V5 compressor seal replacement

Old July 22nd 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Default V5 compressor seal replacement

My 1996 S10's V5 compressor seems to have a bad seal behind the clutch.
I evacuated it and added one can of R134a and it was trying to work.
(did not add any more R134 until i was sure it was not leaking)
But when i shut it off, i could hear the constant hiss in the area of
the compressor clutch long after the motor was off. I had dye in the
system, but could not see behind the compressor clutch.

What special tools do i need to do this?
I know there are two groups of them. One set to take off the clutch and
put it back on, and another set to remove the seal and put it back on.
I don't need a $250 tool set to do this once. Autozone might have the
clutch tools in there loaner program, but i don't think they have the
seal tools. Any suggestions to do this economically? Since the
compressor is still pumping, i hate to replace it when all it
probably needs is a front seal?

From what i see on line, these compressors are prone to leak.
Any tips? Will any other cars V5 sub to a S10? From what i can tell,
the early ones used o rings on the back and will not directly sub.

Bob

Old July 22nd 06, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

> My 1996 S10's V5 compressor seems to have a bad seal behind the clutch.

<snip>

> From what i see on line, these compressors are prone to leak.
> Any tips? Will any other cars V5 sub to a S10? From what i can tell,
> the early ones used o rings on the back and will not directly sub.

My advice: Replace the compressor. If the system never completely
emptied of refrigerant you could probably get away with changing JUST
the compressor rather than the compressor and the receiver/dryer.

Chris

Old July 22nd 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Bob Urz" > wrote in message
> My 1996 S10's V5 compressor seems to have a bad seal behind the clutch. I
> evacuated it and added one can of R134a and it was trying to work.
> (did not add any more R134 until i was sure it was not leaking)
> But when i shut it off, i could hear the constant hiss in the area of the
> compressor clutch long after the motor was off. I had dye in the system,
> but could not see behind the compressor clutch.
>
> What special tools do i need to do this?
> I know there are two groups of them. One set to take off the clutch and
> put it back on, and another set to remove the seal and put it back on.
> I don't need a $250 tool set to do this once. Autozone might have the
> clutch tools in there loaner program, but i don't think they have the seal
> tools. Any suggestions to do this economically? Since the compressor is
> still pumping, i hate to replace it when all it
> probably needs is a front seal?
>
> From what i see on line, these compressors are prone to leak.
> Any tips? Will any other cars V5 sub to a S10? From what i can tell,
> the early ones used o rings on the back and will not directly sub.
>

> Bob

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Now days the accepted practice is to replace the compressor rather than try
to reseal the shaft. Replacing the shaft seal is a tricky job that often
requires multiple attempts. Now, if you worked in an A/C compressor
reconditioning factory and your job was to replace the seal on every
compressor that came through, you would probably become very efficient at it
and would have a very low failure rate, but if this is the first seal you
ever replaced the chances of you getting it right the first time are rather
slim. Having the correct tool is essential and developing the correct
technique is something that usually takes practice.. Who knows though, you
just might get lucky the first time and save yourself some money. It's your
call, but at least now you have been cautioned .
BTW, I doubt that you will easily find a source for the specific seal
replacement tool because it is customarily sold as part of a universal set,
most of which are rather pricey. You could try OTC, Snap On, or RobinAir
sites to search for the correct tools to service the compressor, just to
name a few.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 23rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Kevin wrote:
> "Bob Urz" > wrote in message
>
>>My 1996 S10's V5 compressor seems to have a bad seal behind the clutch. I
>>evacuated it and added one can of R134a and it was trying to work.
>>(did not add any more R134 until i was sure it was not leaking)
>>But when i shut it off, i could hear the constant hiss in the area of the
>>compressor clutch long after the motor was off. I had dye in the system,
>>but could not see behind the compressor clutch.
>>
>>What special tools do i need to do this?
>>I know there are two groups of them. One set to take off the clutch and
>>put it back on, and another set to remove the seal and put it back on.
>>I don't need a $250 tool set to do this once. Autozone might have the
>>clutch tools in there loaner program, but i don't think they have the seal
>>tools. Any suggestions to do this economically? Since the compressor is
>>still pumping, i hate to replace it when all it
>>probably needs is a front seal?
>>
>>From what i see on line, these compressors are prone to leak.
>>Any tips? Will any other cars V5 sub to a S10? From what i can tell,
>>the early ones used o rings on the back and will not directly sub.
>>

>>Bob

>>News==----
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>Newsgroups
>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>=----

> Now days the accepted practice is to replace the compressor rather than try
> to reseal the shaft. Replacing the shaft seal is a tricky job that often
> requires multiple attempts. Now, if you worked in an A/C compressor
> reconditioning factory and your job was to replace the seal on every
> compressor that came through, you would probably become very efficient at it
> and would have a very low failure rate, but if this is the first seal you
> ever replaced the chances of you getting it right the first time are rather
> slim. Having the correct tool is essential and developing the correct
> technique is something that usually takes practice.. Who knows though, you
> just might get lucky the first time and save yourself some money. It's your
> call, but at least now you have been cautioned .
> BTW, I doubt that you will easily find a source for the specific seal
> replacement tool because it is customarily sold as part of a universal set,
> most of which are rather pricey. You could try OTC, Snap On, or RobinAir
> sites to search for the correct tools to service the compressor, just to
> name a few.

Well, a little searching found a V5 tool seal set for $23.99

http://user388353.wx15.registeredsit...ode=MVP-acTKit

I would still need a snap ring tool (i have) and the clutch tool
(which i think is on the autozone tool loan program).

Is it a crap shoot? You Bet. But i know the pump works
And a replacement pump is hundreds of dollars. I also have seen
many post about people buying replacement rebuilt pumps only to have
them leak too.

Old July 25th 06, 03:40 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:36:18 -0500, Bob Urz >
wrote:

>Is it a crap shoot? You Bet. But i know the pump works
>And a replacement pump is hundreds of dollars. I also have seen
>many post about people buying replacement rebuilt pumps only to have
>them leak too.

A lot of times these seals fail because the compressor wears. You are
sealing in a high pressure gas here so every little bit counts... As
the bearings wear and allow just the tinniest bit of wobble of the
compressor shaft the seal will fail. You can replace it but the new
one will fail again in short order.

Steve B.