Sandblasting/ Rust Removal

Old October 9th 06, 07:47 AM posted to alt.autos.antique,rec.autos.antique
Scott Buchanan

Default Sandblasting/ Rust Removal

I am trying to remove the rust around the rear window on my Corvair. Most of
it comes off fairly easily. However, there are some black hard spots of rust
that will not come off. These are in areas where there are pits and rust
through. I can chip some of it off with a punch but it does not get it all
and there is too much to do it this way. I have used all purpose sand from
the hardware store and "Kleen Blast" with pressures up to 110 PSI.

Should I try another type of blasting media? A chemical? I really want to
have all gray metal before painting so I know that it is a good job.

While we are on the subject, what is a good way to fill the pin holes and
pitting? None of the holes are bigger than about 3/16". I suppose that
welding would be the best way, but this would be way too much work.

Thanks four your help,
Scott

Old October 9th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.autos.antique,rec.autos.antique
PeterD

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 23:47:03 -0700, "Scott Buchanan"
> wrote:

>I am trying to remove the rust around the rear window on my Corvair. Most of
>it comes off fairly easily. However, there are some black hard spots of rust
>that will not come off. These are in areas where there are pits and rust
>through. I can chip some of it off with a punch but it does not get it all
>and there is too much to do it this way. I have used all purpose sand from
>the hardware store and "Kleen Blast" with pressures up to 110 PSI.
>
>Should I try another type of blasting media? A chemical? I really want to
>have all gray metal before painting so I know that it is a good job.
>
>While we are on the subject, what is a good way to fill the pin holes and
>pitting? None of the holes are bigger than about 3/16". I suppose that
>welding would be the best way, but this would be way too much work.

If it is way too much work, slap some bondo on it?

To do it right requires work. If it was easy everyone would do it, and
it would be no fun...

I'd recommend solder filling for the holes. The lower heat reduces the
warpage of the metal. Once you have learnded how to do it it is not
difficult to fill *PIN HOLES* but don't try to fill anything larger
than about 1/8" without a backing piece. Any solder work requires
extreme cleanleness <sp?> any oxidation or contamination will keep the
solder from sticking.

After soldering you *must* clean the *inside* well to remove all flux
contamination--the stuff is corrosive and will lead to more holes in a
short period of time.

Old October 9th 06, 03:43 PM posted to alt.autos.antique,rec.autos.antique
Ray or Bobbi Adams

Try using aluminun oxide, does a great job. If you dont wnat to do it over
again, do it right.

Rust holes enginerd477 Technology 15 July 31st 06 03:51 AM
2004 Mustang Convertible: Rust on pedal levers. Dinsdale Ford Mustang 2 March 19th 05 02:21 AM
Additional notes on electrolytic rust removal Bob Hoover VW air cooled 2 October 28th 04 01:09 AM
F.S. RUST FREE 80's BLAZER,PICKUP PARTS, in NH, ME (Military) MilitaryTruckParts 4x4 2 March 27th 04 05:49 PM