What are you doing about gas prices?

Old April 30th 06, 07:23 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

Default What are you doing about gas prices?

Lots of talk about gas prices, what about action? What are you doing
about gas prices?

Making fewer trips?

Using the air conditioning less?

Checking your tire pressure and overall vehicle condition?

Using public transportation?

Carpooling?

Changing your commute strategy (compressed week, or alternate work
hours)?

Driving a smaller vehicle?

Using a lower octane grade?

Shutting off engine when you are going to be idling a while?
Old April 30th 06, 07:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

I moved closer to work. Now use about one tank of gas a month.
Got a room air conditioner, too, and use that in the bedroom at night
instead of the whole-house central ac.

Old April 30th 06, 07:41 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:23:43 GMT, zmike6 > wrote:

>Lots of talk about gas prices, what about action? What are you doing
>about gas prices?
>
>Making fewer trips?

Try, but there's places I _have_ to go - work and the health club (temporarily
suspended due to sprained knee...)

>Using the air conditioning less?

No, but I just bought a 13 SEER unit that will be installed within a week to
week and a half. Best I could get with the furnace I have, that only has a 2
speed fan.

>Checking your tire pressure and overall vehicle condition?

The vehicle coasts like crazy. Gonna haveta check those tire pressures here
soon, tho.

>Using public transportation?

Ain't none that will do the job - I'd still have to drive 1 - 1 1/2 miles to
get to an intersecting road, I don't think they'd stop there anyway (there's
just 1 bus a day), and there's no place to park at the bus intersecting point
anyway.

>Carpooling?

I simply refuse to share my space. Period.

>Changing your commute strategy (compressed week, or alternate work
>hours)?

Not available.

>Driving a smaller vehicle?

Bought Subaru WRX - significant improvement over Jeep Cherokee - kept the Jeep
and will use it to take trash to the landfill and to get to certain vacation
events where it is highly advantageous, like deer hunting in Michigan where I
was actually concerned over getting stuck in the snow last year - any lesser
vehicle might have been retrieved in the spring melt.

>Using a lower octane grade?

Sorry, the WRX takes premium.

>Shutting off engine when you are going to be idling a while?

At some of the really slow fast food drive-thrus - McDonald's is the only
really "fast" fast food any more - everyone else seems to be rooted in
concrete.

Dave Head
Old April 30th 06, 07:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

In article >,
zmike6 > wrote:

> Lots of talk about gas prices, what about action? What are you doing
> about gas prices?

Gee - I don't know... and what are you doing about cost of insurance
premiums? Air fares? Pop corn at the movies?
Old April 30th 06, 08:01 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

"zmike6" > wrote in message
news
> Lots of talk about gas prices, what about action? What are you doing
> about gas prices?
>
> Making fewer trips?
>
> Using the air conditioning less?
>
> Checking your tire pressure and overall vehicle condition?
>
> Using public transportation?
>
> Carpooling?
>
> Changing your commute strategy (compressed week, or alternate work
> hours)?
>
> Driving a smaller vehicle?
>
> Using a lower octane grade?
>
> Shutting off engine when you are going to be idling a while?

Besides choosing an economical vehicle and keeping it serviced, I do the
easiest and most frugal thing: cuting out unnecessary driving.
Contrary to current complaints, I suspect that is something most people will
discover they actually can do once gas gets high enough.

Old April 30th 06, 08:35 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

The best way to hedge against rising gas price is to buy oil stocks.
The best way to hedge against rising medical cost is to buy insuance
company stocks. The best way to hedge against inflation is to buy
physical gold or gold stocks. The best way to hedge against life's
misfortune is to buy term life or other insurance. The best way to
profit from real estate boom is to buy REIT ETFs, easy, liquid, more
profit gain. To best way to hedge against weak dollar is to buy strong
foreign currencies, such as EUR or JPY. The best way to hedge against
ignorance is to learn. You see, this goes on and on, and ... what is
the best way to hedge against happiness (or lack of it-unhappiness)?

Old April 30th 06, 08:38 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

> I simply refuse to share my space. Period.

That inflexibility will transform into total flexibility with $7-10/gal
gas as a regular trend.

> Not available.

Employers will find it difficult to find employees willing to lose lots
of money commuting to work. They will have to eventually:

a) open more offices in suburban locations
b) discriminate towards applicants who live on routes of public
transportation

> Sorry, the WRX takes premium.

Sucks for you, and will suck more with time.

Yours In Christ,
John

Old April 30th 06, 08:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

Ivan wrote:
> In article >,
> zmike6 > wrote:
>
> > Lots of talk about gas prices, what about action? What are you doing
> > about gas prices?

> Gee - I don't know... and what are you doing about cost of insurance
> premiums? Air fares? Pop corn at the movies?

Compensate. Buy less. Scale back purchases.

The retail sector can take a huge hit without devastating the economy.
Goods are chinese, and employers cannot find enough employees to work
6.50/hr, so the unemployment doesn't change much. Wal-Mart could go
out of biz without any major effects.

Small businesses will fluorish, as they will be better able to compete
with the big guys, since the big guys will be run into the ground due
to transportation costs. Local growers will come back, local merchants
will come back. Good times ahead for sky high gas prices. The US will
become more resilient because citizens will learn hardship and toughen
their skin, similar to WWII.

Yours In Christ,
John

Old April 30th 06, 08:52 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving

zmike6 wrote:

> Lots of talk about gas prices, what about action? What are you doing
> about gas prices?
>
> Making fewer trips?

Not really.

> Using the air conditioning less?

Have no need for it.

> Checking your tire pressure and overall vehicle condition?

I just make sure my tires are inflated to 60 psi.

> Using public transportation?

Only after sunset

> Driving a smaller vehicle?

I'm not really driving it.

> Using a lower octane grade?

Unless it meets the minimum octane requirement for the vehicle, doing so
is stupid in the long run.

> Shutting off engine when you are going to be idling a while?

Don't do that either.

Higher gas prices have been great for my love life! [email protected] Driving 26 September 14th 05 07:05 PM
Gas prices... Brent P Driving 12 September 7th 05 01:32 AM
High Gas Prices Fuel an Octane Rebellion MrPepper11 Driving 434 August 18th 05 12:25 AM
Motorists Resigned to Soaring Gas Prices Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 59 April 5th 05 02:17 PM
petrol prices Tom Alfa Romeo 5 June 2nd 04 09:45 PM