Grand Wagoneer '84 Maroon - worth $3k?

Old January 26th 05, 03:42 AM
Jay Pique

Default Grand Wagoneer '84 Maroon - worth $3k?

I've got my eye on a reasonably well maintained '84 Jeep GW, but when
I went to look at it, the solenoid was shot - or so he says.
Additonally, the tires are fair to middlin', and the hood won't quite
close right.

I've googled, and bluebook is like a grand, but wagonmaster would sell
it (restored) for like 20k. WTF?

I've had Cherokees and GCs, but never a GW. The interior is
practically mint, and it's got 106k miles on it. Whaddya think?

JP
**************************
A rec.skiing.alpine(r) looking for a keeper.
Old January 26th 05, 05:25 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sounds like the seller doesn't even think it worth a ten dollar
solenoid. Nor oiling the hood hinges.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 26th 05, 05:32 AM
Jay Pique

Yeah - and it makes me nervous. He claims he's owned 6 of them and
that he's restoring a Porsche 944 that's taking most of his time.
Very odd I'd say. But a good bargaining position - it's almost as if
he's posturing to the fact he really doesn't care if he sells it.

The truck is pretty clean from what I've seen. Almond interior is
undamaged - and I mean UNdamaged. No rips, no real wear, and the
cieling is intact. No new stereo upgrade, and no visible rust.

I really like the looks of this rig, but I really dislike the looks of
the seller. Any opinions? Is he reaching at 3k? Am I reaching at
$2500?

I'd like to get it for 2.5 so I can put new rubber down and have a
couple hundred for immediate upgrades...ie. "new speakers".
JP

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 26th 05, 06:25 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jay,
You might look around in: http://www.ifsja.org/index.shtml
One of the full time transfer cases you want to stay away from.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 26th 05, 03:50 PM
Mike Romain

Crappy tires, accident damage maybe with a bent frame and a blown engine
and the dork wants how much????

Jay, if it didn't have serious problems the owner would spend the $7.00
for a new solenoid so he could at least start it for the buyer unless he
is covering something up.

The hood not fitting could be an expensive or even impossible fix and
could even mean a warped frame that needs to be checked before buying.

I would be 'very' leery of that one.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 26th 05, 06:28 PM
Jeff Strickland

If it is worth it to you, then it's worth it. If not, make an offer or move
on.

news

Old January 26th 05, 10:17 PM
Jay Pique

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:50:55 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Crappy tires, accident damage maybe with a bent frame and a blown engine
>and the dork wants how much????

Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to drive it tomorrow - he
replaced the solenoid.

Someone brought up the tcase (x-case?) being the 229, and being
problematic. In the event it is a 229 (and not some rogue 208),
anyone know the replacement cost? What about swapping out the 229 for
a 208? Is it possible? Cost?

Thanks much -
JP

Old January 26th 05, 11:01 PM
Mike Romain

I hope it is a sweet one!

I always try to play the devils advocate if someone else hasn't just so
someone is aware of potential troubles...

I would say if it shifts nice between all the gears, then it isn't
likely a 'problem' t-case.

Mike

Old January 26th 05, 11:38 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jay,
If you do have the NP 229 with the limited-slip viscous-coupled
differential in the transfer, the newer NP 228 and 219, are
interchangeable: http://www.rubicon4x4.com/transfercases/
http://www.transfercases.com/order.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 27th 05, 01:05 AM
Jay Pique

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:38:31 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III
> wrote:

>Hi Jay,
> If you do have the NP 229 with the limited-slip viscous-coupled
>differential in the transfer, the newer NP 228 and 219, are
>interchangeable: http://www.rubicon4x4.com/transfercases/
>http://www.transfercases.com/order.htm

Hmmm... I plan on going through all the gear/drivetrain combos
tomorrow to feel if they're operating smoothly, but is there anything
else I can do to see if all is well? At a thousand bucks a pop for a
229 I *really* don't want to have to replace it within the first year
or so.

JP
I just bought a new set of tools. I fear nothing.

http://www.billhughes.com/