1985 BMW 325 in Michigan (USA)how much is it worth?

Old December 15th 04, 08:47 PM
Steve

Default 1985 BMW 325 in Michigan (USA)how much is it worth?

I'm looking at a 1985 BMW 325e that has sat out in a parking lot for
the last 6 months. The owner says that the rear end has gone out on it.
It has 165,000 miles on the original motor. It has a standard
transmition, and no air conditioner. The body is fair, but a couple of
small rust spots are starting on the rockers. The leather seats are
o.k. accept for the drivers seat which is pretty much worn out.

Are parts easy to find? Anyone from the Michigan area know where to get
salvage parts?

How hard is it to change the rear end out?

What other things should I look out for before buying this car?
Thanks,

Steve

Old December 16th 04, 01:06 AM
Matt O'Toole

Steve wrote:

> I'm looking at a 1985 BMW 325e that has sat out in a parking lot for
> the last 6 months. The owner says that the rear end has gone out on
> it. It has 165,000 miles on the original motor. It has a standard
> transmition, and no air conditioner. The body is fair, but a couple of
> small rust spots are starting on the rockers. The leather seats are
> o.k. accept for the drivers seat which is pretty much worn out.
>
> Are parts easy to find? Anyone from the Michigan area know where to
> get salvage parts?

There are plenty of parts available in all parts of the country. BMW made over
2 million of this body style.

> How hard is it to change the rear end out?

4 hours.

> What other things should I look out for before buying this car?

A better one with no rust, a decent interior, and a rear end that works. These
cars are all over the place. There are too many nice examples around to bother
with the crappy ones.

Don't worry about mileage -- properly cared for, these cars last to 300k miles
and beyond. One with major problems under 200k is a junker that got that way
from neglect.

Matt O.