US/Canada timing belt interval scam?

Old October 22nd 04, 11:26 AM
Bob Morris

Default US/Canada timing belt interval scam?

In the US the recommended interval for timing belt change
for a 91 Accord is 100,000 miles. Correct?
In Canada it is 100,000 km. Correct?

But, 100,000 miles = 160,000 km.

Are Canadians being scammed?

Forget about conditions.

I live in Ottawa, which approxiates Minnesota.

On the other hand, should time take precendence?

I've got 200,000 km + but the belt was replaced in Apr 97 with 102,000 km.
(6 years old).

So belt is only 100,000 k -- but 7 years old.

Advice?

Bob Morris

Old October 22nd 04, 01:12 PM
Jafir Elkurd

No, the interval is 90,000 miles under "normal" conditions, or 60,000 miles
under Minnesota / Arizona conditions.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:06 PM
John Ings

On 22 Oct 2004 13:31:47 GMT, (Dan Beaton)
wrote:

http://www.plus1performance.com/

>Still in business. His web site was hard to find. I came up with it
>through the Motorpsort Club of Ottawa web site.
>Dan

Thanks! I have always preferred small independent shops in
out-of-the-way locations. They get no walk-in business and depend on
word-of-mouth recommendations from satisfied customers. Pat always did
a good job for me at reasonable prices.

Old October 22nd 04, 04:30 PM
Caroline

"Bob Morris" > wrote
> In the US the recommended interval for timing belt change
> for a 91 Accord is 100,000 miles. Correct?

90,000 miles according to
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ese t663Gates

and

90k miles/6 years at www.autozone.com (91 Accord, repair guides, routine
maintenance, maintenance schedule). This is probably what's in the owner's
manual for U.S. 91 Accords.

> In Canada it is 100,000 km. Correct?

http://www.honda.ca/HondaEng/YouAndY...eCalculator.ht
suggests it's 96k km = about 60k miles .(The site doesn't go back to 1991, but
96k km is the interval for a 92 Civic sedan and 94 Accord.)

But for more recent Canada Hondas, like the 1997 Accord Sedan, the interval is
given as
84 mths/168,000 km Replace Timing Belt & Inspect Water Pump
100,000 km Replace Timing Belt & Inspect Water Pump if regularly driven in very
low temp (-29 C, -20 F)

So I don't think Canada Honda is trying to scam anyone. From 1991 - 1997, design
changes likely occurred in the Accord to justify a different interval.

> But, 100,000 miles = 160,000 km.
> Are Canadians being scammed?
> Forget about conditions.
> I live in Ottawa, which approxiates Minnesota.
> On the other hand, should time take precendence?
> I've got 200,000 km + but the belt was replaced in Apr 97 with 102,000 km.
> (6 years old).
> So belt is only 100,000 k -- but 7 years old.
> Advice?

People do report several timing belt failures a year here. If this were my car,
I'd change the timing belt now.

For the future, if I lived in Ottawa, I'd split the difference between 60k miles
and 90k miles and try an interval of 75k miles and 6 years. Then again, if the
timing belt failed and destroyed my Honda's engine, I could probably buy a new
car tomorrow if I wanted, so my priorities may not be the same as yours.

Old October 22nd 04, 05:21 PM
SoCalMike

Bob Morris wrote:

> Advice?

how much do you like the car?
has the coolant been cared for/replaced every 3 yrs?
how ****ed would you be if the belt broke?
do you feel lucky?

my 98 CX hatch has 47k, and the original belt. however, the coolant is
changed religiously and i live in a temperate climate. however... i
might have it and the water pump changed next year. either do it myself,
have a dealer do it, or a trusted independant. im not sure how lucky i
feel
Old October 22nd 04, 05:37 PM
SoCalMike

Caroline wrote:
> People do report several timing belt failures a year here. If this were my car,
> I'd change the timing belt now.

the only "premature" failure i recall was one with an aftermarket belt

most of the failures are due to neglect... OEM belts that have been on
for 150k miles, etc... which means likely the coolant was neglected too.

all depends how lucky ya feel
Old October 22nd 04, 06:13 PM
Caroline

"SoCalMike" > wrote
> Caroline wrote:
> > People do report several timing belt failures a year here. If this were my

car,
> > I'd change the timing belt now.

> the only "premature" failure i recall was one with an aftermarket belt

My rough recollection is the failures were not premature but were due to delays,
as you say below. The point being: Don't have a nervous breakdown over being a
month or a thousand miles or so late with a TB change, but also try not to roll
the dice.

Well, I wouldn't, anyway, speaking as an amateur.

Someone can google the archives. :-)

> most of the failures are due to neglect... OEM belts that have been on
> for 150k miles, etc... which means likely the coolant was neglected too.
>
> all depends how lucky ya feel

I defer to the technicians who do this for a living. For the record, I am
working strictly from discussion here, a bit of outside reading on the subject,
and personal experience (13+ years) with my 1991 Civic LX (love that velour).
:-)

Old October 22nd 04, 06:50 PM
John Ings

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:13:01 GMT, "Caroline"
> wrote:

>> the only "premature" failure i recall was one with an aftermarket belt

>My rough recollection is the failures were not premature but were due to delays,
>as you say below. The point being: Don't have a nervous breakdown over being a
>month or a thousand miles or so late with a TB change, but also try not to roll
>the dice.

Another factor is belts that failed not because of belt age or milage,
but because of oil seal leaks, idler-tensioner failures, or water
pumps siezing up.