maybe due to my
ineptitude with console controllers and the lack of decent AI &
multiplayer. Pretty graphics, a half decent driving experience compared
with arcade racers like Ridge Racer etc. but hardly likely to be the
"next GPL".

I got to try out a PS3 running the demo of GT HD. It certainly looked
the part but I couldn't drive it in a straight line with that darned
controller.

Today I hooked up my G25 having read it would work in spite of the lack
of a config option for it.

I was very very impressed. Once all the aids were off (you need them to
have a chance with the standard issue controller) it really does drive
nicely. You can feel the weight of the car and certainly the slower cars
I tried (you have to unlock the faster ones) all felt really good
without any false power sliding and having to induce the rear end to
overcome understeer rather than any arcade feel.

Needless to say the graphics and sound are top notch and the replays are
to die for. I could watch myself driving endlessly :-)

Here is a youtube replay I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X25...elated&search=

I never thought I would be wanting to get on a console rather than a PC
racing sim but I really am with this.

Anyone else got to try it?

Cheers
Tony
Old May 8th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
stan royal

Tony Rickard wrote:
> Whilst I have recognised Gran Turismo's place in computer driving
> history it has never been of great interest to me. Maybe due to my
> ineptitude with console controllers and the lack of decent AI &
> multiplayer. Pretty graphics, a half decent driving experience compared
> with arcade racers like Ridge Racer etc. but hardly likely to be the
> "next GPL".
>
> I got to try out a PS3 running the demo of GT HD. It certainly looked
> the part but I couldn't drive it in a straight line with that darned
> controller.
>
> Today I hooked up my G25 having read it would work in spite of the lack
> of a config option for it.
>
> I was very very impressed. Once all the aids were off (you need them to
> have a chance with the standard issue controller) it really does drive
> nicely. You can feel the weight of the car and certainly the slower cars
> I tried (you have to unlock the faster ones) all felt really good
> without any false power sliding and having to induce the rear end to
> overcome understeer rather than any arcade feel.
>
> Needless to say the graphics and sound are top notch and the replays are
> to die for. I could watch myself driving endlessly :-)
>
> Here is a youtube replay I found:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X25...elated&search=
>
> I never thought I would be wanting to get on a console rather than a PC
> racing sim but I really am with this.
>
> Anyone else got to try it?
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Yep, I've. This is console racing coming of age, imo. Pure simulation. I
did have better luck with the gamepad and managed to unlock all the cars
with all the aids turned off. This was mainly due to the generous amount
of time they give you.

Do you know if the Logi Momo Force will work? I have one lurking somewhere.

Rather a shame you've only got this reply from a group that's supposed
to be about racing sims. PC snobbery? I hope not, because this is the
next gen. And yet another reason to own a PS3, blu-ray, wi-fi, linux,
home, keyboard and mouse support.
Old May 8th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

>> I never thought I would be wanting to get on a console rather than a PC
>> racing sim but I really am with this.
>>
>> Anyone else got to try it?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tony

> Yep, I've. This is console racing coming of age, imo. Pure simulation. I
> did have better luck with the gamepad and managed to unlock all the cars
> with all the aids turned off. This was mainly due to the generous amount
> of time they give you.
>
> Do you know if the Logi Momo Force will work? I have one lurking
> somewhere.
>
> Rather a shame you've only got this reply from a group that's supposed to
> be about racing sims. PC snobbery? I hope not, because this is the next
> gen. And yet another reason to own a PS3, blu-ray, wi-fi, linux, home,
> keyboard and mouse support.

I have to say i'm really curious about Forza 2 on the 360. They finally
realised that you needed a FF wheel to be taken seriously. I played GT3 and
GT4 and had a lot of fun with them. Graphically, GT HD looks amazing.

I feel that the PC sims are getting stale. The graphics are dated, and the
engines are becoming old. There hasn't been a new release that wasn't using
a reheated version of an existing game. LFS S2 has been in Alpha forever,
rFactor is a mess and the ISI engine is due for a new version.

Old May 8th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

stan royal wrote:

> Do you know if the Logi Momo Force will work? I have one lurking somewhere.

I believe it should.

http://forums.cex.co.uk/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=2&t=002508

Scroll down a bit and there is a reference to your wheel with a PS3.

Cheers
Tony
Old May 8th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

stan royal wrote:

> Rather a shame you've only got this reply from a group that's supposed
> to be about racing sims. PC snobbery? I hope not, because this is the
> next gen. And yet another reason to own a PS3, blu-ray, wi-fi, linux,
> home, keyboard and mouse support.

Well the PS3 is pretty new and you do need another reason to shell out
for one other than running a sim racing demo good that it is. Plus an HD
TV is pretty much essential to do it justice.

Though only after seeing GT:HD on a friends PS3 were my ears opened to
the arguments from the rest of the family. The downside is now having
singstar in the living room for the wife & daughters

The HD movie trailers look very impressive too.

Cheers
Tony
Old May 8th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Albert Ross

Tony Rickard wrote:
> stan royal wrote:
>
>> Do you know if the Logi Momo Force will work? I have one lurking
>> somewhere.

> I believe it should.
>
> http://forums.cex.co.uk/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=2&t=002508
>
> Scroll down a bit and there is a reference to your wheel with a PS3.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Thanks! I'll give it a try.